c_y@

Re:

Post by c_y@ » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:29 pm

invertin wrote:IDEA
THAT
CAME
TO
MIND

I dunno if it's hard to implement, but it would be hard to define..

Basically- If an enemy tries something and it doesn't work, it'll try something else.

The problems with putting this in- How to you define "not working"? How do you make artificial creativity?

It's a good idea I think. A good example of where this would work in other games is in Metroid fusion, there's a certain area where SA-X can't reach you but can still see you and will just keep jumping up and down trying to get you.

It would realize that it cannot reach you and would remember not to try jumping at you right now. Then it would try another solution- Like standing back and shooting you.
look at the game N.E.R.O great example of in game learning AI. i also think that there can be villages and cities. villages are obviously less developed and cities can have more homes,taller buildings(whitch might be cool if u can jump off a skyscrape), rooftop enemies and other things.

resin

Re: Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Post by resin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Zantalos wrote:I don't know if David has seen this but this is a really cool city generator. It looks like a pipe game at first but they model in the buildings later.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... 71592.html
It would be so awesome if David could make something like that. Except they probably would not resemble crowded metropolitan cites so much. but anyways it's really neat. It can make cities that are very simple with few branching roads, or make them very complex with a center and circular branching roads, or very straight and block like with square branching roads, a lot of different kinds. Also it looks like they wrap around the landscape.
That looked really cool. It would be neat if a program like that could do some destruction, overgrowth of flora, and maybe a little tidal flooding as well.

I've really only skimmed the surface of this monster thread, my own addition would be ropes and/or chains for climbing even higher and ranged attacks/fast gap closing. I also think it would be cool to have all the mutated animals much closer to the size of their original ancestor so that mice/rats were half the size of rabbits and wolves were twice the size.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:12 pm

resin wrote:I've really only skimmed the surface of this monster thread, my own addition would be ropes and/or chains for climbing even higher and ranged attacks/fast gap closing.
Not to mention a grappling hook for sneaking into towns... perhaps even be able to cut the ropes on a suspension bridge to drop it while people are crossing it...

About the size: I figured the wolves and rabbits are going to stay about the same size they are now. I pictured the mice as being a head or two shorter than the rabbits maybe.

resin

Post by resin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:25 pm

other animals I might want to see:
Racoons
cats
small mice
otters/weasels/ferrets
possum
foxes
squirrels
porcupine
skunk

Someone said that only mammals were effected, otherwise I would be adding birds, spiders,snakes and ants in a heartbeat. I thinking focusing on just rabbits, possibly wolves for about 70% of the characters would be good, but then having some others for the added color would be cool.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:32 pm

resin wrote:other animals I might want to see:
squirrels
Yes... very yes... please?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:41 pm

Oh My God Lol.

That would be amazing. XD

...ELEPHANTS, KANGAROOS AND PENGUINS..!!

...no... let's not make it too much... x3

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:49 pm

The elephants automatically run away from the mice and other small rodents.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Epicness ensues.
STAMPPEEEEEEDE!

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:26 pm

((Long post I know, sorry XD))

Alright, so I was having a discussion with some of the other folks on the IRC thread (Hello other folks *waves*) and I got to thinking about this one idea:

If, and that's a big IF, modular clothing were to be implemented, and also if we could customise our own characters for Singleplayer mode (or customise Turner at the very least), wouldn't it be cool if some of our clothing decisions affected our characters, depending on the environment they were in?

Example 1: Desert Clothing
---------------------------------

So, we all know when travelling in the desert, wearing white (or light coloured) clothes helps keep the heat off better than black clothes (As light coloured clothing reflects the sun's rays, while dark clothing absorbs it.) So, if your character were to wear black clothing (or heavy clothing, or worse, black heavy clothing), they'd be more likely to overheat, and would be a bit more sluggish than those who wear lightweight, white coloured clothing.

Example 2: Footwear and swamps
----------------------------------------

In a hypothetical swamp setting, you'd have to take into consideration the terrain there, and any possible natural hazards it poses (For instance, bodies of water might hide sharp debris or biting creatures, and other areas might be full of thick mud and quicksand.) When considering clothing, footwear would be quite important. Both heavy and light footwear (and going barepaw) have their advantages and disadvantages:

Barepaw/Light Footwear example:
Turner goes through a swamp area and wades through a small body of water, wearing nothing on his feet. He steps on a protruding stick, and injures his foot, causing him to limp for a while. Later, he recovers, and shortly afterwards is pursued by enemies, and after running through the area, finds his path is blocked by a large patch of thick knee-depth mud, with seemingly no visible way around it. He makes it through, slowed down slightly by the thickness of the mud, but otherwise unaffected. Meanwhile his pursuers flounder about helplessly, and quickly lose him, retreating and cursing the rabbit for being so awesome.

Heavy/Thick-soled footwear example:
My hypothetical custom character is fond of wearing rather thick-soled sandals (Think the thick-soled sandals that the floppy-eared concept art rabbit wears, which I hope will be available in game. :D). Following Turner's trail shortly afterwards, he finds the same body of water Turner had to wade through. He makes it through without a problem. He steps on a twig, his thick soled sandals causing it to snap, alerting the aforementioned enemies to his presence. After fleeing, he too finds his path blocked by a patch of quicksand. He starts to wade through, but the quicksand grips the soles of his sandals, and he is slowed down severely, having to stop every few seconds to tug at his feet. Eventually he sinks to his waist, and the enemies leave him to his fate. He is rescued in the nick of time by a friend, who asks what he was doing wearing sandals in the swamp in the first place.

So there we have it. :3

As well as that, here's a piece of art I cooked up regarding the whole matter (This was made in a PChat session with some of the folks here):

As you can see, this unfortunate rabbit has managed to get his sandals stuck in the mud, slowing him down. :3 (That'd be the aforementioned hypothetical custom character I'd make, by the way.)

xrodneyx

Post by xrodneyx » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:31 am

Recently, i listened up some music (which is from Morrowind music mod - Morrowind Music Overdose 2), and it's atmosphere reminded me Lugaru and Mikka's Lugaru2 Music Excerpt a lot, here is the link - http://rapidshare.com/files/153896874/M ... e.mp3.html

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

It would be cool if there was an online multiplayer mode where you can free roam, and do things freely i suppose like a MMO game :D and go to different cities with different breeds and species of animals.

xombie5

Post by xombie5 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:42 pm

would be nice for the ragdoll to be a usable move - aka holding down a "ragdoll key" to stay in ragdoll form for multiplayer - to pretend to be a corpse and stuff like that :P

(i say multiplayer as i guess it would be pretty darn hard to make an intelligent ai to deal with ragdoll camoflauge)

Cosec

Post by Cosec » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:20 pm

other animals I might want to see:
Racoons
cats
small mice
otters/weasels/ferrets
possum
foxes
squirrels
porcupine
skunk

Someone said that only mammals were effected, otherwise I would be adding birds, spiders,snakes and ants in a heartbeat. I thinking focusing on just rabbits, possibly wolves for about 70% of the characters would be good, but then having some others for the added color would be cool.
No beavers? :(

Novac

Post by Novac » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:57 pm

Okay, well this is going to sound a bit... well morbid. I would like to see the weapons do damage to other characters and I don't just mean like show blood, scratches, et cetera. I would like hammers and things to "crush" body parts of other characters and possibly have bladed weapons cut off body parts. For added fun.. why not be able to pick up a body part and use IT as a weapon. Smacking someone around with their own arm brings a smile to my face... I hope I'm not the only one.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:45 am

Novac wrote:Okay, well this is going to sound a bit... well morbid. I would like to see the weapons do damage to other characters and I don't just mean like show blood, scratches, et cetera. I would like hammers and things to "crush" body parts of other characters and possibly have bladed weapons cut off body parts. For added fun.. why not be able to pick up a body part and use IT as a weapon. Smacking someone around with their own arm brings a smile to my face... I hope I'm not the only one.
No, you're not. The word "dismemberment" is unreasonably common in these forums.