Multiplayer. My personal plea to wolfire.

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Endoperez

Re: Multiplayer. My personal plea to wolfire.

Post by Endoperez » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:53 am

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/multiplayer-news/

Well, they've considered it for a while. A better word would be "implemented" or something similar.

I haven't seen the video yet, how well does the camera work?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:46 pm

The new auto camera is way sweeter than I thought it would be. I'm not a big fan of auto cameras in 3rd person games, but use this one.
AND NOW! SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN! You are getting basic co-op! I don't have any 360 controllers, but lots of people do. Go get your friend, polyoptics, and have him/her bring a 360 controller. Got play multiplayer, now! You've got it because David is amazing.
Now, someone kill this thread with a nuke from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

last

Post by last » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Yeah maybe after David makes splitscrean this kinds of threads will disapear.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm

God, I hope so. But on the PS2, I remember that GTA: San Andreas had shared screen co-op too. So, David > Grand Theft Auto. By a lot.

Nixitur

Post by Nixitur » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:04 pm

I really like the auto camera, but it could use some work. I tried playing Suspension (a parkour map with loads of consecutive wallruns) with a controller and it's almost impossible because the camera points in the direction you wallrun which isn't optimal for most cases. The camera also seems to point a bit too high. It's often rather tricky to see the ground.
But other than that, I really love this addition!

Edit: Actually, it seems that the problems I have are mostly subjective. After training a bit, it's even easier than with WASD, especially for running around in the inside of a hexagonal or octagonal shape.
Although it really seems that the auto camera dislikes the ground, but that might just be because of the level design.

polyoptics

Post by polyoptics » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 am

illogicalAlready wrote:
I'm curious what people (especially main advocates of PvP) think about co-op. Would it be a satisfactory replacement in lieu of PvP, or would co-op lack something that you can only get from PvP?

Also, like single-player and perhaps unlike PvP, there's a possible argument to be made that co-op would lend itself well to the cinematic combat experience that Overgrowth seeks to create
Co-op is fun. Co-op and team based PvP can definitely give the same sort of feeling when you are succeeding in a group and coming up with strategies together to overcome a certain situation. Co-op can also help a lot to overcome the 'hamster on a wheel' feeling, that pvp players can get, when playing a single player game.

However, PvP (competitive multiplayer in the form of direct combat), is very much its own animal, offering a completely different experience than co-op. The rush in PvP is all about fighting another human, where 'out thinking' can lead quickly to out playing. Personal style and strategy can be taken to a new level; You can tell who is playing by how they play, so long as the combat system is robust enough to handle it.

An interesting aspect in the new alpha video regarding cameras: The ability to lock your view or target a specific player could play a large part in PvP combat. Part of a well made combat system is how intuitive/smooth the experience is -- easy to learn and hard to master. Player targeting could be a great tool here.

Korban3: I fear for you... the more multiplayer makes its way into OG, the more threads there will be, not the other way around. :D

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:40 am

polyoptics wrote:Korban3: I fear for you... the more multiplayer makes its way into OG, the more threads there will be, not the other way around. :D
Yeah. It's like dismemberment. Sometimes it feels like every new forum user has something to say either about multiplayer, or dismemberment, and half the time it seems to be "omg do it".

I have nothing against people requesting things, but hearing the same requests over and over again does grow a bit stale.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:04 pm

I suppose come to think about we've probably been a bit harsh. New posters don't know the rules that the rest of us have learned. My first post was about the swords being boring in Lugaru, and needing improvement. This was before I preordered. This was also a point that had been mentioned to death. This was exactly the sort of game-suggestion-by-non-preorderer-in-Wolfire-on-topic-beaten-to-death that would annoy the hell out of me today. I think Janne was even the first to respond to me. I actually thought he was part of the Wolfire team :lol:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:39 pm

I don't think that PvP is really all that exciting. Rather than exploiting AI glitches and bugs, it'll end up being a bunch of exploiting nicks and dents in the combat and movement. For instance, the rolling is faster than running, so it's faster to roll around enemies than run. This would eventually turn into a ton of people playing Goron all over the place.
I don't mind being harsh. I'm a insensitive, uncaring jerk so I'm all for pissing on the next multiplayer thread. I wouldn't mind them if they discussed possible help with servers, features or setup. But they usually are "omg do it" where PvP is placed on a glorious pedestal of adrenaline that is worshiped by people who don't dig single player, which happens to be OG's main focus as far as we can tell. Co-op is cool, but full-on PvP feels as un-OG styled as a fully fledged water system. (Please derail, please derail, please derail)

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:20 pm

Korban wrote:(Please derail, please derail, please derail)
Korban wrote:...as un-OG styled as a fully fledged water system.
ZOMGZ WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT OVERGROWN NEEDZ WATER DID THEY SAY THEY WER'ENT PUTTING IN WATER CODZ HAZ WATER GAHHHHHHHH

I don't think that PvP is really all that exciting. Rather than exploiting AI glitches and bugs, it'll end up being a bunch of exploiting nicks and dents in the combat and movement. For instance, the rolling is faster than running, so it's faster to roll around enemies than run. This would eventually turn into a ton of people playing Goron all over the place.
Completely agree with this. Multiplayer games always always have exploits, and I don't want OG to turn into that. It's supposed to be cinematic fighting. Co-op would be awesome though, and it looks like it's going to be in for sure, as David has already made it semi-possible, albeit annoying. He did talk about split-screens though, so I'm sure that will change.

SuXoR

Post by SuXoR » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:18 am

dont want to have to experience the effects of multiplayer? dont play multiplayer.
Sry blunt statement is blunt

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:21 pm

If they could conjure up multiplayer in a month, without it impacting other facets of development, sure. But I don't want to wait another year for multiplayer in a single player game. Some people might, but I don't.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:36 pm

That's why I said do the main game first, even with multiplayer in mind and release it. Then work out mulitplayer and release it as a free DLC of sorts. David's no noob like me. I don't mind the co-op being done now because that's the only multiplayer I would play unless multiplayer takes on a Minecraft-esque tone in some modes. That'd be cool, but feels rather un-OG as well.
It's not the possibilty that PvP might be made that would bug me, it's the amount of work that is moved from the main game to multiplayer that does.

SuXoR

Post by SuXoR » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:07 pm

fair enough, I'd appreciate it out sooner rather than later as well. Long as later still has multiplayer of some form ^^

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:44 am

I think this would be the best compromise. People who would wait can wait; people who don't want to don't have to. As long as Wolfire's up for it.