Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:50 pm

God, you guys are assholes. Who cares if a 12 year old speaks on voice chat. It's there for everyone to use. If it bugs you, you can mute them.

Edit:
Nuky wrote:Lugaru 2 multiplayer with voice chat... I can't realy imagine that. It would be too silly. Imagine a 9 year old hardcore gamer with a tiny geeky voice for a giant musculous rabbit. >_>
By your logic, in Call of Duty or any army game, you have to actually be in the military to use voice chat or else it's "too silly"?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:11 pm

Sounds like this hit too close to home...

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:24 pm

Someone claiming that voice chat would be bad for Lugaru 2 solely because it would annoy them is just too stupid for me to tolerate.

Inane

Post by Inane » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:43 pm

I think voice chat would be a nice addition, but I'd probably have it turned off, too.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:35 pm

hdlsa wrote:Someone claiming that voice chat would be bad for Lugaru 2 solely because it would annoy them is just too stupid for me to tolerate.
Voice chat serves no real purpose in my opinion, mostly because people use it to call other people names or say quick quips that could have been as easily done in text chat, and half of the time you can't tell what they're even saying because of terrible microphone quality.

If having someone say intangible, rude, or unnecessary things frequently doesn't bother you... then you're going to make a better father than I am someday.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:42 pm

Then you must have been on some bad servers because voice chat is quite commonly used to coordinate team tactics.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:36 pm

Nuky wrote:That happened alot on ut2k4...
Not only did it lag, but it was also... blergh!
11 year olds. Why do parents give 11 year olds a multiplayer game for 17 year olds? :/
Kid wants his chocolate milk.

So yeah, things like this do happen, but whatever, I guess that's not the Voice Chats fault (the same thing will happen in text, cept you don't have to hear it). But I agree with Ledood, there's no point in having voice chat for Lugaru. This is just a free-moving beat em up, you kick each other up, you don't need voice chat to help you do that. Any thing you do have to say, could be said much easier in the chat bar, people can understand text better too. With vent around, theres no point in building in a public chat for Lugaru, one wouldn't hurt, but I doubt how much it would be used.

I think the only place to find good voice chatting are in things like clan server (for FPSs), because I've rarely (never) seen anything cool happen in public ones. Then again, it's Lugaru 2 so, I can't think of anytime voice chat would actually help a team.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:58 pm

I agree with hdlsa that it's pretty damn idiotic to say you don't think that voice chat would be a good idea for the game because you think some people you won't like are going to use it. Like he said, you don't have to listen to them.

I also agree with Zantalos, though, that Lugaru is not really the type of game that demands it, unless there are some multiplayer mission types that would require team coordination, which I doubt there would be.

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:39 am

When I said voicechat I meant for people that like coordinated TEAM matches. Voicechat would only be available to teammates... and there's always the mute option.

I guess teamspeak will have to do. No sense in making David work harder on something we already have :D

Xegrot

Post by Xegrot » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:08 pm

I've got an idea! There should be certain levels where you get to visit temples and shrines and tombs loaded with enemies and traps. Some spaces should be tight quartered for certain puzzles and traps. Other areas should be big for larger puzzles and combat.

And another thing... voice acting! I don't mean to sound whiney or anything, but just hearing a rabbit chirp every time someone talks gets annoying at times.

Maybe there should be longer ranged weapons, too, like bows and arrows or throwing stars. That would be a cool addition.

EDIT: Oh, maybe a feature where Turner can hang from ledges and shimmy from side to side.

champrjk

eh

Post by champrjk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:13 pm

Yes that would be real nice. If turner could hang on an edge with his ands and arm left or right. That way he wouldnt have to get up right in front of him. He could then choose to arm over to another area and then get up. Also i know there are reverses but what about blocking?

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:23 pm

Blocking has its own topic, and bows and arrows do too I think...

As for traps... they'd have to be obvious like in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem because I don't like trial-and-error sorts of things. Take the wrong step and die. David said the the consequences for death are harsh so I don't want to die from a stupid pendulum cutting me in half every time I attempt to go through a hallway.

As for puzzles, i'm not good at puzzles at all...

Xegrot

Post by Xegrot » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:03 pm

Hmmm, well since the game is based more on combat, they could make loose puzzles, like so: Say, you find something engraved on a wall, you go over and read it, and it shows a scripture of switches that must be pressed in a certain order. Once that happens, you drop down when the floor breaks (or something along those lines) and you go through a fighting scene to distract you, then you get to the room with the puzzle. This means that you must be forced to remember the order in which the buttons must be pressed. Do that within the time limit, and you go through the door that was once lock.

As for traps, maybe not really pendilums, but more like simple pitfalls and hallway walls slowly closing in, forcing you to dash for an exit (Which is quite easy for Turner). So, not so many traps and puzzles, and more fighting.

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:50 pm

Pits with fire, logs that start spinning as you go across them (you'd have to press arrow keys to balance yourself, and you wouldn't be able to jump on it safely untill you got practice or something? Sounds good :P

champrjk

Post by champrjk » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:06 am

I like more of a maze type of puzzle. Where you have to figure out how to get from one place to another using the land. Like jumping from one brick to another or doing a bunch of wall jumps to a spot. On the last level of the temple campain i though you had to jump back and fourth along the walls to get to the other side the first time i played that map. Wich is what i did. and ended up falling off the endge forever and ever. But i've never really liked doing stupid little puzzles that take forever to do when I would much rather just beat the stuffing out of the enemies instead. Although small puzzles like i i mentioned are fine because they dont require much mentle inteligence. wich i lack. :J