Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
marmorek

Post by marmorek » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:20 pm

wormguy wrote: Best suggestion ever? Quite possibly.
Thank you!

I'm amazed that so many people liked the idea.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:48 am

They had a slider like that in Unreal Tournament, Except, FOR BOTS! You don't need to adjust whether you're going to be offensive or defensive, you just do it! It's one thing to switch between Ninjitsu/Karate/Judo etc, but you don't need to move a slider to determine if you're going to strike more or grab more. This slider is best used for NPCs.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:44 pm

SMNMX wrote:Brilliant! If they can actually pull off a version of that that works well and clearly distinguishes styles, it would rock so impossibly hard.

I still like the Faster and Harder attack buttons, though. Combining them with a modifiable fighting style would be the best, I think.
Jedi Outcast did the same thing. You were able to alternate between Normal, Strong and Quick fighting styles with your lightsaber. And the styles were actually so different it made it really interesting and fun. I'd like something of that sort.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:27 pm

Alternating styles with an easy to reach key sounds awesome, though I must confess, I've never tried it myself :P

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:51 pm

Yeah, the first style was good for fighting off stormtroopers, but almost useless in a saber duel UNLESS the other guy liked rolling a lot, because you could hit the ground in front of you with it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:01 pm

I think they did the lightsaber fights in that game perfectly. They were just so fun. I never liked having to switch to my guns. Things like the 3/4-on-1 jedi battles were soooo good. Just use Jedi Speed and start slicing people in half.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:36 pm

What could be done would be to create your own styles with the sliders and then assign them to certain keys. You could change styles in the middle of a fight while still having each style be your own.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:39 pm

That would be difficult, because either the key could be mis-tapped and your style accidently changed or the key is too far away to be really useful.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:56 pm

A problem with pre-set moves...

They're always the same! In Lugaru 1, you do a different punch when an enemy attacks you depending on combos, position, health, etc. If right-click is set to "Horizontal elbow strike" then you might end up doing the wrong move at the wrong time, elbowing when you should be kicking.

SMNMX

Post by SMNMX » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:25 pm

That's why we don't have preset moves, we have sliders to determine what kind of context sensitive moveset you want.

Mapping them to number keys would work fine. I refuse to have to cycle them, though... that would be a total bitch.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:04 pm

I dunno, I just think pressing another button and not focusing on the gameplay would interrupt from the flow of the fight. We like our fights to be fast and fun, so taking the time to press a hotkey then get accustomed to new moves again wouldn't be my idea of fun.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:50 am

I think it could work. with Different Stances you could do different Speeds, Damage, ETC, and then Customize you're Knife Fighting Stances.
you could Upload them and give them you're owen name and set up the Battling Stance when in combat so you are Likely to take off the Enemies head but Getting revers, but if you counter Reversal you Deal Damage, yada yada. it may end up being 10-30 minutes to do all this, and maybe should only be in Multi-player games to ad Variety. how ever i think we can throw out a Few things. here is the Original.

Offensive ----------||---------- Defensive

Attacks:

Faster ----------||---------- More Powerful

More Strikes ----------||---------- More Kicks

More Striking/Kicking ----------||---------- More Grappling/Takedowns

Movement:

Faster Stance ----------||---------- Stronger Stance

Higher Jumps ----------||---------- Longer Jumps

Now heres what i think...

Attacks:

Faster ----------||---------- More Powerful

Movement:

Faster Stance ----------||---------- Stronger Stance

Higher Jumps ----------||---------- Longer Jumps

I think for these to be thrown out because it is all context Sensitive.
Running at some one will make you kick and standing will make you punch, why whould you need:

More Strikes ----------||---------- More Kicks

Why do you need to make a slider for Grabbing some one or taking them down when you can do it anyway? or kicking people and punching them?
Unless you are going to try and throw them as simple attacks, make it More like Judo (I may be Wrong, Correct me Please if i am). you could maybe Do more thing that Keep the Enemy Back whilst the Team gets Ready to Bunny Kick Em, and make them Easy to attack. it could work for multiplayer PvP Teams, but it would be tedious.

More Striking/Kicking ----------||---------- More Grappling/Takedowns

This Could be kept but it would need to be Experimented with.
how ever, the Stances were probably more Towards Damaging and Defensive already, how ever this could be used for Custom Stances

Offensive ----------||---------- Defensive
well Faster Stance ----------||---------- Stronger Stance is pretty much what that is. some one who is Defensive is going to block more and have a Stronger Stance? While some one who is Faster is going to Be more offensive. how ever i would rather See a beta Program than peoples words on it, so you probably want to too.

Tell me what you guys think now?

James M

Post by James M » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:23 am

I dunno, I don't like the idea myself. I really like the Lugura fighting system as it is, some new/different moves would be good though. And of course the new weapons will be nice.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:34 am

Thats Why i Suggested a Beta.
only way we will be able to see if will work is by making the program and simulate the Combat.

then again... its up to David and Jeff.
How ever i think making a Beta with this system in mind could be a good Trial. trail and Error is the greatest learning Curve.

I like the Idea as it gives you more customization, how ever i am Skeptical about it at the same time. that makes me want to Try and manipulate the idea. I knew I should have Become a programer. but Nooo, my Mum said i had to get a Qualification in IT and yet i cant get a job in IT because my Spelling is Rubbish!

Any way... i really want to see if this would work. Some one make a Sketchy Simulator man. :|

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:33 am

A tech demo would indeed be awesome, but I doubt it will ever happen.