Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:38 pm

yeh, I know, I was only saying that voice recognition IS around, only, it takes big budget and time...

Personally, I dont think voice recognition is a good idea for lugaru though :?
I think somehow it will ruin the game.

maybe hotkeys for commands

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:02 am

I hate commandy games where you have to command other people around and stuff :|

*shrug*

But then again, I never play them, so who knows?

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:33 am

It could work for bots on the online multiplayer, like instead of having to press C, 2 to say "Enemy spotted!", you could just yell "Holy crap, he's right over there!" and they could get it.

But yeah, Lugaru's single player doesn't need that, and the traditional system isn't too hard to get used to anyways.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:27 pm

Ledood! That's not exactly how it would work!
I doubt that you'll find any game on the market that can recognize full nouns, adjetives, and verbs and then somehow relate them into a sentence when you say them (And I'm not talking about Microsoft Word either). That is the kind of thing that won't be around until ten years or so. If you're talking about plain old speech recognition, then you're right, you would just have to say that whole line of "Holy crap, He's right over there," every time you see an enemy joggin at you.

Don't really see the need for commanding people around in multiplayer. I doubt flanking manuevers and spotting would work in a melee game (unless there's something like a long ranged mode, that would be wierd). And the people who play Counter-Strike, what exactly is the need for shouting enemy spotted? It doesn't help your allies find people on the map like Battlefield (though it's not exactly the commanders observing troop movements across the field), in fact, it's not like the enemies in that game ever go stealthy when they fight. Everyone pretty much always knows where the enemies are gathered around when they play small maps like De_dust 1 and 2. And yet, people in that game are constantly voice commanding "enemy spotted" "need backup" and the usual banter for seemingly no reason at all. But nevermind that, I think it's clear that nobody really wants voice commands in Lugaru, people normally use programs like Vent anyways.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:01 pm

Zantalos wrote:I doubt that you'll find any game on the market that can recognize full nouns, adjetives, and verbs and then somehow relate them into a sentence when you say them (And I'm not talking about Microsoft Word either). That is the kind of thing that won't be around until ten years or so.
Yeah, you won't find a game, but it's possible. The University of Hamburg has implemented a translator software that can translate spoken language between english, japanese and german in a known context (making an appointment).

Since the context is known here, it would be possible. But the effort to realize it and the processing time for this feature would be immense. So.. it just doesn't make sense.

Ten years is very optimistic.

JLrep

Post by JLrep » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:23 pm

I'd say more like three years.

Seven to ten to be integrated into commercial products, though.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:37 pm

Of course, attempting to predict something like that is a waste of time in itself.

I was thinking in areas of dialogue, there could be different options as to what you want Turner to say in the situation, sometimes resolving the situation, "Calm down, I'm not here to wage war", sometimes aggravating the situation, "I will kill you and all of your chickens." :P

I know it's been used in a lot of other games like the Monkey Island series, KOTOR and Deus Ex, but it's really cool in my opinion.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:05 pm

Have you played the Broken Sword series? I think the Lugaru dialog system will be sort of like that. You will have several icons representing certain topics you can ask about. Appropriate items from your inventory are also iconified and you can ask about them. As you ask about stuff, they will disappear and possibly unlock new, related icons.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:08 pm

Very cool! Will you be able to hear your responses? Or will it just be implied that you said something mean/nice?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:20 pm

After you click the button, you will say something, they will respond, maybe you will say something again, etc. and then when the exchange is over you will be given choices again.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:21 pm

are the rabbits sill gunna speak in that luanguage? or are people going to do voice over? (incuding in fights the grunts etc)

because that noise they make in lugaru IS quite annoying...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:47 pm

It's not, really.

And yeah, Jeff, I have played some of the Broken Sword games. That dialogue system was also used in the PC RPG Septerra Core. It's handy, because once you hear about something new off one person, you can go back to people previously said everything you possibly could to and you will have the new option.
I prefer the dialogue system where you can pick which line you want to say, but that system would probably be quite time-consuming and the system you mentioned is quite fine itself. It's not the main aspect of the game, so there's no real point fussing over it.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:09 pm

How about like in "elder scrolls: oblivion"?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:12 pm

I detest that game.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:18 pm

I mean the way you talk to people.

I detest that game too , after paying 80 dollars for it (aus money)
I dont like how it is OVERLY open ended, too confusing...
They say you can be a thief and a criminal in tthe game, but as soon as you steal something, BAM dead... HOW do all the guards find out u stole it so quickly?!?