Receiver Expanded Story

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
MiloJames

Receiver Expanded Story

Post by MiloJames » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:28 pm

Question
How would Wolfire feel about me writing a story, (maybe even a full novel), based off the world of Receiver? I would develop the world more, take suggestions from the community, and publish it as an eBook on multiple platforms. It would make the game slightly more popular and perhaps inspire a mod for the game. I know David has a lot on his plate right now, so I probably wouldn't be able to contact him about this.

Characters
Unnamed Main Character

Unnamed Character (leads main around until Mind-Kill)

Unnamed Receiver

Unnamed Transmitter

Setting
Futuristic metropolitan area (Reality B, consists of our physical world)

Reality A (consists of mankind in sleep state, transmitters [inhumane beings with dreaming capabilities], the Threat [similar inhumane beings with better technology and terrible morality issues])

Story
Set before the events of the Mind-Kill in third-person. Transmitters are dreaming in the dead drops of tapes and firepower while the Threat is preparing the Mind-Kill. Mankind is going about it's business and living. The tapes are beginning to be discovered. The Threat sees this and through it's mind tech, brainwashes most of mankind to ignore the tapes. The individuals who find the tapes listen to them and continue listening to them again and again, swearing they hear singing. The Threat already had a backup plan for the Mind-Kill; the kill-drones. The Mind-Kill occurs and the Threat dreams in it's kill-drones. Those who consciousnesses were cut off fall into oblivion and their bodies disappear. Those who survive lose their memory. The Transmitters prepared for this, as they set their tapes to brainwash their soldiers, the Receivers, anyways. Those who achieve Awake will appear in Reality A with an actual body instead of a bodiless consciousness. The Main Character goes through all of this. Obviously.

What do you think?

MiloJames

Re: Receiver Expanded Story

Post by MiloJames » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Character Names
Main Character now has a placeholder name: Ellis (always subject to change)

Receiver that pulls Ellis into training camp: Joel

Updates to Story Line
Story will start off with Ellis on a normal day, with events going downward and 'ruining' his life because of the 'voices' in his head. Joel is informed about Ellis through those voices, as he has embraced them. He is the Receiver who can 'hear' the Transmitters with exceptional clarity. Yes, the guy on the tapes.

The Mind-Kill event no longer wipes the memories of the survivors. Not all of the survivors are Receivers. Only the fortunate few who can hear the tapes and voices and understand them. Others will be 'too far gone' and receive anything in a fictional context; dooming them to their fate with the kill-drones.

In Reality A, Ellis will only perceive himself and others in physical bodies because that is how his mind and -censored- can see and understand. I'm still working out how to make it to where he sees 'beyond all known understanding', however you can tell how that is difficult.

Questions?
I know you may ask "why the hell I'm taking time into doing this. It's just a game with a minimalist story; keep it that way." Yes, I know. I see this story and its huge potential. I see a few community members would love a sequel to the game, or at least an expansion upon it. This is something I'm able to do, and it'd be interesting to the people who are not gamers as well.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:28 am

dooming them to their fate with the killdrones.
Unless someone has got a lot of skills

MiloJames

Post by MiloJames » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:10 am

But the story will not be focusing on them considering they are not a Receiver. Perhaps we can leave that for another book! Surviving the Robot Apocalypse. Non-receiver style.

luckywin90

Post by luckywin90 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:20 am

There are many genres you have played but you may have missed a game that is worth a try, let's experience it now! trap the cat