[Mod] Vonkie's mod [04/12/12 - 013] Your own mods!

The place to discuss all things Desperate Gods.
OneFourth

Re: [Mod] Vonkie's mod [04/12/12 - 013] Your own mods!

Post by OneFourth » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:33 am

Thanks for all the positive response! I left my Gimp files in the folders, so anyone could tinker with them (Although they are really messy).

/monopoly/cards/back/5.xcf = Chance/community chest cards
/monopoly/cards/back/properties.xcf = property cards
/monopoly/cards/board/board.xcf = the board

I found the best way to keep the same aspect ratio, was to open the example card and just make a new card based on the alpha channel. Since there are rounded corners on the cards, this method makes it so you keep that.

Knil

Post by Knil » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Looking really good I appreciate the work Onefourth. Just missing the money to make the game playable, unless I missed how to add it?

Knil

Post by Knil » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:11 am

Sorry for the double post but I'm having the same problem Nitzors has, neither me or my gf are able to see the each others game on the server list.

OneFourth

Post by OneFourth » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:46 am

Thanks. The problem I had with the money was a bit of a trade-off.
See, there are only 5 decks I can use in game. So I had to make a choice of either having all the different notes in two decks (The two middle ones, since the town deck was for properties, wilderness was for chance and dungeon lvl 3 was for community chest).

And this would need a lot of sorting before you could play, I thought of maybe having just $1 and $100, but this would get cumbersome at the higher values of like $99 or so.

So instead I just left it, I did include an openoffice excel spreadsheet to keep track of each player's money, but in retrospect I should have converted it into a regular microsoft office spreadsheet.

But it was just four simple sums of each columns' different transactions that took place in the game.
Oh and one thing I forgot to mention, you can use the gold coins as hotels and the silver coins as houses.

NERVNQSR

Post by NERVNQSR » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:17 pm

Me and my friends have been playing version 10 and making our own cards for a long time now, but when we try to set up a game with any version above 10 we can't find each other's servers. Nothing makes it work: hosting in the mod servers, official servers, using direct ip connection, or using hamachi for local.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:18 am

As I mentioned on the previous page, I've been working on some 'cross-regional' playing cards that I wanted to implement into DG. I thought I would share a peek at some of the cards so far...

I'm designing on a Mac, but I do have VMware Fusion installed so I can run a instance of Windows 7 'inside' my Mac. It's sluggish and prone to bugs, but at least I can fire up Vonkie's Mod to troubleshoot when needed. Most of the time I work within a folder of Vonkie's Mod saved onto my Mac. I can't run it, but I'm able to set up all of my image files etc... inside the folder. Then I send them over to the VMware instance to test. I try to avoid doing this frequently because it is so slow. But today I WAS successful in getting one of my card images to display as the 'front' image of all the game cards.

I was mostly concerned about image ratio issues. I've designed the cards at a ratio of 1000x1400px. The original card front has a ratio of 740x1024px. Scaling my cards down to the same height would make them 732x1024, which means that mine are 8 pixels skinnier than the normal cards. Anyhow, before I started the huge process of resizing and adjusting everything I decided to simply try the original (larger size) image In-Game. It looked fine and I didn't notice any clipping issues or see-through problems related to missing pixels. The next time I run a test in Vonkie's Mod I will be sure to take some screen shots to demonstrate how things are moving along.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:31 pm

By the way, here's the Ace of Cups In-Game.

Next step is to clear out all of the card text. :-)

OneFourth

Post by OneFourth » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:22 am

Those look really good! I have a few tips that you might find useful.

(This is when I was testing having money in-game)
As you can see, you can have the individual cards with any sort of size with the appropriate outside transparency (So the image is a square), you'll only see a problem when you stack the cards so it becomes a 'deck' object. It will have black outlines where your texture doesn't fit the deck object, but the 8 pixels difference shouldn't be noticeable.

I would suggest that you have those 'front' part of your cards as the 'back' rather. This is to avoid the victory points and gold value showing up on the 'important' part of the cards. And the actual 'back' of the cards you have as the 'front', since that isn't that important. Another thing you could do is set the victory points and gold to 1 for everything, this would make the smallest impact. But that's all cosmetics really.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 am

OneFourth wrote: I would suggest that you have those 'front' part of your cards as the 'back' rather. This is to avoid the victory points and gold value showing up on the 'important' part of the cards. And the actual 'back' of the cards you have as the 'front', since that isn't that important. Another thing you could do is set the victory points and gold to 1 for everything, this would make the smallest impact. But that's all cosmetics really.
Thanks! I don't honestly recall seeing any random numbers on either side of your monopoly cards. Were 1's being displayed and I just never noticed?

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:24 am

Djemps wrote: Thanks! I don't honestly recall seeing any random numbers on either side of your monopoly cards. Were 1's being displayed and I just never noticed?
Oh my gosh, look at that... There ARE 1's on your cards.... HMMM. :?

Tonight I just happened to take a stab at making a pattern for the back of the playing cards:

Now I need to go back and sort out where the 1's would display on the card and troubleshoot how to conceal them. Maybe a bold inner border that matches the location of the numbers? I might also need to change the border color to black instead of brown to fully hide the numbers.

Gack! I'm just brainstorming now. I'll shut it and try some solutions in the morning.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:40 am

If I might just mention that that back-pattern looks fantastic?
That back-pattern looks fantastic.
I want playing cards like that.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:25 am

eh, I prefer my naked lady cards.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am

Count Roland wrote:eh, I prefer my naked lady cards.
+1

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Count Roland wrote:eh, I prefer my naked lady cards.
LOL. It probably wouldn't be too hard... :lol:

Anyhow, here is attempt #2:

If I have judged things correctly then the solid black border should cover both 1's on the card. When I have time to slog through VMware I will test both card backs.

Ineluki

Post by Ineluki » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:17 am

Hi Vonkie,

I just wanted to say that your mod is really really awesome. <3
I do not want to play without it anymore and already started to modify my version of the game.
Thank you sooo much for this.

But still, I have two questions ...

1) Is there a collection of all in-game resources available ? The ones, you included in the example mod are a great head-start, but what about the others ? Sometimes, a slight modification to the existing ones (e.g. recoloured card graphics) would be just fine, but do I need to use a screen grabber for this ?

2) liamb621 made a 6 player mod for DG. -> viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17089 But because your mod is so awesome, I do not want to miss your mod while playing with 6 players. Is there a way to merge both mods or could you add a 6 (or more) player functionality to the game ? Also, is there a way to allow for spectators, i.e. users just looking at the game in addition to the playing ones ?

Best regards,
Ineluki