Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Kicktar

Re: Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Post by Kicktar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 pm

I think that would slow the game down too much to have a cinematic every time you sneak attack someone, Fidchell.

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Kicktar wrote:I think that would slow the game down too much to have a cinematic every time you sneak attack someone, Fidchell.
Yea, it doesn't have to be a cinematic though. Perhaps real-time! Just some neat one-hit special attack that stands out. :)

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 pm

I wanna see one where if you're holding a knife and you startle a guard, Turner gets to the guard's front, rams the knife below the bottom of the rib cage and then tilts it up and into the chest cavity. Because the knife isn't quite long enough, he has to shove his hand inside his opponent's body to get the blade all the way into the heart or lungs. Yeah, that'd be sweet. Or maybe he just sticks his other hand in too, and pulls out the heart. That'd be equally awesome.
I also want to see kicks to kneecaps so that the kneecap breaks or slips outta place and the leg bends the wrong direction. Those should be nice and noisy and would startle nearby guards, unlike in Deus Ex where the guards appear to be deaf to all grunts, gurgles, thumps, sliding blades, cracks, breaks and fleshy punctures. Who'da thunk it?

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Korban3 wrote:I wanna see one where if you're holding a knife and you startle a guard, Turner gets to the guard's front, rams the knife below the bottom of the rib cage and then tilts it up and into the chest cavity. Because the knife isn't quite long enough, he has to shove his hand inside his opponent's body to get the blade all the way into the heart or lungs. Yeah, that'd be sweet. Or maybe he just sticks his other hand in too, and pulls out the heart. That'd be equally awesome.
I also want to see kicks to kneecaps so that the kneecap breaks or slips outta place and the leg bends the wrong direction. Those should be nice and noisy and would startle nearby guards, unlike in Deus Ex where the guards appear to be deaf to all grunts, gurgles, thumps, sliding blades, cracks, breaks and fleshy punctures. Who'da thunk it?
Things like that would be awesome. I personally think taking someone's internal organs out is a bit excessive though, unless it's some boss man that Turner's super pissed off at.

I do wonder if we're going to play the main dog character we saw in the beginning of the Overgrowth comic?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 am

Hmm, I dunno about it. I wouldn't mind seeing Turner get pissed more often than bosses :twisted:
Do you mean Janner or Corpse? They're both kind of potential player characters. Either way, I doubt it. If co-op or other multiplayer is implemented, I wouldn't be surprised to see popular characters usable or maybe even uploading your own characters for use. But the main game is linear and Turner is the main character. But maybe we'll see a few of the comic characters along the way. I'm not sure if the comic parallels Turner's story, is intertwined, or is just a story that depicts what we'll see in the Overgrowth universe. I'd love to see Janner pop up in OG, but have him be like 20-30 years older now. Then the comic could be an unlockable that you get for helping Janner get his groceries or something because he sits you down and tells you his adventures and tales afterwards. :lol: That'd be a cool thing to see, just for the lulz.

CaptainExplosion

Post by CaptainExplosion » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:46 am

I think the rabbit jumping animation is a bit unnatural-looking, and something like a slow mid-air run would be better as oppsoed to a stiff pose.

Just an idea

rhazielz

Post by rhazielz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:54 am

this game would be more awesome if it had

weapon stances for swords like high,low,generic and draw stances (draw stance is when character draws sword from a sheathed position with one or multiple fluid motions to attack then sheaths it again) would be awesome for this game. like way of the samurai 3

A system for cinematic fights like bujingai .cause this games fighting is suppose to be cinematic.

and a dynamic blocking system like kensei sacred fist, but better where the more you block/evade the more fatigued you get then your guard fails unless you go on the offensive

[YouTube][/YouTube]

dont know how to embbed video properly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUr-r4ef ... re=related
Last edited by rhazielz on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

rhazielz

Post by rhazielz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:27 am

got it

rhazielz

Post by rhazielz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:49 am

good idea race to the top of a high area grab a ninja glide tool, flag, dead flying fox carcass strap on and pray.

aerial glide and stealth kills 2:00
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-1 ... o-2/721252

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:53 pm

I think it'd be awesome if a hard hit manages to wind a foe for a while, giving you an opportunity to pull off a lethal finishing move.

thanger2

Post by thanger2 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Fidchell wrote:I think it'd be awesome if a hard hit manages to wind a foe for a while, giving you an opportunity to pull off a lethal finishing move.
You mean like a backstab or something, it would also be cool if you could cut off limbs

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:16 pm

thanger2 wrote:
Fidchell wrote:I think it'd be awesome if a hard hit manages to wind a foe for a while, giving you an opportunity to pull off a lethal finishing move.
You mean like a backstab or something, it would also be cool if you could cut off limbs
I think that dismemberment will find its way into the game one day. :)

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:45 pm

Dismemberment's a lot of work, and there's two recent threads all about it, but I don't know if that's how far David wants to go with the gore. I know that OG is not intended to be a cartoony or childish game, but I just don't know where it is at on the Gore-ometer.
I'd like dismemberment, but only if it doesn't detract from actual game features. If developing dismemberment takes time from working on the AI or something, then I'd rather it didn't get done.

daveestanley

Post by daveestanley » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:18 am

Higher Jumps, Wallrun should give more distance and height, unlike the simple one that basically works like a normal jump.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:29 am

I'm not sure higher jumps will be high on the priority list since it's about a 2 or 3 -line code change. The wallrun is meant to be slightly realistic so I think that's why David has made it not go higher. It works pretty well as is, and I've never seen the need for a farther wallrun, except on challenging custom levels.