Pre-order: Fresh perspective

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
SilentSouth

Pre-order: Fresh perspective

Post by SilentSouth » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:26 am

This thread is for the people who have somehow ran into overgrowth over the internet and made it to this site.

Before you all say, yes i know the developers have already made a thread like this, but i wanted to contribute as one of the happy buyers myself by giving my opinion.

I'ts hard to make a descision to buy a game that you know little of, it basically comes down to luck, because we all know what its like to waste money on a crappy game and your kicking yourself, another reason is that people are unsure if overgrowth will run on thier systems.

Reasons to buy: (From a buyers point of view)
.Although it is stated that we get access to the Alpha, some people would not really pay much attention to this as it is not the full game etc, but in fact, playing the Alpha is so much fun. Imagine basically working along side the developers to help improve the game and even throw your own suggestions out there which could indeed possibly be implemented. Joining in with the wonderful community to help build something from bottom up, and when its finished you will always have the satisfaction of knowing you had an input.

.At $29.95 (£18.00) it is quite a reasonable price to pay, because after playing this game you know instantly that it is going to be succsessful, so think of it as an investment as i can almost guarentee that this game will be going up in price when the full game is released. And not only will you be saving money in the long run but you will be fully supporting the developers, pre-ordering the game at this stage will ensure they get 100% of our money giving them a lot more motivation striving to perfect this work of art, as well as providing them with essential equiptment to get the job done quickly and efficiently.

.If i have managed to sway you thus far, but it now all boils down to whether your computer/laptop can handle it (bear in mind the game is no where near optimized) there is a thread designed recently to post your system specs on, and our wonderful wolfire community can help you on this.

.And last but not least buy it because i said so! if not for me, do it for whale man.

The whole purpose of this thread is to give people the impression from a non-developer, and the fact that wolfire do not ruthlessly advertise or plead for people to order this game shows that they are modest people and in my opinion deserve for this project to be a great success.

Thanks for reading.

Black_Stormy

Re: Pre-order: Fresh perspective

Post by Black_Stormy » Sun May 01, 2011 4:15 am

As much as that was a persuading monologue I'd like to add a few points if I may.

If you don't know whether or not you are going to enjoy the finished game, go get the free demo of lugaru, the game that Overgrowth is firmly based on. Lugaru was essentially the prototype for OG, made by an ambitious young David Rosen during one school holiday. Overgrowth is the product of several years of development on top of Lugaru, with professional artists and full time coding. So yes it is going to be far better.

No, the game is no where near finished yet and it won't be for a while. What we have right now is essentially a Gmod-esque sandbox game. There's not much physics play but there is an in depth easy to use editor in which you can spawn objects and NPCs and environment props to play in. You can test out the fighting system which, while it is not finished by a long shot, is already enough to support a fair few hours of messing around.

So that's from a gameplay point of view.

From a modding/developing point of view, what you get is a very pretty engine which is capable of most of the things that any other professional engine is (and some things that they aren't, the Source engine doesn't support object space normal maps out of the box, for starters). It is blissfully easy to import custom content into the game. With little to no documentation at all, and about two hours work, I imported a fully working custom model, a fully working custom animation and a fully working new material. Silverfish coded in my animation to work seamlessly with the engine in no time at all as well. The engine is a breeze to mod for. The alpha releases give you full capability to mod in your content, it's not just the game, it's the whole toolset. Keep in mind that it is still an alpha, which means each release has the potential to corrupt your files, mostly if they are scripts. None of my models have become corrupt so far, but there are no promises.

The engine itself is moddable to a point, using easy to understand scripts that some community members have taken the time to enter comments into for better clarity. If you have a bit of modding experience and there is a feature that you really want to have in the engine, the developers are active members of the community and are happy to talk to you about it. David is somewhat quiet but that's because he's working very hard at coding the game, but they respond to emails and there is almost always at least one member of the developing team on the IRC.

If you are a bit skeptical about the furry content of the game don't be. It is not meant as a furry game, the design direction of anthropomorphic animals was chosen from a clear cut desire to avoid the uncanny valley that games can suffer from, as well as other reasons. The community doesn't worry about furries and everyone tends to get along regardless. Don't be hatin.

From an indie developers angle, Wolfire have a proven track record of coming up with innovative ways to unify and encourage the indie game development scene. They make appearances at gaming industry events and are enthusiastic about their craft. They are also just damn nice dudes. If you want your cash to speak for you, Wolfire are definitely an indie company to get behind.

Ultimately it's your money and you'll do what you want. Wolfire are happy for you to wait until the game is properly released and ready before you take the plunge, but preorders keep the cupboard stocked full of 45cent noodles and coffee, which any indie developer knows is the key to any 24 hour, 365 day crunch session.

SilentSouth

Re: Pre-order: Fresh perspective

Post by SilentSouth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:41 am

Bumping for the new guys, and for anyone else who wants to input.