Additions to the Lugaru 2: Plants

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Eric
Support Ninja Master

Additions to the Lugaru 2: Plants

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:24 pm

The following are quotes of recent comments in regards to Plants.
David wrote:I made a lot of progress on things that I didn't think were blog-worthy; right now I am working on biologically-grown plants that grow based on soil nutrition, light direction, and so on. They are not good enough yet for a blog post, but here is an example:
zip wrote:Are we actually going to see plants grow and die in the game as time progresses? Dang.. talk about a living breathing world O.o
Zantalos wrote:Man that's going to be awesome! I mean holy crap!

Has any other game done this? I haven't even heard of simulations doing this. And how are you doing this, is it all coding or is there actually a program that designers can use, maybe a bit like middleware? This is just too cool.

Can't wait to see this in action. Deserts, swamps, pampas, and plains are going to look so much more realistic, this kind of thing is unbelievable. How in the world can this be done? I mean, million dollar companies can't even do this, your a genius David. This game will definitely set the new standards on what games should be like, no games have business being this good.
Albab wrote:That's really cool. 0_o Soil nutrition... Farms, david? are you planning farms? GIMMEFARMS. I want a rabbit version of harvest moon. Gimme. xD
Zantalos wrote:Oh dude that would HELLA SICK, let's have soil nutrition that also bases how much fruit can grow on a tree. The size of the fruit could be based on other things as well, such as if the tree has a huge branch to leafs group ration (Branch:Leafs) then the fruit would get smaller, how about pruning!

Ok now pruning might be a little too much, but I like Albabs idea of farms, or some kind of harvestable plant:
Image Awesome right!

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:27 pm

lol! I think this is going to be Zantalos's lair. :wink:

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:28 pm

definetly. I also changed the title of all the "Additions to the combat system:..." threads to "additions to Lugaru 2:..." seemed a more appropriate title when I was naming this thread.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:38 pm

Ha ha nice! A new title section AND a new section about the plants, flippen sweet.

But now I'm left confused, too little information was released about the extensiveness of the flora that I have to many questions to go on.

Heres a small list:
Are plants actually going to be grown up from seeds? Will that lead way for them to create even more seeds? Is this going to be like Zip's prediction of a living, breathing world? But maybe this is just about how big the trees will be, and the way their branches will be set up, it could be a cool prgram designed specifically on how trees should look like, now grow like.
Silb's campaign was pretty cool in this sense, That forest level had really awesome trees, and bushes. All the trees were huge, like an ancient forest. And all the bushes were different sizes. And so this is the same thing right? Trees will be huge in forests, and bare in deserts? I dunno, but it's going to be awesome. Trees dude, TREES!

My bad I lost my train of thought, I have no idea what I was talking about now.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:43 pm

You are way too excited about trees. don't get me wrong the stuff David showed us is amazing. But how can you be so excited; I wish I had that much enthusiasm about something.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:36 am

Well I'm not like so crazily enthusiastic about trees and stuff...

But this is different, this is like cool awesome tree growing. How could you not be excited about this? This is something that. And it wasn't made by Ubisoft (everyone loves Ubisoft) or by some other huge corporation, it was made by David, our favorite game developer of all! I mean, isn't that awesome? That's like, dang this is how you know Lugaru 2 is going to be good, when the lead programmer can create better and unique things like this. It's trees man, it's simple, it's something you wouldn't think about, but now that it has been done, it's just amazing to think about. Every game from now on should grow their trees like this, it's the greatest thing since ragdoll physics.

Trees that grow according to where they are placed and the way sunlight hits them is such an awesome concept though. It's in your face reality, something that creates an effect never before seen in a game before. And the possibilities are limitless, there could be bent plam trees on beach coasts, soaring high redwood trees in forests, vines could actually act like they do in real life by hugging windows (indoors) or twisting around things to reach sunlight themselves. So awesome people so so awesome!

And I didn't even talk about fruit yet!
I like fruit, rabbits like fruit, everone likes fruit. I guess that's all there is to say...
Oh wait! How about some kind of Snake Eater (Metal Gear Solid 3), Turner could harvest fruit and stuff to eat... and stuff. You could have a hunger level which would effect the rate of your stamina and health regeneration among other things and it would be necessary to survive, you have to eat (games usually don't do this, this might be a bad idea).
And how about selling? Don't forget the Harvest Moon idea! If you thought Jack could farm (default name of harvest moon), imagine Turner! Flipping through the air, rolling on the ground while collecting fruit (handspringing grabs too), he'd harvest plants so fast, store owners would freak out from all of the revenues Turner would bring in. :P That could be a really fun mini-game or something for Lugaru 2, don't know how Turner would carry his fruit though, no magic backpacks.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:55 am

I must agree with Zanta.
Trees might just be polygons, but when they can grow, twist, come in all kind of sizes, shapes and colors, this ads alot more to the atmosphere than you'd first think.

Also, I'm addicted to roots. :P
Imagine a huge old forest, where big, fat roots have crawled (and still very slowly are, unless dead), and twisted around eachother, almost coreing rhe ground...

Also, those swamptree-roots are awesome.

And then we got moss... Soft, squishy moss. Nice way to get water if you're desperate.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:45 am

Right after Ovaltine, here comes the over-enthusastic greenhouse tender. :mrgreen:

What with the non-linearity and all, I picture Zanta trying to win the game with an army of trees.

The king has been killed. The country is on the brink of anarchy, as local warlords conspire for leadership. Wolves and raiders gather at the borders, as around a weakened prey. It is a time of doubts, treacheries, and great decisions.
Meanwhile, Zantalos is growing trees.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:00 am

Silb wrote:The king has been killed. The country is on the brink of anarchy, as local warlords conspire for leadership. Wolves and raiders gather at the borders, as around a weakened prey. It is a time of doubts, treacheries, and great decisions.
Meanwhile, Zantalos is growing trees.
Gawd, you're killing me! XD

Sounds like an intro of a brittish comedy.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:26 am

Zantalos wrote: But this is different, this is like cool awesome tree growing. How could you not be excited about this? This is something that. And it wasn't made by Ubisoft (everyone loves Ubisoft) or by some other huge corporation, it was made by David, our favorite game developer of all! I mean, isn't that awesome? That's like, dang this is how you know Lugaru 2 is going to be good, when the lead programmer can create better and unique things like this. It's trees man, it's simple, it's something you wouldn't think about, but now that it has been done, it's just amazing to think about. Every game from now on should grow their trees like this, it's the greatest thing since ragdoll physics.

Trees that grow according to where they are placed and the way sunlight hits them is such an awesome concept though. It's in your face reality, something that creates an effect never before seen in a game before. And the possibilities are limitless, there could be bent plam trees on beach coasts, soaring high redwood trees in forests, vines could actually act like they do in real life by hugging windows (indoors) or twisting around things to reach sunlight themselves. So awesome people so so awesome!
The greatest thing since ragdoll physics? Yes it's cool.. but we've only seen one screenshot, and it looks like.. a tree.
I think we're overhyping this just a liiiittle bit, lets wait till we see a gameplay video eh? :P

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:16 pm

zip wrote:it looks like.. a tree.
And that's a good thing, isn't it?

Compared to most other games, trees are just an extruded triangle with a couple bitmaps on it, you know.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:34 pm

I guarantee you that Zantalos is going to crap his pants when he sees the upcoming blog update.

Sectaurs

Post by Sectaurs » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:47 pm

Jeff wrote:I guarantee you that Zantalos is going to crap his pants when he sees the upcoming blog update.
Haha. If it has what David showed me last night, I'm with ya.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:12 pm

zip wrote:The greatest thing since ragdoll physics? Yes it's cool.. but we've only seen one screenshot, and it looks like.. a tree.
I think we're overhyping this just a liiiittle bit, lets wait till we see a gameplay video eh? :P
Ya, it looks like a tree, one little screenshot of a tree (that sun glare is awesome). But it's such a huge jump from Lugaru! It's like, "whoa Lugaru trees look pretty neat." but then, "Holy crap these suckers got multi-dimensions! Check out these puppies, they're growing!"
Can't you see it? This tree didn't even require a modeler, and look at it! It's the perfect model of a tree, it freaken grew itself!

If there were some way to grow trees in Lugaru 2, you bet I'd spend my time there! Wouldn't that be awesome? I mean Silb's idea may have been a silly joke, but that would be really fun. You could be growing you're trees, becoming a happy little farmer and then, wizzoh! The raiders come back for you and have no choice but to halt you're farming career and kick some ass. Totally kick ass scenario, I'd definitely play that part if I could, growing trees would be so awesome, I couldn't even imagine it. Good-bye Harvest Moon, here comes Lugaru!

And we haven't even totally, discussed all the possibilties of this program yet! As Nuky had mentioned, what about things like chopping down tre..
Nuky wrote:Ooo, nice!
Does this mean you can chop holes and cut down trees with your sword/axe and such, and then, some days later, you come back and see that there's already a branch growing out? :P

But, this is just great! This engine... it rules. :shock:
See, that'd be hella sick too! The possibilities of trees is endless, David is starting with just growing trees, but later, more things could be added to flora to make them even awesomer-er. Cutting down trees and seeing them regrow, burning them down (sounds fun, I dunno), MOSS that could be eaten and stuff (make things slippery, I'd love to see Turner trip and hurt himself), maybe even some tree climbing, tree forts, houses made inside giant tree roots, wooden houses and lumberjacking. How can you guys be so placent (placent?) with this topic? :P It's not just adding a new texture to trees, or making better renderings, it's actually growing them! The first step to realistic trees is growing them, David just broke another freaken record! And, It just happened to be trees this time!

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:14 pm

Sectaurs wrote:
Jeff wrote:I guarantee you that Zantalos is going to crap his pants when he sees the upcoming blog update.
Haha. If it has what David showed me last night, I'm with ya.
i'm sooo hyphy about this

Hey! Levbot's not dead!