Will there be L.A.N multiplayer?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Retarded Username

Re: Will there be L.A.N multiplayer?

Post by Retarded Username » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Sure, Endo, but please acknowlodge that there are rules, STICKIED on the SPF that say that you must look for your topic first, or that you shouldn't necro threads.

And it looks like almost nobody reads those, look at all the "Bows and arrows" or "Blood and gore" threads

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Retarded Username wrote:And it looks like almost nobody reads those, look at all the "Bows and arrows" or "Blood and gore" threads
Times like this I almost wish there was a like button for posts. Except not really, like buttons on forums are godawful.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:33 am

There's actually no time limit to bumping, in here.

"9. Do not bump old posts if you have nothing to contribute to the thread."

Hamachi interaction hadn't been mentioned here, so it's fine.

And again, if you don't want new people to talk in old threads, or make new threads, then where are they supposed to talk? If the rules tell people not to talk about Overgrowth in Overgrowth forums, the rules are wrong and should be changed.

SamW

Post by SamW » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:55 am

andrew4333 wrote:I hope so. If there is, You could use Hamachi, To play with your friends over the internet, Rather than needing them to come to your house and play.
Hamachi/VPN is really only a tool to subvert DRM checks for online play by using a game's (restrictive) LAN mode (if the game has a LAN mode at all). Or it is a tool for people who can't properly fix hosting ports on their router.

I am sure if there is a networked mode, it will work on LAN and internet (as long as you know how to configure your router) because the game will be agnostic to whether you are connecting via LAN or WAN. In other words, there is no way the game will have any sort of restrictive (LAN only) networked mode because that only exists when a developer wants to put DRM on their online mode (while leaving the LAN mode as a kinda same household reprieve from DRM). LAN only modes are a relic of the past. Nobody who does DRM these days have a LAN only mode...

The question really should be, Will there be networked multiplayer? Who knows, the consideration of latency and synchronization is a complex issue and is introduced by having network multiplayer. Since the engine is custom and there is likely nothing that could be plugged into it, the networked game logic would require quite a lot of work to integrate.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Endoperez wrote:There's actually no time limit to bumping, in here.

"9. Do not bump old posts if you have nothing to contribute to the thread."

Hamachi interaction hadn't been mentioned here, so it's fine.

And again, if you don't want new people to talk in old threads, or make new threads, then where are they supposed to talk? If the rules tell people not to talk about Overgrowth in Overgrowth forums, the rules are wrong and should be changed.
When did I ever say that I didn't want new threads to be made? The rules say that you should look into the threads that are already there, to answer whatever your question is or add into the discussion(Like you just reminded me about the exact rule quote, thanks).

My post was really pointless then...
You should still acknowlodge that not reading the rules spawned the dozens of "Bows" or "Gore" threads.
And so are our posts breaking the rules, we are adding nothing to the discussion
Sorry for this, Endo.

*Goes into solitary confinement*

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:42 am

I thought there were lots of comments directed at new people making posts that boiled down to "this again? search for it". Now that I actually tried searching for those I couldn't find that many, and I had made many of the more recent ones myself! :? It looks like I was wrong on that, both on assuming you had posted comments like that, and in thinking it was a common thing in the forums here. Sorry.

I don't think it's the rules, or not following them, that spawn the bow and gore threads. Those two are things many people want to see, and that's why people talk about the features.