Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Ninevene

Re: Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Post by Ninevene » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:38 pm

there should be a seperate mode from the story with multiplayer that has you create a rabbit, rat, dog, wolf, or other animal being avatar with its own clothes skin colors piercings and many customization options.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:29 pm

I wouldn't mind even just a little customization for multiplayer that isn't co-op. It'd be pretty boring and awkward if there were 5 Turners running around.

Jess887cp

Post by Jess887cp » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:46 am

New member here, I didn't bother to read through all of that, but I do have some suggestions.

Bows! Not really in the style of this game, not at all, but still something that could be fun to have.

Multiple fighting styles! Bun-Fu is well and all, but other fighting styles would be nice. Selecting the styles from a menu, or learning/unlocking the moves through campaign play as you encounter other people. Cats have rapiers, so it would stand to reason that they would fight differently than dogs.

EDIT: Oh dear, this is a horribly bad necro, isn't it. I thought it was a sticky based on the title. Uh, I'll be on my way.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:34 am

Haha, no worries. Bows are one of the most commonly requested things, personally I'd prefer the devs to focus on throwing weapons instead of missile weapons. It's less safe, and easily leads into melee.

sign1000

Post by sign1000 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:34 pm

What if each animal has a different fighting style, not just for weapons, but also for hand-hand combat? (for instance, the rats/mice would have karate, the rabbit bun-jitsu, the wolves can have kung-fu, etc)

xzener

Overgrowth/Lugaru 2 gameplay ideas

Post by xzener » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:24 am

I think Overgrowth could use some awesome new mechanics: swimming, sharks, (from the comic, and they could be useful for armor) lock on camera...? and a optional dramatic camera for epic kills (like auto-slow motion on a skill kill), Finishing moves (like a stab to the torso, head, basically it'd be cool to see Turner do some pretty brutal finishers instead of the enemy just falling over, and by brutal finishers, I don't mean decapitation and gibs, I want it to be brutal, but not TOO brutal. Finish Him!) :twisted:

xzener

Re:

Post by xzener » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:30 am

Yeah, I think clothing would be amazing, I liked Lugaru's Turner, but I wanted to give him more personality than "shirtless man-rabbit out for revenge." Armor would be a cool outfit, maybe some hats. :D

Jacktheawesome

Re: Re:

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:09 am

xzener wrote:Yeah, I think clothing would be amazing, I liked Lugaru's Turner, but I wanted to give him more personality than "shirtless man-rabbit out for revenge." Armor would be a cool outfit, maybe some hats. :D

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Overgrowth updateables pt.1 & 2
every idea so far
Pt.3 in progress

Jarederaj

Post by Jarederaj » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 pm

I think dismemberment would be pretty cool. Also, death from blood loss would add realism.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:03 am

Jarederaj wrote:I think dismemberment would be pretty cool. Also, death from blood loss would add realism.
Dismemberment might be difficult, and when there was an unofficial poll to see what people thought, about 30% of people wanted newfeatures rather than dismemberment. Majority did like the idea of dismemberment, though.

Lugaru had bleeding damage. I don't remember if OG has it. It can be annoying, because if you don't realize you're bleeding you feel as if you just die randomly and get annoyed.

Darkwolfdemon

Post by Darkwolfdemon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:27 am

I know it’s an action game but I don’t know what else would be in it. ^^’

Maybe a health system where a character gets fracture/bleeding wounds/whatever that weaken a character and would need bandages and splints to fix.

Money and buying and selling weapons/armor/stuff in markets and towns.

If the game can handle it, battlefield simulator? Like spawn x amount of rabbits with weapons and y amount of wolves and fight to the death.

Jumping attack/attacks that can be done in the air or while landing.

More combat techniques. Like karate, boxing, etc

Training arena to teach new players and hone skills for experienced people.

A partner that could follow you and help you when you are fighting.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:12 am

Quite a bit of that already exists, actaully.

The characters do loose health from bleeding. OG has two 'health bars'. Temporary damage is caused by blunt impacts while permanent damage is caused by sharps and heavy blunt trauma. Temporary health regenerates, but can never regenerate higher than your permanent health. It doesn't cover bones breaking or actual blood volumes, but it does a good job estimating the effects of impacts. No bandages as of yet though. I doubt we'll see them, since OG is primarily going to be level based. I imagine Turner's state will be reset after most levels are completed.

You can simulate battlefields yourself, with the level editor. The engine does just fine, the limiting factor is your PC's power. You can spawn whatever actors you want, assign teams and let events unfold.
[+] Air attack and arena
Extra combat techniques are simply compilations of attack animations. There are already a few mods that include new attacks. The Tengu is the first to come to mind.

I believe David has partner AI in the plans somewhere, but I could be wrong. There is a mod someone was working on for it though.

The only one that isn't really there is the trading thing. Because OG is level based, there is no market anywhere and the ability to purchase really good weapons before a certain level could break the David and Aubrey's ability to construct well-balanced levels.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:43 am

Buying could work for arena - win, buy stuff, win more buy more etc.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:16 am

Not too bad, but it would depend on the story behind the arena. If the fighters are all gladiator-like slaves, then they would have neither money nor the freedom to purchase gear.

You could have each fighter paired with a sponsor, ala Hunger Games, who would go out and purchase gear for them, betting on the fight's outcome to earn that cash. Might be a neat feature.