Additions to Lugaru 2: Open-ended-ness

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:05 pm

Mike_Cuzins wrote:...that reminds me, will there be stats?
Yes but not visible.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:48 pm

Stats? You mean like time scoring stats on challange mode? Or are you reffering to stuff like how much... fat-muscle your body comprises of. OR, stats as in you have this much game completion, this much money or this much "days past by since start?"

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:00 pm

Such as in GTA, perhaps? "Distance walked, Baddies killed, innocents killed, sidequests taken" ?

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:10 pm

I'm pretty sure it's stats as in strength, agility and whatever.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:14 pm

hdlsa wrote:I'm pretty sure it's stats as in strength, agility and whatever.
Isn't that skills and not stats? :|

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:22 pm

Skills are more like actions such as stab, block and attack.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:33 pm

I'd also say he meant stats as in your strength etc.

And yes skills/techniques would be pretty much what he just said.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:32 pm

I meant as in, skills, i guess (like jump height, kick power, run speed, blocking skill, etc) thats all.

What did YOU mean when you said there will but they wont be visable...?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:56 pm

You will be able to increase stats, i.e. get stronger/run faster as well as skills, i.e. learn more martial arts. It's not going to be visible like "you have leveled up! here are 10 points to spend". You will learn new moves on your adventures and get stronger and such as you progress through the game.

It's not going to be visible, meaning there will be no stat screen where you can see that you have 18/00 strength, 14 charisma, etc.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:18 pm

whoa, that is really cool!
You mean your attribute points will increase and actually effect gameplay? Jump higher and punch harder? That's sick, because it's a fighting game, not some, non-physics fighting game (GTA's muscle system was pretty useless, it only effected how low you could jump and your effect on women, not really usefull in combat). Is that why the models have been drawn to show Turner's bones behind his skin (ie, he's skinny), or is that what Turner was originally intended to look like? I mean, does that mean getting stronger will make you look stronger, or is it one of those under the surface things?

Is this what you meant when the developers pumped out lots and lots of models, or is that something completely involving other characters?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:27 pm

All characters will have tons of variables like skinniness that produce variations off of a single model. So there is only one rabbit model, but there will be a huge variety of rabbits.

Like how in the animation system there are a ton of sliders like female, confident, etc. that affect the way you walk and move, there are going to be different sliders for models.

The way it's implemented in terms of gameplay hasn't been decided though. Turner will certainly get stronger and punch harder, but we are not sure how much his looks will be affected. He will probably fill out a little, but not enough to make him look too different. Turner is not a big guy.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:13 am

Tons of variables, huge variety bunnies, sliders for animations, undecided gameplay implements? Yea, that's niiice.

This is kinda off topic, but does that mean you'll make gay rabbits and girly rabbits (not girl rabbits, but wimpy- no feminine, male bunnies?) Is that slider going to be like a true/false thing or could you make males move sort of feminin like, and have women act real masculine like?

But that's good news, I always like being in control of a solid character.
Oh hey! Are these sliders static, like once you set them, they'll stick to that character? Or will they be an inconsistant variable that changes while you play, like could you start acting very unconfident after something? Whoa actually nevermind, that sounds more like a gameplay implementation, I got ahead of myself for some reason. Yeah, for some reason, this is very awesome just to think about.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:21 am

Yeah, they all can be changed dynamically. Once I get PhoenixUI working in the game, I'll get David to make a video demonstrating all the different variables and how you can make a rabbit gradually walk more feminine.

David has some ideas like after you defeat 10 rabbits, you will walk around all confident like for a while. We'll see if that turns out to be obnoxious or not.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:21 am

Yeah! Awesome thats really impressive!

For the challanges, (if there are any) you should be able to make your own character, and control the sliders yourself!

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:43 am

Jeff wrote: Like how in the animation system there are a ton of sliders like female, confident, etc. that affect the way you walk and move, there are going to be different sliders for models.
David has some ideas like after you defeat 10 rabbits, you will walk around all confident like for a while. We'll see if that turns out to be obnoxious or not.
That really great! Plus I guess that's another realistic, unobstrusive indicator for Turner's state- if a bunny's global attitude reflects his level of fatigue, his wounds, as well as his confidence, and such... *gazes dreamily* Wow.

Also, Turner has 18/00 strength and 14 charisma? Sweet :)