Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
TurtleKing

Re: Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Post by TurtleKing » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:42 pm

Krabman318 wrote:
TurtleKing wrote: ...as the target is working as a brake cushion stopping the momentum.
When you throw a rabbit at a rabbit, unless the second one catches the thrown guy, both will receive damage.
And since player 2 is thrown with a spinning movement, he won´t really have a chance to use Leg Cannon and will just crash into the enemy.
Realistic physics are an important part of the game.
I agree on that L4D thing, but throwing your friend onto a zombie and having him help you kill it are two different things.
Take a look at death spiral move, (ice skating http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_spir ... e_skating)) this is what I hand in mind, with the exception that the 2nd person would be thrown with enough timing to properly adjust into a leg cannon. You wouldn't try a leg cannon on a wolf when he is very close to you as this will most likely (at least for me) either turn into a roundhouse-kick or he will be able to counter it very quickly. Even if this is too difficult to perform in terms of physics, then how about just a spinning kick? Basically, Player 1 holds on to Player 2 and spins him like the death spiral till the enemy or target is kicked (possibly in the face since a leg sweep would be kind of lame).

But if we are taking about being realistic in this game, there are a couple of things that need to be fixed. For example, can a rabbit really block a wolf attack if he suppose to be 2x stronger and faster? In my opinion, he should dodge and strike, not block. I think it makes more sense if blocking is left for wolves or tougher races like bears or something and make them slower than rabbits. in reality, a wolf or any other member of the wild dog side has to sneak close enough to a rabbit if he wants a decent chance of catching it. Otherwise, the rabbit will most likely outrun the wolf.

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:44 am

How about having a rabbit fall down when he blocks a wolfs attack so the rabbit can only roll out of the way to avoid the next blow?

TurtleKing

Post by TurtleKing » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Not really necessary, all I am saying is that the rabbit should have a different martial-arts method to follow. In other words, the automatic reversal for the rabbit should be to dodge and hit. For example, if I were to throw a punch at you, you would dodge it and hit me somewhere else (preferably not in the private sector :( ). I am pretty sure there is probably a martial-art which follows this principle, but with so many types out there, it would take a while to research them and find which ones have this principle. Basically, like if Batman were fighting Bane or some huge boss, I am pretty certain batman wouldn't block his attacks, but instead dodge it and strike, otherwise its "bye-bye batsy" as the joker would say. :lol:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 pm

TurtleKing wrote:Not really necessary, all I am saying is that the rabbit should have a different martial-arts method to follow. In other words, the automatic reversal for the rabbit should be to dodge and hit. For example, if I were to throw a punch at you, you would dodge it and hit me somewhere else (preferably not in the private sector :( ). I am pretty sure there is probably a martial-art which follows this principle, but with so many types out there, it would take a while to research them and find which ones have this principle. Basically, like if Batman were fighting Bane or some huge boss, I am pretty certain batman wouldn't block his attacks, but instead dodge it and strike, otherwise its "bye-bye batsy" as the joker would say. :lol:
In most martial arts, the preferred method of defense is the dodge. Even when you drop out the styles where the preferred action after the dodge is a punch (instead of, say, a throw, a kick, a handstand or a 100 m run), that leaves a long list of styles. Boxing would be a good start. If you find any good video examples, feel free to post them to the martial art video reference thread.

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 am

You could use blocking and falling over if the reversal isn´t timed well, but still in time, like a last-ditch defense.

TurtleKing

Post by TurtleKing » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Krabman318 wrote:You could use blocking and falling over if the reversal isn´t timed well, but still in time, like a last-ditch defense.
What exactly is the purpose of this again? I am a bit confused. do you mean like a side effect for not using reversal on time? If thats the case, then why not let the target just get hit by the combo? I don't think a reversal could not be on time but still be in time. You either dodge or you get hit by the move seems more simple. I think your idea would make the game a little bit complicated for the average user to add a second reversal in case the 1st one is delayed. I am using Batman: Arkham Asylum to help me picture these ideas of mine which is similar to lugaru with the exception that batman has gadgets he can use with combos to maximize the effectiveness and durability.

Now if you mean a reversal to a reversal then thats another story I have very little knowledge on. :oops:

Edit: By the way, have the developers taken a look at this thread, I read some interesting ideas that probably wouldn't be to complicated to include in the game.

Sleepy Raccoon

Re: Overgrowth - Need a raccoon!

Post by Sleepy Raccoon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:17 pm

If a raccoon character was added to this game I would be the happiest person in the universe. I would officially retire to; "The Home for the Fully Content" ,and live the rest of my life laughing hysterically like a madman... PLEASE make a raccoon!

Hellii

Post by Hellii » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Sleepy Raccoon wrote:If a raccoon character was added to this game I would be the happiest person in the universe. I would officially retire to; "The Home for the Fully Content" ,and live the rest of my life laughing hysterically like a madman... PLEASE make a raccoon!
This so much. Oh, make this happen!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Sleepy Raccoon wrote:If a raccoon character was added to this game I would be the happiest person in the universe. I would officially retire to; "The Home for the Fully Content" ,and live the rest of my life laughing hysterically like a madman... PLEASE make a raccoon!
There's pretty much no chance of them being added as official races. Them being added as a fan-made race is viable. One fan, Xissburg, did an awesome concept art picture of a raccoon.He got featured on the blog!

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/02/Overgro ... -xiss-burg

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:25 am

There will undoubtedly be many fan-made races for Overgrowth, and while they wouldn't fit at all in the main story of Overgrowth, it would be interesting to see them in multiplayer. Every player with their own distinct race would be interesting to see.

Supposedly Overgrowth takes place on an island (A continent? Who knows how big it is?) so maybe on other islands/continents different species developed allowing people to make their own fan-made campaigns with different species seem more believable.

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:57 am

I found this on the wolfire blog, and now I can´t stop thinking about smashing enemies through walls in OG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k11IOr82 ... r_embedded
(Sorry for the link, but embedding the video doesn´t work) :oops:

Edit: Hah, finally got it to work!

kkaallllee

Post by kkaallllee » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:13 am

I have one idea, instead of go to next level with a boring loading screen or clickin to it in the main menu. Instead it cuold be like a road with some enemies or you get to riding a mount.

DMJY

Post by DMJY » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Basically deathmatch, but in an arena, the gladiators skills are measured somehow and they have to be at an equal level to fight each other. People can spectate by joining - and can immediately join the action if they are at an equal level with the gladiators in the arena.

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:17 am

kkaallllee wrote:I have one idea, instead of go to next level with a boring loading screen or clickin to it in the main menu. Instead it cuold be like a road with some enemies or you get to riding a mount.
What would the mount be? Since you're a rabbit I can't see you riding a horse.

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Kicktar wrote:
kkaallllee wrote:I have one idea, instead of go to next level with a boring loading screen or clickin to it in the main menu. Instead it cuold be like a road with some enemies or you get to riding a mount.
What would the mount be? Since you're a rabbit I can't see you riding a horse.
Some sort of large avian creature, perhaps.

I personally would prefer an interactive world map.