Hitting walls (Can't describe it, read on)

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Mon May 08, 2006 10:25 am

hey, i don't like this multi button mouse thing. my imac is three years old, whichnis usually the cut-off for a computer, but the only reason for complaint i have is it's not intel. i've always used macs, and i've always used single button mice. now, i may be a minority, but i love my single button mouse, and i want it to stay. maybe their could be a preference to turn multi button mouse on/off?

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Mon May 08, 2006 10:26 am

I'm sure you'll be able to remap the buttons in whatever way works best for you

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Mon May 08, 2006 10:28 am

heh, i love the fast response on these forums.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 14, 2006 10:46 am

Possibly a running clothesline would be in order. It would be a relatively simple running move, wouldn't damage enemies as much as leg cannon, but there wouldn't be as great a fail ratio. You also wouldn't take half as much damage as you do from the leg cannon.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sun May 14, 2006 10:25 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Possibly a running clothesline would be in order. It would be a relatively simple running move, wouldn't damage enemies as much as leg cannon, but there wouldn't be as great a fail ratio. You also wouldn't take half as much damage as you do from the leg cannon.
That doesn't reallly fit in the topic of this thread, you know. But yeah, that would make sense.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon May 15, 2006 9:06 pm

Ok, you know how games have that silly "hug wall" toggle? It's usually activated in console games with the push of a button. But then you get trapped to the wall, and it takes a second to get off of it, this gets you killed alot. Also, with the toggle you move slowly across the wall and and you can't look around all the way to hit your targets.

But since Lugaru isn't a console, isn't an FPS, and doesn't use animated movement; wall hugging could be worked out hecka better. It wouldn't be a full switch to moving on Turner's back, it would be exactly the same except Turner stops moving his legs. And I don't even think David would have to program anything extra into it because the movement system works by moving the center of mass with legs to keep it from falling. And if the center mass cannot lean any farther to the wall, the legs wouldn't keep running.
See? Problem solved, it's just one of the new physics based effects that comes automatically with Lugaru 2 (well, maybe not completely automatically).
Of course, this might not work, in which case... uhh... nevermind then.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue May 16, 2006 11:18 am

Yeah, I knew it didn't have anything to do with the thread, Albab, it just popped into my head while I was reading all this.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue May 16, 2006 11:21 am

Zantalos wrote:Ok, you know how games have that silly "hug wall" toggle? It's usually activated in console games with the push of a button. But then you get trapped to the wall, and it takes a second to get off of it, this gets you killed alot. Also, with the toggle you move slowly across the wall and and you can't look around all the way to hit your targets.

But since Lugaru isn't a console, isn't an FPS, and doesn't use animated movement; wall hugging could be worked out hecka better. It wouldn't be a full switch to moving on Turner's back, it would be exactly the same except Turner stops moving his legs. And I don't even think David would have to program anything extra into it because the movement system works by moving the center of mass with legs to keep it from falling. And if the center mass cannot lean any farther to the wall, the legs wouldn't keep running.
See? Problem solved, it's just one of the new physics based effects that comes automatically with Lugaru 2 (well, maybe not completely automatically).
Of course, this might not work, in which case... uhh... nevermind then.
In most games where you hug the walls, there's no one-push button for it. Rather, in the majority of cases, it's done by moving towards the wall.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue May 16, 2006 2:23 pm

I don't remember if they did it like this in MGS, but in Splinter Cell pressing a button worked very well.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue May 16, 2006 4:16 pm

Was that how it was in Splinter Cell? I can't remember the controls for that game at all. I only liked the first one anyway, the rest of the series bored me. Yes, MGS used the push-toward-wall-to-lean-against sytem, and wasn't MGS the first game where you could lean against walls?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue May 16, 2006 6:04 pm

Guess you're right, MGS may have been the first game with that feature.

I've got to say that the Splinter Cell part with multiplayer rocks. It's really cool, sneaking around your opponent and e-shocking him to ultimate madness. You should check it out. (Which part was it? Forgot it..)

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu May 18, 2006 10:15 am

Must say Zantalos makes sense (again).
This physics/game engine is as made for such stuff as clinging to a wall, etc. Also, since the balance(etc.) is extra realistic in this game, clinging to a wall on an edge would probably be more realistic; closer to wall == less balance.
/me imagines turner (automaticaly) crawling closer and closer to the wall on a thinner and thinner ledge, and then loosing balance and falling (maybe getting a grip, if lucky, but that doesn't seem too realistic?).