Suggestions from a young french newcomer :)

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
wolfseven

Suggestions from a young french newcomer :)

Post by wolfseven » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi, I'm the newbie-frenchie teenager guy. ^^ (So again, sorry for my english if I do mistakes.)

May I share my ideas with you ?

I saw that there will be multiple races in overgrowth.
But will they be all playable ?
If the answer is yes, here's my proposition :

Each race would have a bonus ability, a favourite weapon (that they would use better than the other races, always with bonus dammages AND special actions), and would have different characteristics

The characteristics would be :
-Running speed : Very Slow (1)/Slow (2) / Average (3) /Fast (4) / Very Fast (5)
-Jumping height : Very Low (1)/Low (2) / Average (3) /High (4) / Very High (5)
-Attack power : Very Low (1)/Low (2) / Average (3) / Strong (4) / Very Strong (5)
- Attack speed : Very Slow (1)/Slow (2) / Average (3) /Fast (4) / Very Fast (5)
-Stamina : Very Low (1)/Low (2) / Average (3) /Good (4) / Very Good (5)

Each race would be able to reach an amount of (18) total points, in order to balance them.

(I know, the way I'm expressing myself is probably confused, but you're gonna get it.)

Examples :

• Rabitts :
- Favourite Weapon : Swords : They would be really hard to disarm when using them, and able to use them as easily as knives,(Like for throwing them or using a dual wielding).
- Special ability : Even if they would not be really good at resisting to damages, this would be balanced by an incredible recovery speed, and also an ability to recover from weapon's wounds (That habitualy do definitive dammages.)
- Characteristics : Running speed : Very Fast / Jumping height : Very High / Attack power : Average / Attack speed : Fast / Stamina : Very low.

• Wolves :
- Favourite weapon : Axes (If you implement them, obviously). : They would do bigger damages with axes (Wich I consider already as a heavy weapon) and would be able to have some kind of "blocking stance" (Like, you hold a key and it will parry the attack, instead of needing to click just at the right moment.)
- Special ability : when they punch, the ennemy bleeds even if there is no weapon (Because of the claws)
- Characteristics : Runing speed : Fast / Jumping height : Low / Attack power : Very Strong / Attack speed : average / Stamina : Good.

• Cats :
- Favourite Weapon : Fist Weapons (Like some kind of claws (Makes me think pf Wolverine :lol: ) or even ninja's "saï" (If you don't know what a saÏ is, there's a link http://www.katana-wakizashi-tanto-fr.com/sai.jpg ) ) (And AGAIN that's if you implement them :D ) :
- Special ability : The cats could be able to run in "animal style" without doing any noise, and to do silent jumps when flipping before the collision.
- Characteristics : Running speed : Fast / Jumping height : High / Attack power : Average / Attack speed : Very Fast / Stamina : Low .

• Rats :
- Favourite Weapon : Knives : They would be able to trhow both of the two carried knives at the same time, at two different targets (if there is more than one in range), or both a one target (To be quite sure at least one of them hits the target), with a little longer shot range, and a much better precision. And they could do it immeditaly without drawing the knives, and even, while running.
- Special ability : Because of their habitude of being chased, the rats have develloped instictive defense reflexes : they would have something like 10% of chances to execute an automatic reversal when attacked.
- Characteristics : Running speed : Average / Jumping height : Average / Attack power : Strong / Attack speed : Fast / Stamina : Good .

• Dogs :
- Favourite Weapon : Polearms/Staves : When using a Polearm/staff, the dogs would be albe tu pull ennemies much further than with other weapons, and will increase a lot the chances of disarming the ennmy.- Special ability : Dogs are obsessional fighters : When a dog would be close to death, his attack power and attack speed would increase sensitivly until they die or recovery from their wounds.
- Characteristics : Running speed : Fast / Jumping height : Average / Attack power : Average / Attack speed : Average / Stamina : Very Good.

Hope you like this. It took me a lot of time to write all that stuff in English, while trying to be understandable.

Of course, I inspired my self of RPG's, but I think a RPG side in the game would make it better. Even if statistics and numbers should never distract you from the main thing : FIGHTING !

ps : DOT not include a life bar please, the fact that the player has to estimate taken damages is so cool to me !

kehaar

Re: Suggestions from a young french newcomer :)

Post by kehaar » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Wow, good first post!

Actual ideas, and your English is fine. About ten miles, er, kilometres better than my French, although that's not saying all that much.

Thanks.

In the same vein, another variable could be climbing skills or speed, or moves. It would take a lot of play testing to get the balances right, but it would be fun if there was no clear advantage.

In Lugaru, you can change speed and strength and damage resistance, and there's no question that high speed beats low speed no matter who has the most power. In other words, you can take a fast character with very low attack strength and very low damage resistance, and you will still win pretty much every time. Same goes for fighting as a very strong, very tough, but even slightly slower character: it's very hard to beat the faster, weaker opponent. If you could lay a fist on him, you'd knock him over the horizon, but hitting him is sooooooo hard, or he reverses you.

wolfseven

Post by wolfseven » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 am

You're probably right. After all, this is a ninja game. ^^
Well, maybe the points in "attack speed" characteristic should be redistributed in the other ones.

I have another suggestion.
While I was playing Lugaru's Challenge mode, I saw the "Master of evasion" reward title. (Or something like that)
Maybe the game should include more of this stealth, silent, assassin aspect (Like for the bonus I proposed for the Cats.), but without being too much irrealistic (No Vanishing, no invisibility ect... The characters shouldn't fight like WOW Rogues. ^^)

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 am

Maybe you could spend skillpoints not just on general attributes (health, damage, etc.),
but on race-specific traits.
I´d like that, instead of skillpoints, you get to make decisions at some points of the game.
For example, as a rabbit you can choose between higher jumps and stronger kicks.

wolfseven

Post by wolfseven » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:00 pm

I like the last idea too !
It gets even more "RPG".

Now a question, probably asked many times : Will there be a multiplayer mode ?
I would say that a versus mode and a co-op mode would be both great ! (home LAN sessions, or maybe online ones if Wolfire can host them...?)
If those modes are going to be implemented, then you also need some pre-built character's templates, in order to choose instantly two playable and balanced characters, am I right ?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:23 pm

I expect Overgrowth to be an action game, so RPG elements feel out of place for me. Skill trees and points spent on various abilities take emphasis away from the main thing - tight controls and cool action. In Lugaru, when I almost made it but lost, I couldn't blame my wrong masteries or whatever - the fault was mine, my skills were lacking. If I felt irritated, the only way to beat the level was to get better, not to try out a different mastery tree. This worked because the levels could be completed in different ways - which enemy do I get first? Do I need a weapon, which enemies carry them? Can I separate those enemies, or can I kill the first before the second arrives?

I think those are more interesting problems than "should I get the 'I Jump Good' or the 'Stabbity' mastery?"

Cadrega

Post by Cadrega » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Endoperez wrote:I think those are more interesting problems than "should I get the 'I Jump Good' or the 'Stabbity' mastery?"
I agree with that, but only for the default campaign.
I sincerely hope that the game will be be flexible enough to allow someone to easily implement RPG mechanics. I would love to have a game with an action element like Lugaru (hence why I preordered), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see RPG mechanics and allowing users with the necessary know-how to have instruments that allow them to create mods that provide us users with non-linear campaings with RPG mechanics.
An "easy" way to do this would be to already have a framework present in the game, with just some basic mechanics in place (like maybe having dialogue trees that allow the player to discuss with some NPCs, without chaning the storyline too much (like being able to ask extra info and whatnot) and a basic shop system, giving the player a chance to stop and buy ammunition between missions (similar to the Thief series, where you don't have to buy extra stuff, but it can help)).

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:54 am

The scripting engine is so open that shops, inventory systems, ranged combat mechanics and all that kind of stuff should be doable. I haven't seen any in-game UI stuff in the scripts yet, but that's the only missing thing I think. Creating custom UIs should be doable (because they use HTML or something very much like it), I just don't know if the AngelScript scripts can directly interact with the UI stuff yet.

wolfseven

Post by wolfseven » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:36 pm

@kehaar

Just finished the whole game, challenges and campaign in max difficulty, and I guess you're actually totaly right, speed always wins versus strenght...

Alucard-666

Post by Alucard-666 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:41 pm

"Bonjour mon grand :D "

I hope the developer will make good choices :)

wolfseven

Post by wolfseven » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:58 pm

@Alucard 666 are you on the "Jeux-vidéos.com 15-18 forum" ?

Alucard-666

Post by Alucard-666 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:29 pm

wolfseven wrote:@Alucard 666 are you on the "Jeux-vidéos.com 15-18 forum" ?

Yep :)

wolfseven

Post by wolfseven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Spotted ton topic, et le lien qui parle de tes différents pseudos ^^

Alucard-666

Post by Alucard-666 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:45 pm

On va être clair, mes pseudos sont : PhysX_By_Nvidia et Totophe60, et je vois pas ce qu'est ton topic là. Tu as un ID Steam qu'on en reparle ? :shock:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/madara-666/home

Sinon go MP sur mon compte Totophe60 :D