Phoenix Engine

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
kkaallllee

Phoenix Engine

Post by kkaallllee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:08 am

Hello, I am really interessted in your game engine, I allways wanted to create a parkour game and this one looks perfect for that. If I need to pay for it are it anyway to get a trial or demo version when. I really want to see it before buying.

//kkaallllee

Endoperez

Re: Phoenix Engine

Post by Endoperez » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 am

The game is still too early in development for public demos or trials. Hopefully, some sort of demo will be available once the game is complete. There is no release estimate at the moment, though.

kkaallllee

Post by kkaallllee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:54 am

Ok, but then I preorder the game, do I get any alpha or beta or the editor?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:59 am

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 pm

In short: you get access to the weekly alphas if you pre-order the game, plus the super secret forum that non-preorders are not supposed to know about oops oh well

EDIT: The alpha is modable to an extent, and I believe the game will be open source upon release. (Not to be confused with open sores)

SamW

Post by SamW » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:49 pm

There is no statement, from wolfire, on avaliability of the full source code, however the engine will be modifiable to the extent of how powerful the scripting engine will be.
The scripts, I believe, will not be encrypted or anything so you can modify the game to the extent of the scripting system even without the source code of the engine itself.

I don't have any first hand experience with the scripting, but we have seen that animations can be controlled by the scripting system. I don't know if animation blending is controlled by scripting or not.
Also, since the game and engine is still in development, the scripting system isn't final, so future features and control can definitely be added.

Without source code (or at least the object and header files) you will be limited to the power of the scripting system (can't recompile the exe, but you may be able to hack it). I think efforts of hacking lugaru is what inspired wolfire to release the source code of that as open source :P

In any case if you are serious, buy the game and you will be able to access everything that is currently available for modification, however the scripting engine, as i have read, is not well documented, therefore, it is hard to really be able to see the full potential of script modification. But you can try it anyways. The editing tools and ability to use your own scripts comes with the alpha.
I'm pretty sure Wolfire is also is trying to ensure that any external tools used in development have freely available counterparts. And that assets can be imported to the game from them. (for example they integrated blender support for animation and blender is free, They even take time to look at free alternatives for their expensive tools like Sculptris). That being said, this blog is a great resource for anything about development. You should take your time to browse.

From what I have seen here and on the blog, the wolfire team is more than supportive of the indie development community. If you find something lacking in your ability to create they gameplay you want I don't think they would mind at all if you contacted them about it. They seem to always be welcoming suggestions from their blog posts and their contact information is here http://www.wolfire.com/contact

Of course anything they do to address your issues would only be because either, they love developing games, or they think your ideas are awesome. They aren't guaranteeing anything, so, even if you pre-order, you have no right to demand features from them. You can always ask, keeping in mind they are a small team of 3 developers and one guy named John. He has a Scottish claymore. You should remember that last guy, who knows what will happen if your get on the bad side of Wolfire.
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/02/John-s- ... nvironment
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Ozymandias wrote:I believe the game will be open source upon release.
I haven't heard that claim before. Do you remember where you heard that?

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:17 am

I was just taking a guess since they seemed to praise open source so much

Tonjevic

Post by Tonjevic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:26 pm

Not necessarily on release, but I do recall Jeff saying in IRC that it is likely that they'll OS it "at some point".