Lightning's Shadow suggestions

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Gramage

Lightning's Shadow suggestions

Post by Gramage » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:55 am

I emailed these to [email protected] but thought I'd post 'em here to see what other people think.

-----

-More Spells. It'd be nice to have more elements to select from, like Water, Wind, Earth, etc.

-Powerups. I have no idea how these would be implemented. I was thinking that the powerups pop up randomly in the levels and if you hit one with your weapon of choice, you get it and it does whatever it's supposed to do (make your attacks stronger, increase walking distance, extra turn, or whatever else).

-More levels. This one isn't really a biggy, but it would be cool to have battles in a high-tech building or a desert along with the original levels.

I can't remember my other suggestions but these were the main ones. The game is great allready, and highly addictive, but these would make it even awesomer.

Anyone else have neato suggestions?

Gramage

Post by Gramage » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:57 am

ah, my mail app saved a copy of the email

---

-More spells. It would be cool to see other elements available for selection, like Water, Wind, Earth, etc.

-Powerups. I don't know how these would be implemented, I was thinking they just randomly pop up in the level and if you hit it with your weapon of choice, it does [insert whatever it's supposed to do here].

-More levels. Maybe some inside a futuristic building, a desert, etc...

-Options. There's no way to change volume levels and whatnot. Not a biggie, but I've swapped out the bgm .ogg files for some songs from my library (hope that's cool) and the sfx kinda drown them out.

I don't know how easy/hard it would be to do any of these, or how motivated you'd be to do them seeing how (as far as I can tell) the game is freeware, but it would be awesome.

---

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:31 pm

1. there already is an earth one, and air might be hard to implement.
2. Cities wouldn't fit the theme of monks, though an iland or desert might be cool.
3. powerups might be how to get more spells in the first place! :D

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:08 pm

I don't intend to offend anybody here, but, none of Wolfires games are ever really "finished".

Feel free to yell at me now.

Gramage

Post by Gramage » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:46 am

Nayr wrote:1. there already is an earth one, and air might be hard to implement.
2. Cities wouldn't fit the theme of monks, though an iland or desert might be cool.
3. powerups might be how to get more spells in the first place! :D
There's an earth one? Do you mean the fireball thing?

As for air, I was thinking it could be a white ball that, when it explodes on impact, doesn't do much damage to the things near it but monks nearby get "blown away". Not far enough for it to be instant death every time, but enough so that if someone's percariously perched, you could knock them off (which would also motivate people to change location more often).

And perhaps instead of a high tech building they could be inside a giant monestary or something.

[edit]

hmm just had a cool thought. Maybe water and wind could be powerups? Instead of weapons in themselves they enhance the ones you allready have. For example, when you get the water powerup, your ice shot turnes to a liquid nitrogen spray and the fireball turns to magma, or something, and the wind one gives everything immunity to wind. Don't know what good either of those would do to lightning... maybe water makes it a wider bolt and wind gives it a big kick?

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:11 am

I was thinking one would start out with one power, and gain all the others through power-ups. I also think that the Ice one should be different, because it does hardly any damage.

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:13 am

definatly

lightning is too powerful and ice sucks

Ruahine

Ice sucks?!?!?

Post by Ruahine » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:29 pm

What do you mean ice sucks and doesn't do enough damage?
Ice does 99 damage normally (that is if you fire it high enough), and is easier to aim than lightning (atleast it is for me) which seams to only do 30 odd damage.
But anyway I really support continued development of Lightning Shadows. The game has got so much potential to just be thrown aside.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:34 pm

ALL of them can do 99 damage! You just have to use the wind the right WAY! Though, it is hard to hit someone Ice AND do high damage.
Last edited by Blorx on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:20 pm

*agrees with blorx*

Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:48 pm

Only Ice and Fire can do high damage. Lighting is a max 25 (36 in jungle levels). You will do a lot of damage to yourself with Lighting though, but I doubt that's what you had in mind.

The Spoon

Post by The Spoon » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:04 pm

Possibly a "Bouncing" lightning powerup with limited (Say, Two?) casts?

I agree with Ruahine, this game has too much potential to be thrown aside. Just because it has enough features to be considered "finished" it doesn't mean it can't be made alot better. Sorry if you take this offensively David. Anyway, great game, hope it becomes a greater game than it already is.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . ./\ . . . . . . . ./\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . /..\. . . . . . . /..\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . ./....\ . . . . . ./....\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ._____ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

-The Spoon

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:40 am

In my opinion, ALL games can be made better, some alot more than others.

Gramage

Post by Gramage » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:28 am

If it's doable, a level creator/editor would rock. I tried just messing with the terrain images in photoshop but it didn't work. I assume there's some masks somewhere that let the game know what's terrain and what isn't, but I cant find em :D

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:11 pm

i love and despise games that use terrain maps, they are supposedly "easy" to edit, but you have to be able to draw well,or is it good?