Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:50 pm

Sorry if that sounded really tedious, it won't let me do paragraphs.

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:11 pm

MacWiggy wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade Sage, but I'm kinda against the whole RPG element. If every enemy carries "200 GP" and some useless jeweled accesories, then you start worrying about where to sell them, and once you sell them of course you use that money to buy some armor, which is in turn sold to a dealer across the street at a higher price, and finally you get your wonderful steel gauntlets, and go out into the wilderness to fight more wolves. Which of course, have 200 GP and some jeweled accesories!
In a nutshell, once your whole game revolves around material possessions, and getting the Spatula of +5 Cheeseburger Flopping, you stray away from the plot, and lose the fun of the game. I'd rather have a much simpler weapons system like Halo, (Just to give an example) where you have two interchangable weapons that can be ditched to pick up ones from the opponents.
I'm not ALL against the "customizable character" idea though, just as long as it doesn't become an obsession. Maybe just as a Multiplayer thing. "End of rant".
When, in my whole talk about character customization, did I mention anything about gaining 500 gp and doing this and that and getting the best material possesions blah blah? If you didn't notice that whole spatula thing was a freakin joke to get a point across.

And about the stealth ability, crouching will probably be the stealth ability since you get down pretty low, and I hope you don't show up on enemie's maps in the first place.... unless you're playing a game like Murderball where it's essential for you to know where the "ball" is all the time.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:30 pm

I wasn't reffering to that reply in particular, I was talking about a lot of the other RPG suggestions you've made, And mainly just clearing it up for everyone. (Especially the staff of Lugaru) And if you didn't notice, my "whole spatula thing" was a freakin joke to get a point across. "Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flatulence" or something like that.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:51 pm

Material item progression will be an important part of Lugaru 2; you will start out without any equipment and gradually gain more valuable and effective weapons and armor. However, this will not be the entire focus of the game as it is in many fantasy rpgs.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:10 am

Good.

BUT THERE'S THAT TENSION AGAIN! Gosh-diggity.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:02 am

ok... i ment animatons. not Class.
I gave up on WOW two months ago. the Graphcs sucked. the game play sucked. and it was just all stats. I got sick of that.

i found Lugaru. that had everything i wanted. I hate class systems. but what i was saying was personalize the moves. but keep them Game play wise the same.

and Going back to the Female Bunnys. i dont get what you Sage about ShirtFemale. What you could do is maby add wider hips and make there chest er... a little puffed out. maby not show anything that little boys might think about next time they are in the shower, but you get the ider.
allthough it is only a game, thats one thing that you could improve.

they looked like to me in L1 like the bunny Graphics. Just a little constructive Critacisame (dont ask me how to spell that, ma spellin iz Terrybull) that may improve the graphics.

Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:25 am

Colicedus wrote:i dont get what you Sage about ShirtFemale.
Go into Lugaru with debug on. Go to any level and in console type "clothes shirtfemale" and look at yourself.

I'm sure David will have a different bunny model for the females (or have the character customize thing that I'm so obsessed with.)

I hate classes, too. I always go with the all-around guy that can do whatever is necessary, when it's necessary, just not as well as an expert.

Also about the graphics. Look at the blog and you'll be blown away :P.

About the material possessions... wouldn't everybody want the best armor? Or are you going to have it so that the most protective armor makes you slow down a lot (like Tribes 2 and many other games etc.)? It would seem, then, that only the NPC's would use heavy armor, as the player character has to do all those ninja moves, and heavy armor would make that hard. Same goes with weapons.

Also, I wonder how a bunny would wear shoes? It would have to be a weird shoe... or did they get used to getting splinters and scrapes from rocks on their feet?

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:48 am

The game definitely some jump n' run. Y'know, where you have to jump through a giant tower as lava is coming up or something. Lugaru had a really awesome jumping, flipping, and wall-bouncing system, and you never really use it.

(And don't tell me someone else suggesed this, because this thread is too damn huge.)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:01 am

David, will heavy armour affect your jump distance/height?

Because it might be cool if there was some huge structure you wanted to climb, but had to take off your armour and leave it at the bottom to climb it, leaving the risk of having your armour stolen or something.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:46 am

About items: Some equipment is going to be better than other equipment. Anything else would be unrealistic. It isn't going to be like a Japanese style RPG where you get the next tier of better equipment at the new town though.

Jumping and running: There is going to be a lot more of this gameplay.

NickD

Post by NickD » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:33 pm

Is there going to be a multiplayer mode? that would be awesome. :)

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:39 pm

Heavy armor will affect jump height, and multiplayer support is planned :)

NickD

Post by NickD » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:49 pm

you guys use C++ and OpenGL right? do you use the same to host multiplayer games? Oh yah, and will L2 come out be4 christmas?

Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:59 pm

NickD wrote:Oh yah, and will L2 come out be4 christmas?
I heard from one place that it would be this fall, but in the radio interview it said sometime in 2007, so no.

Belated christmas presents can sometimes be the best, though.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:52 pm

NickD wrote:you guys use C++ and OpenGL right? do you use the same to host multiplayer games? Oh yah, and will L2 come out be4 christmas?
It's written in C++ and it uses OpenGL among other libraries. The server app will not need OpenGL, because it won't be displaying graphics!

Don't expect Lugaru 2 to come out for a year, let alone a few months.