BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:42 am

Dammit, I wanted to make the 100th page's first post… Damn you! :cry:

Well, happy 100th page anyway! :)

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:15 am

Haha.

The last person I would have expected. But, it makes sense that David gets the 100th page.

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:28 am

with the simple word "yes" also :D

back on topic...

umm, topic, in this topic, lol... ozymoron? Erm, oxymoron.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:16 pm

Swords can also be effective against armored opponents as well. The sword European Knights used to use wasn't very sharp on the edges but was so on the pointed tip. That meant it was mostly a stabbing weapon and it could be used to poke through gaps in armor, or you could grib it upside down by the blade and smash the handle into the enemy.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:43 pm

David wrote:Armor will really help against slashing attacks, but will have little effect on blunt impacts. The purpose of armor is to spread out impacts over a larger surface area, it can't actually weaken a blow. A helmet might protect your nose or eyes, but can't reduce blunt trauma to your neck and brain.
Maybe, but it CAN reduce the energy that flesh and bone with take from impacts by that very same priincple. You are very unlikely to have your skull split if you are wearing a solid helm, but you can certainly be concussed. Of course any warping the helmet undergoes will force the head to move too. This can be very bad as our skulls are not meant to change shape :P

I believe this is one of the reasons that axes were popular against armour; they would more easily cause a derformation in the armour that would wound.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:54 pm

Also, axes are popular against armor because they tend to hurt even if some flimsy sheet of metal is between them and their target.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:00 pm

I think that's pretty much what he was getting at, but said in different words.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:06 pm

Not really. He was talking about the fact that one of the downsides to metal armor is that when it _does_ break, it breaks inwards from the attack, and thus an attack to the rib might cause your armor to impale your own lung, etc. I'm talking about the fact that axes are useful against armor for another, more simple reason: they're powerful enough to break right through armor where swords would fail.

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:37 am

So-

Blunt weapons: Armor
Sharp weapons: No armor
Axes: Medium/light armor?

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:25 am

Wow, 100 pages and over 110k views. I make awesome threads! :D

Anyways I personally don't like the thought of armor in lugaru, because the heavier armor you get, the less mobile you are. Since David said a while ago everything is going to be physics based, it would be a pain to me to put on and take off armor every time I finish a battle or see an enemy (respectively).

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:19 am

invertin wrote:So-

Blunt weapons: Armor
Sharp weapons: No armor
Axes: Medium/light armor?
Have you ever played a game called Rune? (Not Runescape. Rune. There's a demo for it somewhere out there)

That's the way it worked in Rune.

As for wearing the armor, maybe you could wear lightweight armor like leather or something if you wanted to go against quicker foes, or wear heavier armor if you're going against similarly equipped opponents.

Or maybe there's like an arena part of the game where you go in and fight opponents. How many opponents you have and what kind of weapons/armor they give you can be random or whatever. THen maybe there could be a gladiator match with you against an opponents, both have claymores and heavy armor. It would be interesting.

Trying to punch heavy armor would break your hand BTW, you better get a weapon of some kind. Also, when you try to strike someone with heavy armor on with a sword, wouldn't it cause lots of vibrations? Those can hurt, especially if your hands have cuts etc. (Substitute "hands" with "paws" if you want to)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:59 pm

leDoOd wrote:Since David said a while ago everything is going to be physics based, it would be a pain to me to put on and take off armor every time I finish a battle or see an enemy (respectively).
Why would you take it off anyway? You'd still be carrying it, so taking it off isn't going to make it weigh you down less. In fact, it'd be easier to have it on all the time. Lol

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:09 am

If there was something like I had to jump on top of a building so I could get away from a mob of angry rabbits, it would be an inconvenience to be wearing full plate armor. I mean sure I'm going to last a bit longer against the mob if I keep my ground and fight but at least in the last lugaru 3/4 of the entire battle was doing acrobatics, which you'd be unable to do cause you were weighed down so much.

Cmyszka

Post by Cmyszka » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:19 am

yes! THANK YOU! the thing that makes Turner such a great fighter is his speed and acrobatics. With those he shouldn't need armor. Why ruin it by giving him heavy armor to lug around?