Ode to Black Shades

Post by Viking Zippy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:06 pm

Here's a little video I made of Black Shades that I finished about a week back:

Ode to Black Shades.

Thoughts?

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:09 pm

Dude this game is so much better on a mac, I had no idea.

I can't do half that shit man! That's crazy.

I'm not done watching this thing yet.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:18 pm

Zantalos wrote:Dude this game is so much better on a mac, I had no idea.

I can't do half that shit man! That's crazy.
That wouldn't surprise me too much, it was originally written for OS 9 by David, and the port was by someone else, so ... yeah :P

No slow-mo or force push though? Now that would be surprising ...
Zantalos wrote:I'm not done watching this thing yet.
Good, because oddly enough, the credits are the "best" part :P

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:29 am

:lol: Sweet, man. I SUCK at BS... give me YOUR skills :evil: !!

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:35 am

Viking Zippy wrote:No slow-mo or force push though? Now that would be surprising ...
We still have the slo-mo aiming thing, but no push.

Damnit I want force push now.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:10 am

Basically it's all there... well no it's not all there, the laser sight does not work at all, there is basically no collision detection for the buildings so if you force push someone into them, they fly through it, force push can only be used to push people horizontally, you can't throw them up into the air with it, when you get blown up by an explosion the screen instantly cuts out, the rifle has no kick back (they only kick straight up and shoot like a bazillion rounds per second) and the shotgun acts like a semi automatic rifle and you can shoot it rapid fire, people randomly disappear in broad daylight, when you disarm someone your view sometimes shifts and points awkwardly at the sky so you can't see what you're doing, and when you dive tackle someone you always dive to the east no matter what.

Ha ha, the ending scenes in credits are pretty awesome but I think next time you need to increase the speed of that text more, it's soo slow man! :o

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:13 am

Good job, Krow :)

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:46 am

Awe-Some.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:25 am

Zantalos wrote:Basically it's all there... well no it's not all there, the laser sight does not work at all, there is basically no collision detection for the buildings so if you force push someone into them, they fly through it, force push can only be used to push people horizontally, you can't throw them up into the air with it, when you get blown up by an explosion the screen instantly cuts out, the rifle has no kick back (they only kick straight up and shoot like a bazillion rounds per second) and the shotgun acts like a semi automatic rifle and you can shoot it rapid fire, people randomly disappear in broad daylight, when you disarm someone your view sometimes shifts and points awkwardly at the sky so you can't see what you're doing, and when you dive tackle someone you always dive to the east no matter what.
Sometimes assassins disappear in broad daylight when they're crossing the street, but they come back if you get at the right angle.

Wow though, I didn't know there was that much missing from it :shock:
Zantalos wrote:Ha ha, the ending scenes in credits are pretty awesome but I think next time you need to increase the speed of that text more, it's soo slow man! :o
Thanks, but the problem is there were a lot of credits; if I'd made the credits faster, they would've disappeared off the screen a good minute or two before the action is done :P
Silb wrote:Good job, Krow :)

Are you insinuating I'm not also known as Krow? :D
BunnyWithStick wrote:Awe-Some.
Thanks, good to hear that coming from a fellow Black Shades aficionado :)

Pity I only found out about the grenade launcher from a post of yours just last night, I would've included that in there ... was it in the readme? :shock:

Maybe that could be a sequel though 8)

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:26 pm

Yeah, it's listed in the readme as "g+shoot=launch grenade".

A cool thing to do would be force push a group of five assasins into the air during slomo, and then shoot each one with an impact grenade, one after the other. Or just demonstrate painting the non-existant white lines on the road black with assault rifle impact grenade craters.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:15 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:Yeah, it's listed in the readme as "g+shoot=launch grenade".
Bleh, I missed that :P
BunnyWithStick wrote:A cool thing to do would be force push a group of five assasins into the air during slomo, and then shoot each one with an impact grenade, one after the other.
That is an excellent idea; the only problem is seeing as how I can't get the custom levels to work, getting five assassins all standing in a group is tough, I don't see that very often :?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:17 pm

You had three in a group about in the middle of the movie/recording/whatever the hell you call it (Not the credits).

You don't really need five.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:33 am

In some levels I had 5 people in a row all with guns trying to kill the VIP. So I mowed them down with my machinegun.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:54 pm

Do these game problems also happen in the OS X version?

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:23 am

If you're talking about the problems Zantalos listed, besides assassins disappearing from sight and reappearing from a different angle, nope, those aren't in the OS X version.

There is, however, a bug in 10.3 where the cursor is onscreen; it wasn't in 10.2, and it's not in 10.4, oddly ...