Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:07 pm

You guys are talking about a "make your own move" system similar in Tobashi right? You decide where body parts move and the game determines how much power and attack has, and what kind of effects it has. Then when you're satisfied you save the attack and you can sort of "add" it to your umm, fighting library?

The issue I see with that is (especially in Multiplayer) is that... moves have to be able to be countered, right? You would also have to have some sort of animation. The only way I see of anything like that happening is if people made the moves and counters, submutted them to a contest thing, and in the next update you could go to your "kung-fu library" and pick what mvoes your character knows and stuff?

I think I just lost myself, kbai

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:25 pm

That game is way too complicated for a fast-paced game like Lugaru. We're talking about different "sliders" that will adjust how Turner attacks. Like if you slide one slider towards "Jump Higher", Turner will lose body weight and jump higher, but his attacks will do less because he has less oomph, etc.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:59 pm

Losing body weight would not simply allow you to jump higher.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:03 pm

Yeah, I would assume jumping higher as apposed to further would be up to whether you're crouching or sprinting before the jump. I think a bar would just get in the way of that.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:04 pm

Just making a quick example, since he didn't get what we were talking about.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:00 am

I see, but how would you control the sliders? And what I was talking about was... never mind, the idea sucked anyways.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:27 pm

Some of those sliders seemed very...unnecessary anyway.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:17 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Some of those sliders seemed very...unnecessary anyway.
Agreed. :|

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:44 am

I was just thinking of the general idea to be able to change your combat style. What the sliders actually did could be changed.

Some other random ideas:

- Every rabbit/wolf for himself levels (too much cooperation between enemies, especially between rabbits and wolves)

- AI allies - A huge 10 vs. 10 battle would be so much fun. These allies could gang up on enemies, notice if you were in danger and help you, and even wake you up if you get knocked out. Of couse, AI enemies would have to receive these abilities as well.

- Fewer sword disarms - It's so easy for an enemy to disarm your sword that it's hardly an advantage to use it at all.

- More left handed/footed attacks - As far as I can remember, most of the attacks in Lugaru 1 are right handed and right footed.

- Grappling - Wrestling with an enemy on the ground would bring a bit of variety to fights, especially when fighting on sloped areas.

- More slo-mo - Punching an enemy in the face and sending him flying in slo-mo looks so cool. Enough said.

- Actual conversations - I found the animal noises with subtitles to be rather outdated. Audio for conversations immerses you more in the game. Some yells/barks when strong attacks are performed would be nice as well. In general, I think the sound should be improved in both realism and variety.

- Variety of body types - Different heights, weights, and muscle builds for different characters. You could even have characters muscle mass increase and fat decrase the more they run and fight.

Lastly I think everyone would love ... a beta version!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:58 pm

marmorek wrote:- Fewer sword disarms - It's so easy for an enemy to disarm your sword that it's hardly an advantage to use it at all.
I agree with that. Sword disarms were way too easy for the enemy to perform, so that even if you and the enemy had a swordfight, and you knocked his sword away, there's a 90% chance your next swipe will be countered and you'll lose your sword anyway.

It was very off-putting and I then found myself only used the flip-over-enemy-and-stab-them-in-the-back move with the swords.

Also, dodging bo-staff swipes was too easy, because Turner did it automatically. I don't think you even needed to press anything, and Turner would just keep backing away from and dodging the staff swipes himself.
- Variety of body types - Different heights, weights, and muscle builds for different characters. You could even have characters muscle mass increase and fat decrase the more they run and fight.
OR we could make a game called Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas! :D

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:50 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:OR we could make a game called Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas! :D
That's what I forgot - cars!

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:23 am

Are they going to Add Metal Armor?
Metal armor could have Different Designs and Insignias Carved into it.
Maybe with the armor the actual Thickness of the Armor is the capability of how deep of cuts are Resisted.

Eg: a knife is Stabbed into Turner, it is 4.1 inches long.
Turner was Lucky to remember to wear his newly Crafted plate mail armor. the Plate mail is made of hardened and tempered German Stainless Steal and about 2 inches thick. how ever the Knife is made of Bronze. it manages to get though the armor but not enough to hit a major organ lets say it gets about 2.3 inches because the armor slowed it down a bit but it still got him .3 of an inch. so its not that bad. it would take a long time for him to bleed to death.

oh yea. will blood clot in the game or STOP bleeding after a while?

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:08 am

lol stainless steel armor....2" thick.... I don't think turner will be moving much...

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:31 am

zatoichi wrote:lol stainless steel armor....2" thick.... I don't think turner will be moving much...
True, but what the hey, he is a Possible Mutant Bunny, what do you expect? and anyway.. its not Stainless steal, its German hardened and Tempered Stainless Steal

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:40 pm

Colicedus wrote:German Stainless Steal (steel)
HOLY CRAP! I WANT GERMAN BUNNIES!

Inches? Centimeters perhaps?

What would be neat is if it had a system in Red Orchestra that reflects certain things. If you shot a tank with an SP shell and it hit it at a bad angle it would just bounce off. So, if you tried to stab someone with a knife who was wearing armor, not only are you a complete moron, but the knife might just not penetrate, or would slide away if it was at a bad angle.

In the situation of heavily armored knight, use a flanged mace/morning star.