Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:10 pm

Yeah, I have Die by The Sword, and the expansion pack "Limb from Limb." The game has two modes, VSIM and ARCADE. In arcade you just hit the numbkeys and he does his predetermined sword swinging motion, you can cusomize your own moves in the Die By The Sword: Move Creator, but I just ignored that. In VSIM, you move your character's arms and his sword moves acordingly, so it was kind of difficult to get angled slices because his arm positions could only be moved in upper, middle, and lower swings. Holding down the mouse puts your sword in a verticle defence position so you can quickly move your arms around to block attacks and hit back with a counter (I don't know how the counters worked, but they seemed to be physics based and worked out really well in arcade mode).

Die By The Sword's full sword control was sweet, but it wouldn't work out for Lugaru. Your mouse controls the sword, not the camera, so you end up losing your side step motion (which is really fast in Lugaru since you're running sideways). The gameplay was neat but really slowed down because of this, and quick precision swings are near impossible to pull off.
You can just download the entire first level for the demo, if you have alot of free time or something, it's old.

Any kind of specific location swing should just be kept as a context sensitive button. There's only one move in the original, it could be increased by making it play similar to unarmed attacks. I think there should just be diffirent moves whether you're running, standing, crouching or at a specific distance, just like unarmed attacks.

But this is just talking about if Lugaru 2 was exactly like Lugaru 1. The On-The-Fly animations in Lugaru 2 could change everything.
Last edited by Zantalos on Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:16 pm

I think the only way to have real-time precision cuts would be to use a system like the celestial brush in Okami; you can freeze time, draw the line onto the screen, and then unfreeze, and you perform the cut.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:47 pm

That might be kinda cool...but wouldn't it ruin the whole flow of the game?

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:54 am

Can I get something Strait?
The Targeting System in SOS was Sorta Used in L1. I would Rather See Turner Hit 3 People With a Round house Kick than the one. That Might Increase the Chance of a counter. and if other Rabbits Could Accidentally Hit there owen guys.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:31 pm

The part about enemies being able to hit eachother is probably already thought of, but kicks are generally just to hit a single person :P . That actually wouldn't be realistic.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:14 am

Come on... Were not talking RL, Were Talking Turner attacking More than one guy. And I was talking round house Kick. on the Foot landing there Should also Be Minor Damage inflicted on a Foe if they are in the Way.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:11 am

yeah, and while we're at it, while not add the head explode function in gameplay instead of just debug. come on, we're not talking rl. if turner attacks a bunch of people, he should be able to deal completely unrealistic damage.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:53 pm

Kicking one person enough to do any real damage will definitely stop your foot. Unless you're like... uber-strong, I guess. Enough to go right through them with a single kick.

Oh, oh oh. I remembered something. Debug would be the most awesome thing I've ever seen in this. Don't bother putting in too much gore, but make sure that debug is there. I want the body-splosions with the soft body physics... -drool- That'd be so damned awesome.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:10 pm

I still think that kicks are directed towards one person, but when the person that you kicked goes into ragdoll, he doesn't... shouldn't fly.

Thehunterunseen

Post by Thehunterunseen » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:17 pm

How about adding improvised weapons? For example, you jump and kick a branch off a tree; then use it to beat the crap out of some wolves. Now of course a branch wouldn't last that long as a weapon but you get my meaning.

OTHER POSSIBILITIES:

Rocks
Dismembered Arms/Legs/Heads
Tree branches
Small Trees
bigger Rocks
Boulders (for kicking down a hill)
etc.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:42 pm

That would be awesome 8) . But in L1 you can use dead rabits to kill others... so I guess that's one down... yah.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:38 pm

Thehunterunseen wrote:Rocks
Tree branches
Small Trees
bigger Rocks
Boulders
(for kicking down a hill)
etc.
Made me laugh. :lol:

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:17 pm

Big ones, small ones, some the size of your head... lol, Lion King... Some people actually think that that's just a song from the Lion King when it's actually a real song :P

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:50 am

leDoOd wrote:
Thehunterunseen wrote:Rocks
Tree branches
Small Trees
bigger Rocks
Boulders
(for kicking down a hill)
etc.
Made me laugh. :lol:
(Imagines Turner Smashing a Rock over a Wolfs head)
Sounds like Dead Rising to me... that was a Cool game.

You need to be able to Drag bodies and Use them as Shields too.
and weaponry needs to get Broken. Bo staff of cores is Quicker to Break.

With the Sword first Stages of Damage might be they get Dull and Don't Cut so well, so you end up using a Sharpening Stone or Caning it.
the Next Stage is the End Breaks off. you now have a Dagger with a jagged Tip. then there is the Thing i think i said before. Stabbing a Knife into some one, going to Rip it out and because it was on an odd Angle the Blade Breaks from the Handle.
(its happened to me Once, don't say its not Posable! sad to say it was my Big Katana I owned :( )

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:56 am

You killed someone? You're one badass mofo.