Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:32 am

Jeff wrote:You will be able to increase stats, i.e. get stronger/run faster as well as skills, i.e. learn more martial arts. It's not going to be visible like "you have leveled up! here are 10 points to spend". You will learn new moves on your adventures and get stronger and such as you progress through the game.

It's not going to be visible, meaning there will be no stat screen where you can see that you have 18/00 strength, 14 charisma, etc.
Oh yeah, that's how I want it.
I had forgotten about that post.

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:08 pm

^ Yeah, I agree, that sounds like a great way to implement it.

On the topic of mapmaking; has anyone tried SketchUp?
I think it'd work really well as a map editor, with some modifications of course.
But uh, for Lugaru 2, I kinda envision a Oblivion-esque editor,
which is somewhat easy to use. Just modify terrain, and place props, enemies, traps, and so on.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:48 pm

Easy to use yes, but if you want and have the skills you should be able
to make more advanced stuff (with scripting)

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:17 pm

Here's something I thought might be cool. I notice that in almost every other RPG when you open a map it gives you not only a map but a flashing icon on it showing you exactly where you are. I was thinking maybe in Lugaru 2 that could not be the case, so you would have to use land marks and navigation skills (not in-game skills that is) to figure out which direction you're going? Unless Turner somehow get's his hands on a GPS somehow.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:26 pm

I think you're looking at L2 as if it's an RPG, Lugaru 2 is not an RPG.

Either way, I think David might like that suggestion. I know I do.
I also think he might already be thinking of something like that.

P.S: Avernum 3 had some various maps you could aquire/buy and they didn't have any "You are here" symbols on them, they were just images.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:44 pm

I like that idea as well.
I'd be sure to exclude that "YE BE HERE!" thingie from any possible mods I'd make.

Szs315
Closet Mac lover

Post by Szs315 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:22 pm

Idea - :idea:

Why not have the ability to replay each lugaru story and challenge level? It would make it easier instead of having to start a new game. If you revisit a level multiple times in a regular non-replayed story mode game, just put something like buttons on the side [i.e. #1 - #2] So you can replay the different times you have gone to that place [i.e. the village in lugaru that you revisit multiple times].

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:39 pm

This is the Lugaru 2 Random Idea Dumping Thread, not a Lugaru 1 one.

If you're talking about Lugaru 2, you don't really have the right idea of what Lugaru 2 will be, it's not going to be another linear fighting game AFAIK, it sounds like it's going to be a bit more of a simulation of Turner's Life™.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:35 pm

Something along the lines of The Sims: Crazy Psychotic Rabbit Expansion.

Szs315
Closet Mac lover

Post by Szs315 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:28 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:This is the Lugaru 2 Random Idea Dumping Thread, not a Lugaru 1 one.

If you're talking about Lugaru 2, you don't really have the right idea of what Lugaru 2 will be, it's not going to be another linear fighting game AFAIK, it sounds like it's going to be a bit more of a simulation of Turner's Life™.
Got it, Got it. How do you do the ™ thing with your keyboard?

[I copied ™ from your reply, didn't use keyboard]

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am

I highly doubt it'd be at all like that.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:27 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:I highly doubt it'd be at all like that.
lol, no kidding.

Are you saying that I think Lugaru 2 is an rpg when it isn't, or are you replying about the map idea?

Jeff said that there will be a 3D overhead map similar to mount & blade for traveling. David said it's because the map is too big to travel on yourself.

Oh wait here's a quote.
Wumpus wrote:I've heard Jeff I believe say that L2 will feature an overhead map, Fallout style but 3d and real time. So my question is this. Will it function like Fallout, in that there are only set areas to explore, (the cities and towns) and the map is just traversing around unless you get attacked, or find a special location?

OR will it be like oblivion where you can fast travel, or physcially walk there as you like?
David wrote:Probably more like Fallout in this respect because unlike Oblivion the L2 world is full-scale; it would take weeks or months to walk across the entire map.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:36 pm

wait, wait. L2 ISN'T a RPG?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:09 am

L1 isn't, so L2 definitely won't be.

Well, ok, L2 is sort of stretching that statement a bit, but it probably wouldn't find it's way into the RPG section of download.com.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 am

Ok, it probably won't find it's way into the rpg section simply because Lugaru's main attraction is it's unique combat system and I don't think I've ever seen an rpg game where fighting is really "fun" (you might be able to argue with Oblivion... but I can't). So it's probably still going to be in the fantasy action adventure section, but who cares, Crackdown is in the science fiction shooter genre and San Andreas is in the modern action adventure.

I would still call this an rpg because I think rpg's aren't just games like Gothic and Neverwinter Nights. I think if there's role playing elements involved, it can be an rpg.

These are slightly old statements but I'm hoping they still apply.
David wrote:Lugaru 2 will definitely have survival elements; you will have to eat, sleep, and drink to survive, and these will not always be easy to do. The environment will be much more important than in Lugaru; you will be able to climb trees, forage for food, and create shelters.

There will definitely be NPC allies that can accompany you, and help in various ways. Each NPC will have its own allegiances, which can be influenced by many factors.

The story will be fairly non-linear and free; the game with the most similar adventure style would be Fallout 2.
Flickta wrote:Oh, please, please, make it so that the player could just live in the world, gather herbs and berries, build a shelter and... Spend nights sitting in front of a fireplace. :)
David wrote:Hehe yes I think you will be able to do that, if you really want