Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:16 pm

That means we can probably expect it around this time 2007? Blah, that means I'll have to get a job and do other worldly things like getting a life and such, and won't have enough time for L2. Drat.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:23 pm

:cry: Noooo, the Suspence. i wana comit Genocide aganced Evil bunnys now. :evil:

oh well. lol.

and specking about genoside, maby you could varryate the Steath attacks. like Turner could smash the Evil bunnys in the kidnys, or back stab and gouge the Evil bunnys rather than allways Cutthoughting or "gorroting" them. maby he could trip them up and bellyflop/bodyslam them.

i always wanted to see a good belly flop in a game other than the Olimpics for PS2.

friday

Post by friday » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:59 pm

Grayswandir wrote: As for Lugaru 2 ideas (sorry if this has been mentioned...)
Adding to the incapacitating idea:
-busting their legs so they can't move when they wake up...
-torturing of some kind to get information (eg. toilet swirlies, busting legs, breaking fingers...etc...)
-throwing dead bodies in the ocean or something so they can't be found...
do you, by any chance, work part-time at Guantanamo base?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:25 am

Ninjas wrote:About items: Some equipment is going to be better than other equipment. Anything else would be unrealistic. It isn't going to be like a Japanese style RPG where you get the next tier of better equipment at the new town though.

Jumping and running: There is going to be a lot more of this gameplay.
About the items, that sounds perfect. I got rather irritated of waiting until the next town so I could get rid of this crappy Raging Flame Sword and get the super cool Flying Serpent Sword. I'm optimistic.

Also, about jumping and running, I like the sound of it, but I trust you guys are not going to let this game be plagued by repetitive jumping puzzles that are no fun like countless games in the past. I suspect the chance of David doing anything like that to be around 0.1%, though.
Jeff wrote:Don't expect Lugaru 2 to come out for a year, let alone a few months.
I respect that, but the three new additions to the programmer line-up surely cut the production time by a fair bit. Am I wrong in assuming so?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 am

I just thought of a great game type...which has probably been mentioned already...so I apologize in advance if it has...
David vs. The Goliath!!!
One player is "The Goliath"...they're 5x (or something like that...) the normal size of a rabbit and have extra health, extra armor, do more damage, and are slower...the other rabbits are "Davids" and have to kill "The Goliath".

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:49 am

DvG eh?
ok, moving on... :evil:

Thinking about what Graywandir said about throwing bodys into the water. will the Rag doll state make people flote or sink?

IRL dead bodys dont bleed (unless there is exstream pruesure or its fresh) and they flote.

whould you be able to pick up heads and trow them into a group of wolfs and Distract them, or maby hand them into a town? maby you could hit people over the head with a head? :twisted:

and will the blood mix with the water? a verry tranceparent red?
ik also noted that walking in blood did not make trails. what do you say about that? and i recon it was not that well done. maby it could be a little more alowing of the ground under it to show though. it did not look that realistic in my veiw.

keep up the improvements David. you have a great ider. dont leave us Hang for the ultamate Game with suprem Eye Candy. Although we have never met and i only know you as a Great Programer from you're games. i belive in you and everyone on yu're team :!:

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:33 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:I respect that, but the three new additions to the programmer line-up surely cut the production time by a fair bit. Am I wrong in assuming so?
They will help, but David is still the lead coder and project leader / designer and he is going to be very busy pursuing his triple major at Swarthmore. We did not get as much done this summer as we hoped - David was offered a contract at Freeverse that was too good to pass up, so that has been sucking up a lot of potential Lugaru time, plus there was WWDC, and other random stuff.

David is a machine though and he actually thinks that the Swarthmore environment might be more condusive to productive programming than San Francisco, so we'll see. Maybe he will actually get even more work done during the school year.

The moral of the story is that life is unpredictable and release dates are pointless, especially in a hobbyist project.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:48 am

David and Goliath? Sounds kinda weird with the giant thing. What I was thinking was just have one person attack more powerfully, and do everything a lot better than anyone else, and pit him against all the other guys (1 vs X). Maybe depending on how many X there are could determine how powerful Goliath is. As usualy, killing Goliath will make you gain points, and make you respawn as him.

How about Murderball? (idea stolen from TFC). There are 4 bases (in L2 houses?) and there are 2 or 3 people a team (so smaller games would only have 2 teams). In the center of the play area is a slightly raised platform with the murderball on it (in TFC it was a soccerball (or football. Depends on if you go to the toilets or the loo)). Someone goes and gets the murderball and he picks it up. it makes him move slower but the longer he holds it the more poitns the team gets.

He can also pass the murderball around, but the enemies have a chance of intercepting it. When the person with the murderball dies it either goes back to start or flies across the map and bounces off stuff untill it lays to rest somewhere.

Anyways... ummm, wait, braindead, aw well, figure something out?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:40 am

Goliath, in actual fact, was actually just a very tall man. That's what I've been told anyway.

And Jeff, I know what you're saying about the release dates and such, but I was saying that the three programmers have probably sped up things s bit.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:58 am

friday wrote:
Grayswandir wrote: As for Lugaru 2 ideas (sorry if this has been mentioned...)
Adding to the incapacitating idea:
-busting their legs so they can't move when they wake up...
-torturing of some kind to get information (eg. toilet swirlies, busting legs, breaking fingers...etc...)
-throwing dead bodies in the ocean or something so they can't be found...
do you, by any chance, work part-time at Guantanamo base?
Oh god, how did you know?!!!
I also work as a contract assassin and a massage therapist. :roll:

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:26 am

Good. how much. my back is Killing me. some one hit me with a 2x4 and it hurds like a Beep. :cry:

any way. you dont wana hear of my Battle scars.

I dont know if this was said, but i dont relly care:
:D

I recon rather than cutting from the last levil to the next you should have to journy. along the way you should have to eat and forage, or buy pies from the Dairy. maby you could also hunt. and thought for you "butchers"
:P :wink: :D

you have to butcher you're owen meat. how ever that could get rather messy.

maby you could have Great Emus and Koi or karp. maby mutant Gizzal. or maby they hunt Cave men? maby they ride cave men? :lol:

Seriusly i could Imagin Turner Riding an Emu.

Sartan

Post by Sartan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:18 am

Wouldn't pies be found in a bakery? Dairy pies are something else entirely. :lol:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:51 am

Trying to read Colicedus's posts makes me giggle. There are many random capitalisations and humourous spelling errors. :P

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:22 pm

bOt gramps my spellonG is Perfectyl phine!

And you'd buy cow pies from the dairy (yummm)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:32 pm

You cannot call me Gramps yet. You have yet to prove yourself, young novice.