Additions to the Lugaru 2: Health Meter

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
JLrep

Post by JLrep » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:41 pm

In response to the bob's first original post, and Zantalos's quote in particular, I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle; Zantalos was commenting that the warning signs of low health seemed inaccurate. Why, then, instead of proposing any type of health bar, don't you instead propose that the warning signs already present - blurred vision, swaying camera, Turner holding his side - be more accurate?

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:00 am

I agree with JLrep.
The first Lugaru gives you signs if you're damaged, and some of the same effects could be used in Lugaru 2.
Perhaps with a bit more red-ish blurs, or whatever. (Like CoD2, like someone mentioned)
And you know, more accuracy. =P

Anyfruit. Whatever type of effect David choose to introduce in Lugaru 2,
I bet it's going to be better than what we could rant about here. ;P

I love the idea of scars! Small cuts and such could disappear after a short period of time,
but if an enemy manages to slash you with a sword when your health is low/his hit almost kills you,
and you barely manage to escape the fight alive, then you would be left with a deep cut that would leave a nasty scar. :O

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:49 am

And if you get the one-in-a-million deep wound and leaves the scene as healthy as ever, it will barely leave a scar. :|

JLrep

Post by JLrep » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:34 pm

Zaphon wrote:Anyfruit. Whatever type of effect David choose to introduce in Lugaru 2,
I bet it's going to be better than what we could rant about here. ;P
That's a good point. That's the same reason I don't seriously give suggestions for changes to the combat system, because not only does David (and his crew) clearly have a lot of idea what he's doing, but I hardly doubt his judgement.

SMNMX

Post by SMNMX » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:08 pm

Ooh... the scar system admittedly sounds very cool indeed.

GaGrin

Re: To Hell With Your HUDS

Post by GaGrin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:34 am

Macdogg wrote:In my opinion Lugaru's idea of removing a HUD was one of the most ingenious innovations in the Third Person gaming. It made things much more simplified and I'd hate to see L2 to go 2 steps backwards.
I agree with Macdogg on this point.

I'm not adverse to some minor HUD elements where they are unavoidable as long as they are context based and temporary. A health meter in any form is superflous considering the simple elegance of the system in Lugaru. The way that you can get solid blows that knock out a fully ground rabbit on the first strike means that knowing exactly how much health you have is basically pointless. You just need to know you're hurt and roughly how much which I personally find more than easy enough at present.

However, I am also in support of more animated clues of injury and possibly locational injury to some degree - provided it can be included in such a way that it is an interesting and challenging element and not simply an annoying gimick (I've spend a lot of time thinking about things like this and trying to find the right balance between 'Dramatic Reality' and 'Good Gameplay' can be very hard to pin-point).

As ever I have confidence that judgement and playtesting will provide us with something enjoyable and dramatic.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:36 pm

Homicidal Ham wrote:I think there should be two of "health"
-Standard HP
-Energy

where if your energy runs out you fall unconsious for a 3-4 minute period (when this happedns time speeds up) energy also drastically effects your performance by slowing you down and decreces how powerful your attracks are, and if there is water, it would affect how long you can stay under water
and if your health runs out you die
energy runs out 3 times as fast as health
this would make the combat very realistic
fournine wrote:Something like stamina might be an add - punch/kick strength, run speed, and damage tolerance all decrease as Turner uses up more calories.
This shouldn't start affecting things as soon as he throws one punch, though - maybe only when he's running on an empty stomach after fighting for prolonged durations (Kinda like a buffer, then a stomach growl, then things slowly start getting bad for the overactive Turner).

Running out of stamina means Turner can't run very fast, attacks weakly, and can't defend himself as well, maybe even tripping over himself occasionally - but nothing as drastic as collapsing from exhaustion.
Nuky wrote:heat/cold, thirst, hunger, energy (as ham said) etc. and all that could affect your fighting performance for added realism (also making the game harder)
Ok, an energy/stamina meter (an invisible one of course). It's basically the exact same thing as permanent and temporary damage except it has nothing to do with your health. It can be effected by you getting hit, but it doesn't have an actual relationship with your health (you can be hurt and have high stamina, you can be fine and have low stamina).

Anyways, whenever you have to do strenouse work like getting up after being knocked over (don't really know if Turner would get tired by that) and stuff like getting a body punch you lose some energy. This only effects your performance so you don't get hurt by it (though getting hit by a punch still hurts you). What happens is exactly like Lugaru 1 you lay on the ground for a longer amount of time after falling over and you also occasionally stumble, trip, and fall over if you're extremely tired. It could work just like health and come in two forms. There's the very temporary side that is effected by how much you are out performing yourself, or getting knocked around off your feet (getting leg tripped onto your stomach, missing a roll and slamming over the ground), and then there's the more permanent side that effects your maximum stamina and is based on your hunger/thirst. Having a high stamina might mean that you health faster.

Course, this would have to be refined alot. But, I thought it's a good way to apply food and energy without having it directly effect your health. And maybe lack of food could hurt you but, it seems like Turner would last weeks without food before he starves to death. Oh, and I'm basing these ideas on these particular quotes, I might have missed some ones, I think I got them all though.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:07 pm

They had a stamina meter in the last Smackdown game. I found it to be an annoying hindrance rather than a clever/fun gameplay aspect. It's not a good idea.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:26 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:They had a stamina meter in the last Smackdown game. I found it to be an annoying hindrance rather than a clever/fun gameplay aspect. It's not a good idea.
Now Smackdown's stamina was stupid. It really wasn't a stamina bar at all because it basically acted like you health bar (except you don't die), since that's all you had. Usually though like this one, the stamina doesn't effect your health.

Oh, and that thing that makes you pass out for 3 minutes. That would rule man! Except instead of 3 minutes it's like 6 hours or something. Oh, and to make it less of a retarded thing that would happen during combat and be similar to Oblivions wierd-ass stamina meter. It doesn't even effect combat! So how about when you're fighting you just ignore all the stupid outside factors and fight (like a man, man!), this would be based on your adrenaline kicking in, nobody passes out if you've got adrenaline, that can last for hours on end anyways, so you don't even have to get the logic behind it!
And then, the best part happens! After that insane combat music starts to dissipate you start hearing your crazy ass heartbeat shoot off (because you don't notice it while that music is on), and then you got like 10 or so seconds until you completely pass out and your body shuts down (you'd hear that ringing sound like you just got hit in the head with a flashbang, and then the whole screen would fade to white with extreme use of blooming effects). Now that would be sick, seriously, it would wouldn't it? yeah that's right it would.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:33 pm

Hooray for random tangents! :?

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:59 pm

The tangent is good band.

Anyway, that actually sounds pretty good.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:07 pm

Ok, now how about water and thirst!
There probably won't be any machine factories in Lugaru, so I think it's safe to assume that you can drink from any streams and such, as long as it isn't beachy salt water and especially not swamp mush.
So food determines the maximum amount of stamina you can have. Water determines the percent of food points that attribute to your stamina (being in a desert, with a bunch of food and no water basically makes that food useless). The amount of health regeneration is chosen by your food and divided by your percent of water composure. Meaning that you heal and regain blood hella freaken fast when you have water with you, not food (because in books and movies, wounded soldiers always ask for water, not a cheese burger and fries. Well, except for Lupon the 3rd) Blood loss, results in a lot of your body's water depleting, pretty rapidly as it gets used up. I think it would also be cool if you died of blood loss in an hour or more, instead of having to be left with death coming in a few critical seconds.

Oh, and water should help heal wounds faster when you're in it. Health wouldn't necessarily come back to you faster (like if all your damage had to do with getting socked in the face, or getting slammed into walls), but sharp gashes would quickly disapear when cleaned off in water.

It would also be pretty... challenging if you couldn't eat without water. You would always be able to eat fruit and such, but you shouldn't be able to eat really dry food when you're really dehydrated. You could make some pretty interesting ideas for Turner to get his water too. Deserts? You act like the bush men of australia and dig up water underneath certain plants. When you're in forests, you could cut those hollow vines and get all the water stored in those. It would also be cool if standard bunnies would always carry some general supplies on them.

I think it's pretty safe to say that nobody wants any type of heads up display. But I really like the idea of more animated hints. Like when Turner holds his side, he should have more contextual behaviors like that. It makes you feel cool when he's hurt like that, I can't tell you why though.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:17 pm

It's not only industrial waste that makes some small rivers bad. But who cares? It's a rabbit. They eat their own shit. So...

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:32 pm

Nuky wrote:It's not only industrial waste that makes some small rivers bad. But who cares? It's a rabbit. They eat their own shit. So...
That's really funny Nuky! I know, it's immature, but I find it extremely entertaining. Eat there own.. ha ha!

Okay, you can probably drink from any type of water, as long as it isn't ocean water (scurvey?). Hmm, but I guess you're right about the swamp thing. Things like ponds and marshes are okay, but from the concept art, those swamps looked like they were made out of tar and methane gas! Oh, there could be things gaurding in swamps like alligators (they eat monkeys). They could also be used to cover those desert, water holes. It could be like the nature channel, all the animals crowd around the hole to drink but every once in a while... one gets his freaken head snapped off.
Same with rivers! Gazelles that cross rivers that get eaten be alligators would be crazy too, it would be like Jaws but cool, since it would be river infested waters, and not one shark infesting the beach line (because really, what's the point of having a nasty enemy if you're not allowed to kill him? That's not fun!)

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:58 pm

Zantalos wrote:
Nuky wrote:It's not only industrial waste that makes some small rivers bad. But who cares? It's a rabbit. They eat their own shit. So...
That's really funny Nuky! I know, it's immature, but I find it extremely entertaining. Eat there own.. ha ha!
Do I look like I'm joking?