Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:29 am

Aren't Prince of Persia speed-kills scripted to facing specific enemies, while running along specific walls? That would make it a bit harder to just throw these in there when you're talking about a vast open game world that's trying to be more ambitious than running level after level. I mean, I don't know how these work, but when you're talking about pulling off button combinations, that's usually the developers setting that up every single time that happens, that could take quite a while if you can't find a way to do that non-scripted.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:35 am

Kinda Random but a little on topic.
if an enemy enters a room you are given three seconds to stealth kill/KO him/her from in front

this could include flipping from around a wall while the stealth key is pressed and you perform a move that smacks him in the chest, then in the gut, then shoving him on the ground. then Ripping his head off and Drop kicking it out a window. :P

you get what I mean. If there his no head Drop kicking in L2 I am gonna Raise the holy fires of hell :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:53 am

Doormonger
Awarded for stealth killing someone as they enter a room from the front.

Szs315
Closet Mac lover

Post by Szs315 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:10 am

No, I meant changing the speed kills, not making the exactly like prince of persia. Anyways, I think there should a lock-on system for throwing and fighting and jumping and dodging and other stuff.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:24 pm

I don't like locking systems. When you're fighting, do you lock onto one person? I like being free to immediatley react to new situations without having to lock onto a new target.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:46 pm

It'd be fair if your enemies were held captive by the same system and only one could lock onto you at a time. But then you're back to the same old boring combat systems.

That's the beauty of the Lugaru combat system; you have to be prepared for attacks from all quarters and enemies around you.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:11 pm

No, absolutly no lock-on for h2h, but maybe for throwing knives, though
it would be really fun manually aiming that..

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:21 pm

Yeah, why would you need locking on for fighting and throwing? It's context sensitive so it's not like you're gonna be swinging at the air or throwing your knife in the opposite direction.

I don't really get how you would lock on for jumping and dodging.

I think it would be pretty sweet to have enemies with different skill levels. So if you're trying to attack someone who is inexperienced he'll do things like what Colicedius was saying. You could barge into the room and he wouldn't be ready for the first half second or so, giving you a free shot. However if you're fighting a pro he'll get ready as soon as he sees you so you wouldn't be able to surprise him by barging into the room and roundhouse kicking him into a wall, he'll just stop you.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:21 pm

New, different skill levels for enemies would be great.

Right now we have a few bunnies who are a little stronger or a little faster, like Jet, and a few bunnies who seem better at reversals. and wolves who are all stronger, faster and more aware, and the Alpha who is all these things.

But if there were enemies at certain points in the game that you couldn't get past until you acquired a higher level of skill yourself, and forced you to take a different route and forgo whatever reward was beyond the tougher fighter, it would add some more depth to the experience, IMO.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:06 am

If we had the skill thing it would make me think of it as an RPG. Which is just wrong for lugaru (I'm not saying RPG's are bad, they're just, not good.)

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:58 pm

I want to be able to come up from under and enemy (say they're above you...) or behind them and slit their hamstring.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:17 pm

Just another random thought for map editing while coming home on the buss.

I kinda get a little of the idea of hight maps.

Well in map editing mode (I think it should be a third party program myself) while creating a world, I think Hight maps should be smaller so they can be put on the map as tiles. that way you can have a large map with canyons and different water levels, but there Preloaded and able to be placed down so it saves the time of making them yourself. and you can also import your owen.

and an idea that I saw in Blades of Exile's map editor.

NPCs should be in a cluster called a Party.
in the editor you should be able to pick out how many rabbits you want in the group, how skilled they are, there appearance, there status at particular hours of the day, there patrol routs, wether there hostile, there formation, how they will get though particular ground (Some places may end up being impassable because of cliffs and all; if the AI is dumb enough to walk off a cliff without the influence of Turner I will be pretty hacked off), etc.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:02 pm

Why would you want the editor to be third-party? Or do you mean stand-alone?

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:04 pm

What's wrong with RPGs? I say tacking on RPG elements without thinking is indeed a bad idea. If implemented skillfully, however, it could really add to the gameplay.

Also, I like the idea about parties of enemies.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:33 pm

The Geneforge series glorified the game genre known as RPG, as did the Avernum series.

Most RPGs are good, but sometimes they're not. The Exile series had a rather rusty engine IMO.