Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:30 am

I did Today. Beting the crap out of some one that said my nose smells! :x

(JK)

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:09 pm

cause that's cruel to knock down trees... unless you're high, drunk or just pissed the hell off. Then you have an excuse. How can your nose SMELL?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:38 pm

In the same sense that your eyes can see?

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:24 pm

I meant IT smells as an object that gives off a bad scent :P .

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:54 pm

That was the joke...
and did anyone bother to read the JK?
JK=Just Kidding :wink:

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:27 pm

wormguy wrote:Yeah, permanent damage to your body like scars or a nick on your ear might help personalize your character. You know, like a "My Turner has a scar over his mouth". "Well, yeah? Mine has his left ear nicked." That might be kind of cool.
Dude...if L2 had that feature...my Turner would have so many scars, broken bones, missing teeth, and bruises...that you couldn't tell he was a rabbit anymore...yeah, I find abusing Turner to be funny...like launching him into the air or rebounding him off walls...

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:05 pm

I'd ragdoll into a pack of wolves, get beaten to the verge of death, and then run off into town to get a little bandaged up. Then do it again. and again. xD

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:34 pm

I think by that time He would be a lot weaker. Maybe once you get Beaten up to that extent Turner Retires and its game over?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:46 am

Colicedus wrote:I think by that time He would be a lot weaker. Maybe once you get Beaten up to that extent Turner Retires and its game over?
*imagines Turner getting beaten up repeatedly by wolves...then suddenly he gets up and checks into an "old folk's" home*

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:24 am

What I mean was He Decides to stop Fighting because He is Completely Crippled and He has the Strength of an old guy blowing Though a Straw.
and He cant Run.

Mind you I am not one who Likes No consequences for Death/KOs.
they say that what dose not kill you makes you stronger.
I have Heard of some one having a Leg Removed because he had Necrosis in it. It did not Kill him. and Nether Did it make him stronger... Some one Please Debate that one (In a Civilized way)?

Or am i taking you Too Seriously? :|

GaGrin

The rant that went on for too long :S

Post by GaGrin » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Ugh.

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger" has to be the biggest load of BS ever passed into general circulation as a well known phrase.

In regards to the locational wound effects, after having thought about it some more I have this to say:

Implementation is key, as is the focus of gameplay.

If the gameplay focus is on flow, speed and timing - and doesn't want to penalise the player too heavily for mistakes - then the idea is best left alone.

If strategy is just as important as skill and if the game allows the player to be defeated in some situations without a game-over state then I think the added depth of locational injury should at least be considered.

As I understand it physics is going to be used to determine the damage from hits - allowing things like speed and weapon reach to come into play amoungs other things. If joints, bones and flesh are given appropriate resistance to this force then extreme damage can be modelled by 'breaking' with hits. Obviously certain attacks are going to require less or more force against certain parts. Blades require less force to severe flesh than blunt trauma by a massive margin - but excessive blunt force CAN rip, tear or split flesh.

"Broken" flesh is going to bleed.

If a break occurs on a location then the character's reactions will have to adapt (assuming that they are still active that is).

Blunt trauma should carry through flesh, the flesh acting as a cushion for much of the force. If there is enough the bone under the flesh will fail and the limb will almost certainly be rendered useless.

I'm sure everyone has understood the basic idea of the injury stuff above.

The question really is - can Lugaru work as a game with broken limbs? And if it can how do you cope with the healing process?

Healing could be handled in one of three ways I can think of...

The first is to simply cop-out and fully heal the player of any severe injuries after each encounter, applying the penalties only during the battle itself. (This might be a good idea for an easy setting anyway)

- A subset of this idea is to allow standard game healing items, but i honestly can't see them in lugaru at all.

The second is to allow healing of severe (yet non-fatal) injuries at some kind of healer. Obviously the exact form the healer takes depends on the level of technology and religious belief within the rabit society and what is deemed appropriate. However, almost all forms of civilasation have dedicated healers or wise-folk who care for the injured and this is a solution.

The third one is extremely harsh but might appeal to the hardcore punishment and realism fans - you have to live with the injuries you recieve. Most injuries, even severe ones would heal with some time but certain ones (losing a hand or a chunk of ear for example) if you survive would be permanent disabilities. (I would suggest this as a setting for the Insane difficulty)

So, I still haven't answered the main question. Do I think that Lugaru would work with broken limbs?

Maybe.

I can see someone continuing a fight with a wrecked arm, it would make things harder but if the player is skilled enough it should be possible as you retain *most* of your mobility. Where I struggle is with the idea of injured legs. Limping could work and causing mobility problems for your opponent can be considered a totally valid and effective strategy - but it would have to effect jump height, the attacks you can perform etc. as well as causing you to slow. Obviously in most situations the player would be mobbed at this point.

On the flip-side think of a broken leg. You'd be floored, prone and pretty much defenceless as far as I'm aware. I think that allowing the player to defend and reverse, even attack close opponents as much as possible would be a good move, but its going to be very limited. Noone likes to go down without a fight and if you can I think most players would like to fight to the last breath.

I suppose I think of that scene in The Last Samurai where Algren is surrounded and wounded repeatedly as they wear him down. Even as he grows weaker he continues to fight as long as he can. That would be very cool to play out (and be able to win)!

Um... okay this got a lot longer than I thought it would :S

I suppose my last thought before I stop ranting is going to be that I think that defeat should not always be game-over. Players should be able to lose fighting by retreating and through incapacitation. Obviously the reaction and result depends on the situation and your opponent.

Righto, thats enough crazy from me for one day!

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:19 pm

Dude. that may be the Best idea I have Heard all day.
Depending on Difficulty there are Different Consequences for taking a beating.

another Question has arisen from me here.
With Knocked Out Bunnies, Will you Just Leave them There to Die or can you Ransom them to there Former Boss or if you wanted, hand them into the Local Defense as Prisoners? maybe Getting a Bounty for them?

another thing: Something I woke up with (a Question on L2)
How is Conversation Going to Take Place? is it like the last one? or will it be like the Ever Quest Style of Talking? (Example: NPC says "I have a Job for you Turner" then you type "what Job" and He will say "you must kill raiders/Get me wolf teeth ETC) Or will it be like the more Modern RPGs where there is a List of things to say?

Another Thing: I gather This will be a Free Roaming game. Will there Be consequences for Smashing up Towns foke? Will they not like you afterwards? Or will it be like GTA?

Another thing, Did anyone like my last Idea I contributed (Unlockables)?

Another Thing, I like saying that. :D

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:58 am

I've already said this somewhere else but so people actually pay attention:

Physics based inventory. You get tripped up, your bag opens up and a load of knifes fall out, stabbing a rabbit in the foot or something.Also this would mean no "magic bag" problem.

These I just made up:

First person inventory. Turner gets his bag and looks inside, it enters first person mode, you control Turners hand with the mouse to choose what you pick up.

Fist person map

Turner pulls out a map and compass, it enters first person mode, you can look at the map and still look up in first person to check for enemys.

P.S. 2nd post.. My first probably wont be noticed

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:24 am

Maybe... if it's not overdone.
Controlling Turners hand with the mouse is too much.

PS. Welcome.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:18 pm

A shoulder camera would work just as well and keep the gameplay consistent.