Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:46 pm

MacWiggy wrote:"All cutscenes will be rendered in game. Cinematics are so 1999."

Want to know what else is from 1999? The G3 iBook. In case you haven't noticed, lots of people in these forums still use old computers. And anyone whose played Diablo 2 can tell you that Videos don't "Glitch up"
Non sequitur? Seriously, nothing I said had anything to do with this.

Good luck playing Lugaru 2 on your G3 iBook, by the way.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:06 pm

Oh, snap! Take THAT! Sorry, I got caught up in the moment.

NickD

Post by NickD » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:34 am

I think that you should be able to all of a sudden whip out an electric piano and jam your ass off. Or, you can start dancing. Or, OH OH! There should be some crazy ass move where you press tons of random buttons and doubble click the mouse. After that you slowly levetate with a giant electricity ball around you then all of a sudden.......... KABOOM!!!! You blow the crap out of everybody... wait... shit I was going to use that for my game :oops: . Oh yah. Something I need you ask you guys. Does anyone still have a working Black Shades game on their system? The downloadable one doesn't work on my machine. Does it work on yours?

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:12 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:I think the aiming system in Mount And Blade is perfect. Sufficiently hard to hit a target, rewarding when you get a good shot. I think they got it just right. If there was a ranged weapon you had to aim in Lugaru 2, I would prefer that aiming system to any other.
Yeah, that's a good aiming system for mount&blade, but it's too slow and random like for a fast action rpg. I like how it makes your aim worse if you hold it steady for a long time (meaning you can't just tease the guy around a bunch, you have to let it go within 2 seconds), and the usual stuff that goes with moving around and shooting. It covers the essentials pretty well, I would just like it if it had more "iron sight" stuff added to it. Instead of having a perfectly stable bow in first person mode, that fires a shot depending on your skill. I'd rather have it more action like, like Blackshades where the arrow could go where it was pointing to in relation to the string. It could still have the effects of Mount&blade so it would wobble around when you strain to keep it back a long time, or sway back and forth when you move. That way, it would require realistic aiming that made sense, and not so much "what the hell! How did I miss that guy?? My cursor was freaken on him!" Mount&Blade pretty much requires you to use the crosshairs in first person, I'd rather it didn't for Lugaru.

It's freaken hard to shoot moving people in that game (I love how it gives you more points depending on the difficulty of the shot), even a crossbow man who bends over to reload is easy to miss. But again, all the range weapons in these games [wolfire] have been made to work right. Bullets are shot right through the barrel and aimed exactly at the sights, the knife is thrown perfectly in relation to the opponent's speed but can easily be juked by a roll or an arching cartwheel. It would be hella hard for the archer if he started missing for no reason of his own other than, "he rolled a 6 so the arrow went off from the center of the crosshair by 4 feet. Now watch as the other rabbit quickly catches up to him and bunny kicks him into a tree :) "

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:58 am

"There should be some crazy ass move where you press tons of random buttons and doubble click the mouse. After that you slowly levetate with a giant electricity ball around you then all of a sudden.......... KABOOM!!!! You blow the crap out of everybody...

But that was what we loved about Lugaru, it doesn't have a bunch of stupid key combinations. Maybe you'd have more fun playing Typing Tutor. :!:

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:55 am

MacWiggy wrote:"There should be some crazy ass move where you press tons of random buttons and doubble click the mouse. After that you slowly levetate with a giant electricity ball around you then all of a sudden.......... KABOOM!!!! You blow the crap out of everybody...

But that was what we loved about Lugaru, it doesn't have a bunch of stupid key combinations. Maybe you'd have more fun playing Typing Tutor. :!:
Lack of sense of humor can be bad for your health, by the way.

I don't think Lugaru should have any sort of iron sights, since it's a third person game...

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:45 pm

Well Zelda used first person aiming and that turned out ok (although it's hard to tell with zelda since all you shot were puzzles, eyeballs, and in rupee shooting parlor games).

But to use realistic aiming changes games from rpg to action (Oblivion and mount and blade are RPG games, shooting is good in those games, since combat is much slower and skill point based anyways). Iron sights makes it so pretty much all the skill in shooting is left to the player instead of how good his character is (though you can get way too accurate if you leave all the skill in the player, not sure if that's bad or not since it'd probably be hella hard anyways trying to shoot people in Lugaru). Plus, it could be fun to switch the view to first person, most third person games have this option and with a bow, this would be a good excuse.

Then again, using a crosshair is way more flexible and makes the game playable in both third and first person views. It also means there won't be any dissorienting effects (though I don't remember any in Zelda), when using the bow kept in third person as well.

NickD

Post by NickD » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:00 pm

Ok, fine. Maybe I was a little too much on the KABOOM!!!! move :P , but it's still an awesome idea for MY game. I think that the game should have a little more action packed moves in them. like the techniques. There's not enough of them :x ! I take kuk sool won and the techniques are awesome :D . HEY DAVID YOU SHOULD CHECK THIES OUT: http://www.kuksoolwon.com/Merchant2/mer ... de=BOOKS01
If you want the black belt code, just ask me ; )
edit: Too bad it's like.... 100 bucks :( . I know. It's hell of retarted.

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:55 pm

What's that for? David can make his own form of matial arts in his game >:D

"Grasshopper, you must hold forward while clicking to do a spin kick!"

I guess you're right about that first person thing. I don't want to see any crosshairs, we'll have to get used to it Red Orchestra style...

NickD

Post by NickD » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:10 pm

yah. sure. whatever... there should just be a lot more moves. You should be able to switch through different styles of karate. more moves! Thank you! Your too kind! SHUT UUUPP!

NickD

Post by NickD » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:37 pm

Oh! And I have a great idea. David should hire somebody to make his game into a PS2 game! that would be so awesome. I'd get it the first day it came out. And that Idea way back about the pointless acrobats would be awesome. like if you jummp off a fairly high tower or something, then you do a double backflip 720! And when you do a back flip on ground you can turn 180 and run the opposite way. :D or there could be a move where you do the wind mill, head spin... OH! How 'bout the sprinkler!? 8) that would be cooler than awesome.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:06 pm

Nonononono... NOT PS2 or any other console of the kind, come on.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:25 pm

The reason it wouldn't come out for Xbox 360 is that developer tools are hard to get (and probably require a publisher with tons of money to sponsor you). But I think it would be hella sick if this game were to come out on consoles. I'm guessing It would just be really expensive though, you'd have to get lots and lots of sales with practically no marketing ads other than from game review sites. But I think beat-em ups do really well on consoles, it's because of the shoulder buttons and analog sticks. Lugaru would probably be alot easier [to control] on a console, especially with the new movement system.

...I wish I could play Lugaru 2 on a next-gen console.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:53 pm

It's a possibility... I'm about to go to a game publishing session at WWDC so maybe I'll get more specifics on what exactly you need to do to go mainstream.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:52 pm

Jeez, Zantalos, you're a real relentless motherfudger when it comes to posting, aren't you?

I don't see what the problem is with the crosshair. People playing the game are hardly going to be excellent archers, so taking away any crosshair or something to aim with would pretty much make me completely bollocks with a bow.

And what is iron sights?

About whether or not Lugaru 2 would work as a console game, I doubt it would as the games have not received sufficient acclaim to be prepared for a switch to the mainstream. That'd be my guess, anyway, but what do I know anyway? I may be wrong.