Is arena the stage for multiplayer?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Count Roland

Re: Is arena the stage for multiplayer?

Post by Count Roland » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:11 pm

yeah but if you had an ally, since we are talking about multiplayer.

gamegoo

Post by gamegoo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:04 pm

Count Roland wrote:yeah but if you had an ally, since we are talking about multiplayer.
yes i know that but there aren't going to be just 4 or 8 (depending on how many people will be allowed at once) enemies in horde mode you have upwards of 25-50. Now if we had a controlled amount flowing bit by bit then it could be possible.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:11 am

You've got to remember that Overgrowth may have shields and ranged weapons, allowing you to make a minature fort with archers around the outside and swordsmen inside to defend.

Course you'd need a hell of alot of shields to make a fort, but you get the point. Even if archery is out of the question, enough throwing weapons might function similarily.

I imagine that wave 1 is a pair of rats, and wave...50 or so would probably be an entire siege force with cats, dogs, wolves, rats and rabbits armed with weaponry.

Now I'm making stuff up, this is different from speculation.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Hmm... I would asume that an arena would be used for a Non Nomadic race or a race that wanders in a circle and come back to a locaton every so often. Judging by the fact that these are primitive humanoids, we could have a Deep muddy pit that a contestant is throwen into. The walls could be logs planted into the ground like a Palisade wall, to keep the player in, there is a crowed of people that will grab you by Defult and throw you back into the ring. You could have knives and other weapons be throwen from above to offer as you beat the crap out of some one, depending on how many points you scored in the fight like in L1, or on how brutaly you maime or hurt your enemys (not killing them), or even bathing Turner in the enmmys blood and covering most of his body in it (EG: Holding up a body over your head and latting large amounts of blood to run out of the body).

Objects inside could be Palisade constructons that offer higher ground, wallkicks, or even something to kick onto your enmmys. Maybe there could be some Rocks and bulders, or even poorly concelade spike pits.

One thing about Arenas could be your Trying to survive, beat up your enemy, but at the same time be awareded crowed favor by taunting your enemy after a beat down.
Favor could be audio cued by cheering as your beating some one, or boing as your beating some one.

Arenas are about Brutality and Entertaiment because TV is not avalible.

You like?

gamegoo

Post by gamegoo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:14 am

I like :D

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:18 pm

Has anyone here seen Fable 2?
It's a weak example, but the arena is pretty well made and it's fun to play.

There are different levels involved, and it's a bit like pokemon stadium because each level has a theme to it, grassy forests, old buildings, depending on what the fight is about. That diversity certainly would make the maps interesting to play on. I'd like to see a fight in a Shakespearean round house, and then move onto a Greek amphitheater hewn from old stone. Shake up the moods a bit.

How about some closed in levels? From what I've gathered in Lugaru most of the battles were in open areas with a lot of space, a change in zone might make people's play styles vary.

The arena in Fable 2 also has pressure traps that you can use (in 1p) to take out enemies in more amusing ways. Spike pits, all that nonsense.

A couple of mates and I think it would be awesome to have that in a multiplayer experience. The chaos of having traps like the spike pits and flame shooters would dishevel the skill element, but make fights epic! Coupled with weapon drops to spice things up, you could just have a mad mode where it was more about staying alive.

Multiple parts in battle levels are cool, like different heights so you have to jump across poles (think either crouching tiger, or Dragonball) whilst fighting, and knocking people down into the lower levels where there's a bit of a brawl going on already. You could vie for position at certain points, like a king of the hill method.

I have in my mind, a giant circle area for fighting which is held up by rickety wooden poles, that also jut out around the structure, and around the edge is a second level that allows players to fall off without immediately falling, but then around that is a large empty pit of DANGER (lava, spikes, oil - you name it) and you sumo your opponents out. The round could start with everyone above the level, and they all get thrown down into the pit!

Is this based on a server? You could have a mode where you're just thrown in to a giant fight, and another mode where it was round based and you had individual winners for each round.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Chainsaw man wrote:The walls could be logs planted into the ground like a Palisade wall, to keep the player in, there is a crowed of people that will grab you by Defult and throw you back into the ring.
Love the idea of having an outside force pushing you back.

Spectator mode should be in control of the crowd, and you could vote for who you were rooting for. The crowd would then roar at your command, and you could make contestants try for more fancy moves.

Healey

Post by Healey » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:20 pm

gamegoo, r u da one of da world of goo dudes? if so rock on, that game kicks ass, and its not violent, so meh folkies dont have sezuires when i play it =D

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:02 am

Uberbeard wrote:
Chainsaw man wrote:The walls could be logs planted into the ground like a Palisade wall, to keep the player in, there is a crowed of people that will grab you by Defult and throw you back into the ring.
Love the idea of having an outside force pushing you back.

Spectator mode should be in control of the crowd, and you could vote for who you were rooting for. The crowd would then roar at your command, and you could make contestants try for more fancy moves.
Why not a player being a guy in the crowd cheering?

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:16 am

That's what I'm saying.

You could revert to 'crowd mode' when you die.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:05 pm

Heres an idea, chear leaders! chear leaders are female models in skimpy outfits that play when a battle is over. Sort of a replacement for warm up mode?

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:37 am

Sounds like an entire mini-game of it's own.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:11 am

It's "its".
Chainsaw man wrote:Heres an idea, chear leaders! chear leaders are female models in skimpy outfits that play when a battle is over. Sort of a replacement for warm up mode?
This sounds like in boxing when they get the skimpy women to go around between rounds holding up the number of the next round.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:54 am

Quite so, you retentive cur.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:32 pm

lol. Someone's upset.