Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:58 am

Also one more thing i would like to point out to what David Added.
Swords are Poking weapons, they can be used as a slashing but it is harder to hit with them. the Only real time they Slashed was to Knock a Swing out of the way. Exception was the Sematar (Correct my spelling some one). Sematars was a powerful blade. it was Designed to Cut on the Heavy Curved part of the blade and as you slashed it would Give more of a Cut than a Europeans Blade.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:14 am

Definately, though all swords would be easier to hit with slashes (But would be less effective), and on your previous post, grabbing a sword would indeed be extremely hard and dangerous no matter what your skill, though it'd be a lot easier to do if your opponant wasn't using the sword (Good gloves would be rather useless at making it easier to grab a moving sword, but would probably make it very easy to grab a stationary one) And grabbing the handle of the sword is always a lot safer (Assuming what you're talking about DOESN'T involve grabbing the handle/hand)

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:33 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:Definately, though all swords would be easier to hit with slashes (But would be less effective), and on your previous post, grabbing a sword would indeed be extremely hard and dangerous no matter what your skill, though it'd be a lot easier to do if your opponant wasn't using the sword (Good gloves would be rather useless at making it easier to grab a moving sword, but would probably make it very easy to grab a stationary one) And grabbing the handle of the sword is always a lot safer (Assuming what you're talking about DOESN'T involve grabbing the handle/hand)
My Brother Use to use swords all the time. In-fact i have seen him fully Disarm some one bare handed. either he is Gifted or people don't relies how easy it is one you have the hang of it. and of-cores i am saying grabbing the blade. Mind you if you look at some of the scars he had on his hand you may realize he had a lot of Practice.

Ill try to get a Pic of his Cavalry Sword he made as a Kid. He has Killed a hell of a lot of Possums with it. Did you know that a Possum can run around with out its head for under 5 minutes?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:17 am

David wrote:Sword reversals will be toned down, but that doesn't mean that swords will be more powerful; the biggest change I am thinking of right now is making swords get stuck in things. In most games (Lugaru included) all sharp weapons act kind of like lightsabers; they just go through anything. This is probably a symptom of their foundation in movie physics, where sword slices are usually simulated by just slicing right next to the target and adding special effects.

In Lugaru 2 I am going to try and make this more realistic. If you stab or slice into someone far enough to kill them, it may not be trivial to get your weapon back out again, especially if he is wearing armor. Also, it is not always that easy to get a solid hit with a sword. If the unarmed defender is very skilled, then he still won't be able to grab the attacker's sword arm from out of range and disarm him like in L1, but he may be able to deflect the attack into a less lethal one, and get close enough to make the sword useless. A sword is effective at medium-long range (by hand-to-hand terms) and in open spaces but not very effective at grappling range or in confined environments; in that case a knife is much more effective because it has much more room to move.
This sounds like a good decision.

FoxInABox

Post by FoxInABox » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:26 pm

What about Joypad support..

this is what I use for lugaru, a saitek p990:
• Two analog joysticks
-the 1st controlls movement the 2nd controlls camera (can't combine them /.\)
• Four shoulder buttons
-On the left is: jump, draw
-On the right is: throw, (attack)
• Ten programmable buttons (6 main buttons)
-button1: attack
-button2: conter
-button4: tab (for dialog)
• Eight-way d-pad
I use the analog joystick instead

In lugaru it is two things that makes it hard to use joypad since you need one hand to controll Turner and the second one to switch between attacks and moving camera:
a) Turner turns towards the camera direction when you releace direction buttons, this mess things up if you move him behind a enemy, then stop and attack, between stop and attack Turner can do a 180 degree turn if the enemy you try to face towards is in front of Turner from the camera angle. (please don't tell me this will happen in lugaru2)
b) I would call the camera mode in lugaru for camera-lock, if you don't move the camera then it stay in the same direction and that is great if you use mouse to move camera, but for joypad it's a little bit too mutch..

The joypad 2nd analog joystick would be perfect to look around..

But for lugaru2 (and lugaru) I hope there could be some sort of camera mode that follow you around and try to keep up with the direction you are facing, or move you out of focus (but not out of view) and show more of the direction you now are faceing while it move behind you again, camera should also try to keep close enemies in view, unless you are running away..

EDIT:
David in Wolfire Software Forum Index » Lugaru » GamePad support? wrote:Lugaru 2 has joystick support built-in using SDL.
ok, there is joystick support, great :3, but what about camera movement?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:32 pm

I am also planning to implement some kind of default camera option for those unable to use mouselook, for whatever reason.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:33 pm

David wrote:I am also planning to implement some kind of default camera option for those unable to use mouselook, for whatever reason.
Or for people who just don't want to have the added functionality (Except for some people) of mouselook, you really mastered the control system in lugaru

Xegrot

Post by Xegrot » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:16 pm

I have a new idea...

Add shurikens (throwing stars, etc.) They can be different sizes and shapes, for different accuracy and speed. Lol, that would be so cool: seeing Turner come around a corner with a giant shurkien in his hand and whirl it to cut off some fool's head! XP

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:37 pm

Shurikens aren't big enough to cut off somoenes head, they're usually about 3 inches long. But it is a cool idea. I think that a shuriken combat system should be similair to the suggested bow system, with a rough lock-on, or precision aiming. Kinda like in GTA: San Amdreas, but without the Tec-9.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:22 pm

But he also said this:
Xegrot wrote:They can be different sizes and shapes…
Which means that they could be 1ft/1ft, and could cut off someone's head if they were that big :twisted:

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:05 pm

that's not a shuriken, that's a discus with razor blades around the edges!

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:07 pm

That would be TOTALLY FREAKIN' SWEET. Imagine throwing one of those things! If you didn't decapitate the opponent, you'd end up slicing yourself in half!

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:07 pm

LOL :twisted:

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:11 pm

It-was-Suggested-by-youres-trully.
PUT-them-in-David!
Last edited by Colicedus on Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:15 pm

please don't. heh, what am i saying, of course you won't.