Martial Arts Video References for Overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Endoperez

Re: Martial Arts Video References for Overgrowth

Post by Endoperez » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:26 am

Thanks! I feel like been posting alone for almost the whole of this thread, though, for more than one and a half years...

More from Arme Antica, those crazy guys in Rome. They're playing with daggers once more. Unlike most guys, they don't just show nice moves, but also explain powerful principles. "The other hand is the last line of defence", "always finish the job regardless of where the technique ends" (followed by a face-stab), "correct biomechanics can lead to effortless power" (followed by a very nice demonstration)... Superb!

Another video from Alex Tse, the master of obscure Chinese weapons. This time we see actual applications, too. The weapons shown are a pair of nasty-looking "swords", spear, and staff. Very good resource for polearm parries, and for countering polearm attacks.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:43 pm

I love how he in the first video stab the guy's balls at 4:39. That's an amazing tutor.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:01 am

Freshbite wrote:I love how he in the first video stab the guy's balls at 4:39. That's an amazing tutor.
Yeah. "What if the other guy's bigger, what then, huh, huh? AAAARG!"

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:51 am

Haha, atleast he's being sincere. That actually is the easiest way to get him down.

SogiYa

Post by SogiYa » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:09 am

simple solution would be to watch "brotherhood of the wolf" repeatedly.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:55 am

The following video is a technical martial arts demo that uses MsPaint drawing to explain why you should learn to walk funny. :lol:
It also shows all kinds of nifty tricks bagua footwork (or good footwork in general) can be used to accomplish - mostly they're about breaking your opponent's balance, or his kneecap. The tactical examples start at about 1:35.

Personally, I think attacks to the feet and legs would probably be too hard to notice during frantic gameplay, and as such they would probably be hard to implement without causing the players endless frustration. Still, MS Paint martial arts? How could I NOT post this?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:49 am

Forum post giving examples of different jabs used in boxing.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/magical-jabs-877950/

With video links and short tactical explanations.

Kestril

Post by Kestril » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:18 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kJZOfq ... r_embedded#!

Not really Martial arts, more of some cool parkor moves, with some scripted fights at the end.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:05 pm

So I've been meaning to post a couple things in here for a long time... so I guess finally...

I've been thinking about modding my style of Kung Fu (Hung Gar) into overgrowth, and I realized that these posters might be a good reference:

The 12 Bridge Hands are basic attacks and defenses:
SapYiKiuSau.jpg
The "famous" tiger-crane set developed by Wong Fei Hung:
FuHok.jpg
A set focused on Qi and breathing called "Taming the Tiger":
GungJi.jpg
And the most advanced set in Hung Gar, the Iron-Thread Set, which if done wrong can damage your organs!
TidSin.jpg
Note that all of those posters go from right to left, top to bottom.

Also, here's a cool video of my teacher from the 60s performing Siu Muy Fa, a long arm set: He first does it slow to show off the moves, then at a faster speed around 2:20.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:08 am

How could it damage your body? D:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:20 am

ariehl wrote:So I've been meaning to post a couple things in here for a long time... so I guess finally...

I've been thinking about modding my style of Kung Fu (Hung Gar) into overgrowth, and I realized that these posters might be a good reference:
Nice! I think one would need to know a bit about Hung Gar to see know how one should change from one posture to the next, but those are a fantastic animation reference any way.

Freshbite wrote:How could it damage your body? D:
Taiji can harm your knees and ankles if you have the legs in a wrong position. If you repeat the same exercise hundreds of times, and you do it wrong, it will probably cause some sort of harm eventually.

I don't know about Hung Gar specifically, but some Chinese styles also have some interesting methods of using the stomach to transfer energy the movement of your legs to your punch. It's done in most martial arts, from a fencer's lunge to a boxer's footwork, but the Chinese styles often have very exotic means of doing things.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13 am

Freshbite wrote:How could it damage your body? D:
The set is designed as an internal set, breathing and a focus on strengthening your organs. Part of the way you are taught to do this is by using vocalizations that resonate at the same frequency as your organs. There are specific pitches and sounds for each organ of your body. (This is of course, all in Chinese philosophy.) So what happens is as you are learning, if you make the wrong sound, the wrong pitch, or the wrong stance with your body, you put stress on your body in a bad way. Some people might argue that it's not possible. My teacher does not teach it to everyone, in fact, in 50+ years of teaching, he has taught maybe 10 or fewer people. However, when he does teach it to people, they show great signs of improvement, and strength in those areas. An example: A student developed a form of cancer in his liver (I believe) and was given 6 months to live. He started doing the Iron Thread set, and survived another 10 years. Maybe not because of the kung fu, but I think it helped.
Also, when my teacher learned it, he said that he could feel every organ in his body, and tell how it was behaving. He had control over it. (I feel like I'm rambling...)
Endoperez wrote: Nice! I think one would need to know a bit about Hung Gar to see know how one should change from one posture to the next, but those are a fantastic animation reference any way.
I agree, of course. But at the same time, there are good poses in there as well. (You can see the double fist punch from Lugaru in Tiger/Crane - third row from the bottom, left most pose) Also, you already included a video of Tiger-Crane set in this post, so it is a good way to kinda see the movements in between. (Although, there is definitely some exaggerated moves in the video, and he is technically doing a slightly different version... which can make some things confusing.)

Also, as a side note, when you referenced the spear vs. butterfly knives, that is our sister school in Hong Kong. Both are descendants of Lam Sai Wing, who is the person in the posters.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:23 am

ariehl wrote:I agree, of course. But at the same time, there are good poses in there as well. (You can see the double fist punch from Lugaru in Tiger/Crane - third row from the bottom, left most pose) Also, you already included a video of Tiger-Crane set in this post, so it is a good way to kinda see the movements in between. (Although, there is definitely some exaggerated moves in the video, and he is technically doing a slightly different version... which can make some things confusing.)

Also, as a side note, when you referenced the spear vs. butterfly knives, that is our sister school in Hong Kong. Both are descendants of Lam Sai Wing, who is the person in the posters.
The Tiger and Crane set is up there, yes, but cross-referencing the video all the time would be difficult, and then there are the other sets. I haven't tried looking for videos of them yet, but since I had trouble even with Tiger and Crane, I doubt I'll get many results. The posters' postures are very nice even without knowing all the in-betweens, though.

Also, I'm feeling a not-so-little twang of jealousy right now. :x I'm still waiting to find a master. I guess that means I'm not ready yet! :lol:

zoovigger

Post by zoovigger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:04 am

Looks like everyone forgot Way of the dragon . The intro when they crack their knuckles and flex could be nice animations... This is unarmed and I know the game will have a round house kick but maybe they can add that nice kick that Bruce Lee always does with the scream Yah!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:21 pm

It's been a while, but I got some new stuff. I think. I'm not sure if I have really managed to ignore ARMA's video gallery for this whole thread, but I can't remember posting them here, either...

http://www.thearma.org/Videos/TPVideos.htm

Arma is an association for people enthusiastic about old European martial arts, mostly swords according to their gallery. They have rapier plays (sparring matches), short sword vs rapier, long sword (= two-handed sword, great sword) from basics to plays, "florysh" in armor and out of it, plays where both players have sword & buckler, and knives, and rapier+dagger, and sword+dagger vs sword+buckler, and more.

Basically, all kinds of sword stuff.

Speaking of sword stuff, I just saw a most beautiful martial arts performance video I've seen in a long, long time. In it, a Finnish man performs Primo Assalto of the two-handed sword, a flourish (or form, or a series of movements in specific order) of the Italian master Achille Marozzo.

Click here to see the video. Be sure to enable the HQ button for high quality. Make sure to watch the whole video - while the flourish is the same in each performance, the swords are different, and the last one is the most impressive one by far.

Here's Ilkka's blog, in English. His Vimeo account also has more videos, which I'll go through at a later time.
http://www.marozzo.com/blog/