Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:25 pm

I thought we had discussed this already.

I want it like this personally.
Not levels like in Lugaru, but of course there has to be loading points.
You should be able to travel all across the island (except for places that's geographically unreachable by whatever forms of travel availible)
and maybe even further, like other islands. This depends on how big the island is of course, we don't know how big it really is.
I think David said long-distance travel might be like in Fallout, which sounds
good

Another thing, you MUST be able to go postal and kill friendly people :twisted: And the whole world should not automatically know it's you,
like in some games. So you should be able to be the hero who everyone
loves, while at the same time you sneak around at night killing people,
with no one knowing it's you. So reputation and what people think of you
will have to be very flexible for that.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:55 pm

Kalexon wrote:I think that the island will in fact be full scale.
I'm gonna have to get a bigger monitor.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:06 pm

Phew. That's good. I just got a new computer with 2 Gigs of RAM :D . So..... it's going to be kinda like WoW, sept with lugaru style fighting and characters? I hate Wow :x ......

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:10 pm

WoW is a MMORPG
Lugaru2 will be a action/adventure.

So, take WoW, take away the turnbased combat, add in lugaru combat, make it offline, change everything into rabbits, add some stuff that has nothing to do with Wow, remove some stuff that defines WoW, and you got lugaru2.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:11 pm

:?:
Definitly not like WoW.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:24 pm

Crill3 wrote::?:
Definitly not like WoW.
Sarcasm

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:09 pm

aight :P .

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:30 pm

What?

It took 5 clicks on submit to submit this message. What's up with that. It doesn't happen always.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:38 pm

OMG :roll: . That's short for alright........

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:00 pm

Thought, Rep only goes down with a faction if person attacked can identify you (maybe you could where balaclava to hide your identity) and if some one sees you killing some one, also if they survive your rep goes down.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:48 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:Ok, Lugaru 2 might be considered an RPG, but definitely more of an ARTRPG or something like that. (Action Real Time Role Playing Game)
I fully agree.

Crill3 wrote:I thought we had discussed this already.

I want it like this personally.
Not levels like in Lugaru, but of course there has to be loading points.
You should be able to travel all across the island (except for places that's geographically unreachable by whatever forms of travel availible)
and maybe even further, like other islands. This depends on how big the island is of course, we don't know how big it really is.
I think David said long-distance travel might be like in Fallout, which sounds
good
Nuky wrote:I beg to differ, Zanta... I believe I recall the team mentioning that the island will, in fact, be fullscale.
I don't know, I hope it would, but that doesn't seem to be what David is hinting at.
David wrote:Probably more like Fallout in this respect because unlike Oblivion the L2 world is full-scale; it would take weeks or months to walk across the entire map.
Besides saying that traveling will be more like Fallout than oblivion, I think "full-scale" simply means that the island will be hundreds or thousands of miles wide instead of Oblivion's 15 mile landscape (I forgot exactly how big). Or else David could have just said it's more like Oblivion because you would be able to move around freely, instead of like Fallout where you have to fast travel everywhere and you don't even have the option of walking there.
david wrote:Food and water will probably only be an issue when you travel to areas where they are not readily available, such as the middle of a desert; Turner can forage for himself while travelling. In town, eating will have more of a social role, in that you can talk to everyone else. Resting will be important, but you will usually only have to do it manually if you want to recover from injuries or wait for something. If someone is hunting you, then they will definitely wait until you are distracted or asleep before attacking.

This also hints that you won't actually be running around across the map in Lagaru 2. Foraging for food or creating shelters might not mean you are literally walking around gathering up food and setting up camps. It's just, if you travel across the desert you have to bring food and water, if you travel across green fields it happens automatically. It would be cool if you could set up a camp, but I think it's going to be more like resting while on the overhead map.
David wrote:The level of detail in Lugaru 2 is instantaneous; there is no way to 'catch up' to it. Basically, the entire scene is stored in memory at several levels of detail, and the appropriate one is drawn to the screen. Even if you teleport across the map in one frame, it will be rendered correctly.

Level of detail and data streaming are similar techniques, but not the same thing.

Now, I'm pretty sure this would be impossible if this was all on one map/level. It sounds more like Lugaru 1 where you have multiple levels that you load up, do whatever, and then load up the next map/area when you're done. The only thing different is that you have complete control of where you want to go and when.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:59 am

NickD wrote:OMG :roll: . That's short for alright........
I know.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:58 am

The Map system seems to remind me a bit like Geneforge. :?

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:45 pm

You're right about the part about the island being too big to be loaded in memory at once, detailed. But when David speaks of Fallout, I believe he's talking about the quick-travel?

Also, Oblivion is not full-scale? I've been playing that game, and it seems to prety much be one not-way-too-big continent of sorts to me. (I must admit it's pretty darn huge, though)

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:04 pm

I bet David is secretly laughing at us as we struggle to understand his subtle clues.