Only one card per monster?

The place to discuss all things Desperate Gods.
seiseki

Only one card per monster?

Post by seiseki » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:26 am

I've noticed there's only one card per monster and location.
Which means every monster has about the same chance of appearing.

I'm curious as if there's a reason for this.
Because I think some monsters should be more common and others more rare.
Especially since selecting what monster to fight is a tactical decision because of their special abilities.
Also, the decks run out really fast..

The only deck with duplicates is the Town Deck, and I think that one could also use a few more duplicates for the common items.

j-force

Re: Only one card per monster?

Post by j-force » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:14 pm

I for one am happy with the cards, though it would be neat with more of them, maybe even the ability to switch between special decks with different difficulty levels or such. And about the cards running out too fast: For me a game has averaged at about 2 hours (with only 2 players), I think that's enough :P

Xzalander

Post by Xzalander » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:50 pm

With only two players it does work out about right, but with four players it can soon run short quite quickly depending on how the game pans out.

Last game I played with four people it was over in 35 minutes.

seiseki

Post by seiseki » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:29 am

Well the problem is that each monster provides it's on game mechanic and choice for the player when selecting which monster to fight.
If a monster is defeated that single mechanic is gone because there aren't duplicates.

I also noticed in the Art Assets stream that there was a variable for duplicates, set to 2 for a lot of the cards. Perhaps it was never implemented?

Also, I think the game length being tied to the dungeon decks is a bad idea.
Other than game length, there's no reason why a deck should run out.
This also means that adding new monsters will extend the play time and it makes it harder to balance the decks.

Lexusex

Post by Lexusex » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:11 am

Me and my nerd roommates kinda just fell in love with this simple yet fun game. We now played, dunno, probably over 9000 times.

Anyway, at some point we started setting up own kitchen rules, such as random equipment and creature discard on death and lots of other rpg like elements. One dude started creating cards, and now we have like over 25 new cards, etc.

Multiple copies of stuff became a must, games are much longer, fun, etc. But this is definitely not for everyone, since me and my mates are nerds, who can spend hours playing a single match of this game.
We have our local fun built of the game from open source, with datatext/cards asset heavily modified with card multipliers. Now decks have 8 Eager Guardians, 3 Incensed Wizards and other multiple copies. Games take hours, but sure are fun...

We did not see any balancing issues, but maybe it is because game became more rpg-ish and less competitive.

seiseki

Post by seiseki » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:59 am

Yeah I just found out how to set the duplicates and add custom cards!

So now I'm wondering about alternative rules to end the game.

Kill a special boss only found in Hell? One of 3 special bosses?
The boss would be worth 2 x (your total number of monster cards) and probably require some very special victory and battle conditions.
Like, let's say you need to roll 16+ and you can pay gold/equipment/life for each extra roll.