environments and weather

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products

do you think lugaru 2 should have a complex climate?

yes
79%
yes, but without the time-of-day thing
No votes
no, but I would like the time-of-day thing
14%
yes, but no random stuff
No votes
yes, but only random stuff
No votes
no, sounds cool but also sounds like it would take for ever to put in the game
7%
no, its a stupid idea
No votes

Total votes: 14

Homocidal Ham

environments and weather

Post by Homocidal Ham » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:33 pm

in lugaru 2 there should be more variety on weather and make different environments actually affect you

there should be storms and weather patterns, some occuring from editor and some randomly

in snow there should be random blizzards that can acctually make a person freeze if they stay in too long an there should be like frozen lakes that sometimes have enough ice to walk on and others will break if you go near them. you should also be able to set how deep snow is in different areas with four predetermined amounts:default-no effect at all, light-slower running, medium-no animal style running, really slow running, and heavy-youhave to jump to move. in some large hill areas there should be avalanches.

in sand there should be the option to add quick sand. dust devils should happen both randomly and from triggers, there efect should slightly affect you when your in air and throw when you jump into it

in grass there should be randomly occuring rain and mud slides (if the ground gets too wet. there should also be tornados that if you get with in a certain distance of (depending on the strength) you are sucked into them and thrown a LONG way high in the sky
there should also be lightning (with a realistic chance of hitting you) that will hit objects if they are too high, it is also attracted to metal weapons.

there should also be a new environment: swamp/wetland where you can set how dence vegatation is and you could also get traped when swimming through rough foliage and drown trees could also break and fall while your under or on them

and there should be day and night where one second equals five minutes
and some levels would give you a certain time (you could also set what people do during certain times of day in the editor)

However I doubt we will see this in lugaru , I don't think david could put all this in lugar 2 but if he could I would love it (it would also make lugaru extreamly realistic)

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:46 pm

That sounds really great! If all this is possible in Lugaru 2 it would make an incredible addition. The bunnies could, like, eat breakfast early, lunch mid, dinner late, and then sleep depending on the time. It sounds like a really neat idea.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:48 pm

I would expect to see some of the things you mentioned in Lugaru 2 for sure. although, some of your ideas are less likely, such as avalanches and mudslides.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm

Poll
Of course, as already stated here ;)

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:18 pm

Oh man, that would be so sick. That'd be the sickest thing I could ever think of, holy crap that would be so sick. Sick dude, sick!

I think those ideas would be awesome (sick)! When I first heard of that Heavy Realistic Weather thing, I was like alright, that'd be cool. I like the idea of slippery grass, it be like real life where you can slide down hills on your shoes. I'm not sure how David would let Turner catch heat flashes but that would be very cool, and then I though about water filling up the lanscapes, that is so cool. But it seems impossible to do, if some one is that good, damn, he just created evaporation, condensation, precipitation, the whole ecosystem shibang.

And now, things like weather patterns, even cooler. Dust clouds, besides being able to jossle you in the air (could that happen? I've seen dust devils but they are extremely weak), they could like blind people with sand if they got too close to them. Awesome blurry vision, bad news for Turner (I'd probably be trying to get into every one of them).

But I still really think temperature is a cool idea aswel. In the latter thread, they discussed how it would effect your general abilities and stamina (that'd be cool, hey, do animals sweat? Dogs don't, maybe Turner should have some over exagerated panting if he gets too hot). But I completely forgot about the cold. Besides frozen lakes (that would be very awesome, like those fun glass floor levels in FPSs), there should be a heat gauge for Turner (cept you probably wouldn't see the guage), and depending on where you were, you have to wear the appropriate clothing/armor. Thin clothing (does metal armor freeze you?), would kill you in the snow due to hypothermea, like wise, thick clothing (does metal armor burn you?), would cause you to pass out from heat strokes. I don't know how game mechanics work, but I think it would be easy to show Turner's condition without a HUD. A unsteady camera (maybe blurring) when he is in hyperthermea, and a really shivering, maybe delirius Turner when he is in hypothermea. Check this out, uncontrollable bleeding (reduced coagulation enzyme), when you have hypothermea. That kinda sucks. :)

This idea is just crazy, I would love to see this happen in Lugaru. Then again, I want to see everything happen in Lugaru. Except some things like lightning strikes hitting you would really suck, game over buddy (hitting trees, would be spectacular though), and I'm not sure how tornados are formed, that would also be a one hit kill, no way you can survive a tornado (at least you can see them coming.... at you going 75 mph).
heh, started typing and reading things after Bob posted, now Rudel has posted too
Pretty interesting photo (why'd it get so big?)

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:49 pm

That sounds cool but.. one has to wonder, how long will it take for those "features to go from "oh cool" to "That nth random mudslide made my journey from A to B take 4 times as long".
Anyone here played Sacred? Hostile NPCs in that game can cast a net-thing on you from very far away, it lasts about 5 seconds and they can cast it infinitely. Consider that much of the game consists of traveling across VAST distances all filled with NPCs... it can become annoying very very quickly.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:54 pm

Sacred is that Diable style game right? I guess that would be pretty annoying considering the bird's eye view and mouse controll. Those kind of games are fun to play only by their item, weapon, and armor selection. It's fun to just level up, earn money, buy equipment, and complete quests. Everything else gets on my nerves, I hate having to chase down fleeing enemies, dodge arrows and any other projectile objects/magics, travel through large landscapes, and explore dungeons only to find multiple dead-ends and locked entrances. It's because movement is so boring, theres no jump, crouch, roll, or anything that would make the game fun. Since all you get is a mouse mover and a sprint/walk button, anything meant to slow you down will just create boring, menial tasks. An undodgeble spell attack coming out of nowhere that causes you to travel even slower, while you're already doing something boring, would probably make me close down the game and chuck the disc out the window.
But Lugaru is different, it's fun to explore outside the game boundaries, or wander around aimlessly for no reason, the world is Turner's playground, and he is very skilled at having a good time. I wouldn't think running through frozen lakes (running through lakes that are breaking apart as you move on them), traveling through hot deserts (phew, almost posted desserts), narrowly avoiding projectile traps, or jumping over fresh snow would create the same boring content as a general action role-playing game would (talking about games like Diablo). So, even if you're winding up in mudslides and rolling down slippery hills, which causes you to spend 4 times as much time as it "should." The gameplay would still be fun. It's hard to compare two drastically different games like these, because in Diablo, I just want to get somewhere fast. But in Lugaru, I don't mind taking a bunch of detours.
Wouldn't mind going river fishing either.