Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:37 pm

How about we give Turner spandex? Any takers? Rabbitman! By day, maniacal anthropomorphic rabbit with a penchant for killing. By night, err...maniacal anthropomorphic rabbit with a penchant for killing and also a cape.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:53 pm

Sage wrote:
Colicedus wrote:German Stainless Steal (steel)
HOLY CRAP! I WANT GERMAN BUNNIES!

Inches? Centimeters perhaps?

What would be neat is if it had a system in Red Orchestra that reflects certain things. If you shot a tank with an SP shell and it hit it at a bad angle it would just bounce off. So, if you tried to stab someone with a knife who was wearing armor, not only are you a complete moron, but the knife might just not penetrate, or would slide away if it was at a bad angle.

In the situation of heavily armored knight, use a flanged mace/morning star.
or maybe the Dreaded Shock troopers of late Europe Best Weapon, Halberds! These Bad boys could Gouge a Horse or Cleave a man in two.
how ever, i think the Halberd was Slow because of its Length.
thats why they were used in a Formation of 5 Ranks i believe.

Any way... Weapons that almost Ignore Armor.
German Bunnies. what could one ask for?

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:53 pm

Is Lugaru 2 going to be Universal Binary? PLEASE say yes. When a game isn't universal, like MOH: Allied Assault, it runs like total crap. But if it is Universal binary, like Call of Duty 2, I can run it at full quality. FULL QUALITY!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:02 pm

MacWiggy wrote:Is Lugaru 2 going to be Universal Binary? PLEASE say yes. When a game isn't universal, like MOH: Allied Assault, it runs like total crap. But if it is Universal binary, like Call of Duty 2, I can run it at full quality. FULL QUALITY!
For sure.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:05 pm

You mean "fo' sho".

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:00 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote: I agree with that. Sword disarms were way too easy for the enemy to perform, so that even if you and the enemy had a swordfight, and you knocked his sword away, there's a 90% chance your next swipe will be countered and you'll lose your sword anyway.
You know you can counter the sword-disarm right?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:16 pm

So? My point is not that you can't counter the counter, it's that they counter too often. It takes away the fun of it if almost every single swipe is blocked. That's not how it would be if you had a sword and were fighting a swordless opponent.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:29 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:So? My point is not that you can't counter the counter, it's that they counter too often. It takes away the fun of it if almost every single swipe is blocked. That's not how it would be if you had a sword and were fighting a swordless opponent.
In particular martial Arts you are taught to grab a sword and snatch it from you're opponent. and i think you would too if a guy was about to murder you. I gather that Combat was real Oriental, so i think it could happen. have you guys used or seen a Fight with Real blades?
Not Hollywood (come on, they have ninjas Chopping Flys bits off)

I saw a Meshetty Fight once on a buss. But i don't think that counts.
Dam that was Messy. :?

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:43 pm

meshetty=machete?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:55 pm

Sword reversals are going to be toned down a lot in Lugaru 2.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:09 am

zatoichi wrote:meshetty=machete?
Thanks... :oops:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:58 pm

Colicedus wrote:In particular martial Arts you are taught to grab a sword and snatch it from you're opponent. and i think you would too if a guy was about to murder you. I gather that Combat was real Oriental, so i think it could happen. have you guys used or seen a Fight with Real blades.
...No matter WHAT martial art form you are using, you won't be able to catch a sword while unarmed, nine times out of ten.
David wrote:Sword reversals are going to be toned down a lot in Lugaru 2.
He even agrees, so the sword disarms apparently were far too frequent.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:45 pm

Aww man, screw chivalry (it's not called chivalry) as soon as I get a sword, I pwn then, since reversals were the only real balance against a weapon with a 2 hit kill (sometimes 1 hit kill).
Ahh, I know it'll work, somehow.

As for stances, that sounds like a good idea. Not like, a huge switch between tiger claws and tae kwon dao when you hit tab. Things like, if there are multiple enemies you go into horse stance, able to defend your sides and front effectively (not your back though). Then more subtle changes like forward stance against another apponent to fight aggresive, back stance when you dodge a kick or something. And then cat stance to fight defensively against a more armed person. basic karate stances like this can't be tabbed though, since in an actual fight, alot more things are happening at once. First you'll fight 3 guys, then two guys, then someone will call help and you'll fight 4, you'll probably end up jumping a 25 foot valley, a wolf might come out while you're running away and you'll compensate for that, anything will happen. Quick things like this are much too hard to deal with sliders (since moving a bar would take way too long when a fight only lasts like 40 seconds tops), it'd have to automatic or something.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:16 am

Sorry if i Break from this Converse. this is about how to improve combat.
What are the Hardest Situations? I can name a few.

Fighting more than 3 Bunnies at the same time.
what can you do about it? you could start running like mad and try to take each one on at a time. if you are witty you could Flip over them and then rabbit kick. sending one into all of them.

Suggestion here. add a Mid air kick that goes 180* or 360* and any one in the radius gets Knocked. it may cause little Damage but it gives you a breather.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:26 am

Sword reversals will be toned down, but that doesn't mean that swords will be more powerful; the biggest change I am thinking of right now is making swords get stuck in things. In most games (Lugaru included) all sharp weapons act kind of like lightsabers; they just go through anything. This is probably a symptom of their foundation in movie physics, where sword slices are usually simulated by just slicing right next to the target and adding special effects.

In Lugaru 2 I am going to try and make this more realistic. If you stab or slice into someone far enough to kill them, it may not be trivial to get your weapon back out again, especially if he is wearing armor. Also, it is not always that easy to get a solid hit with a sword. If the unarmed defender is very skilled, then he still won't be able to grab the attacker's sword arm from out of range and disarm him like in L1, but he may be able to deflect the attack into a less lethal one, and get close enough to make the sword useless. A sword is effective at medium-long range (by hand-to-hand terms) and in open spaces but not very effective at grappling range or in confined environments; in that case a knife is much more effective because it has much more room to move.