Female Characters

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Korban3

Re: Female Characters

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Ylvali's a lady?

Yes, breasts aren't the only way to do it, and sometimes aren't the best. Keeping the shoulders a little narrower would work, and I agree on a softer silhouette (Nailed it, KISS MY ASS ENLGLISH!). Maybe give the character a smoother line flow.
I'm not sure what will be happening for co-op campaign as far as the second player goes, since one is Turner and the other is...? I dunno, we'll find out I guess. But maybe, if multiplayer ever got in, there could be either a character customization setup or the ability to load in custom characters via an xml file. Not sure if that's a good idea, since the only way to moderate what characters are allowed is to allow them and check in-game, but it might do ok.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Aaugh, gifs on the forums. :( My eyes... my poor, poor eyes...

Any way, I find it interesting that you mentioned you could identify when playing AS a female, or AGAINST them.

It might be difficult to design an androgynous main character, or two versions of the main characters, but it would be easy to make enemies that use different graphics. For any and all games.

For example, in a small mobile phone game, you might go for a stylized Conan-The-Barbarian protagonist, and making a decently-animated near-naked barbarian once is hard enough already. Trying to make a second set of animations for a female barbarian that's just as iconic without being ridiculous would be challenging. Making enemy small fry in male and female varieties is easy, since they don't have to be iconic or anything, the differences can be smaller, and they can be based on the same set of simpler animations.

There actually isn't a reason not to make that already, but it would be more work, and it's easier to convince the producers about it if I can say it widens the target audience.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 am

Mwahaha. GIFs :twisted:
Or... we could just... you know... make our own characters. If we could figure out how to get custom animations made, then we could do a complete rehaul of the character setup and make female characters with a proper model and more appropriate animations. I guess I could do it, but I'm already too lazy as it is and don't do the work I should do. I spent today doing the gun mod update without a thought to the class assignment due in two days (which I'm no where near done, by the way :lol:). Besides, I want to revisit those otters before I do a single other character.
Which reminds me that I should totally revisit the mount character someday. I saw in learn_more's script dump that character's have a property "string char_path". That makes me think that it is Data/Characters/turner.xml for Turner etc etc. Does that mean that I could do, in a very explicit and static way, make a character that functions entirely differently from the others? Maybe just a little? It'd probably take forever to add an exception for it all over the place where a different skeleton and such cause errors, but I could try to write a custom script for it. Anyways, I will be able to do it someday and then too lazy to actually go and do it.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:50 am

I'm just talking in general. Since I'm studying game design, specifically graphics, and that's basically a graphic variation. I hadn't realized 1) how little variation there is in enemy types in this regard, or 2) that it might help females identify or feel slightly more comfortable with the game's world.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:41 am

Ah, I see.
I agree on both those points. I actually hadn't realized there were any female preorderers who were active on the forums. It's not usually obvious when there is, but it's great. I'm all for having Overgrowth be appealing to as many people as possible because I love to have a diverse group. It makes it more fun to mod as you get different sets of reactions.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 am

Korban3 wrote: ...silhouette (Nailed it, KISS MY ASS ENLGLISH!)
:lol:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:01 am

Korban3 wrote:I actually hadn't realized there were any female preorderers who were active on the forums.
Perhaps one of the reasons they don't advertise that fact is to avoid animated reaction gifs? :lol:

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 am

Damnit, Yivali, I said the exact same thing.

This discussion has been running in circles longer than this thread exists.
I think we need one of the devs to voice a conclusive opinion on the matter so it can be closed.
Again.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:35 am

:lol: I hate that god damn word. I spell it wrong so often.
Haha, GIFs. Ha. :D

Hm, maybe one of the devs could close it again. But then, it would be opened up. Again again. Later, by some other guys (or girl).

Karel

Post by Karel » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:20 pm

There were women in Lugaru, am I right?
At least one.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 pm

Uh yeah. I've only played the demo but there was Clover, Turner's wife Sarah and his daughter April. Were there any others that were outside the demo?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:58 pm

was clover a girl? I never noticed.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:46 pm

That's it in the original campaign. You always play as Turner, and the women are only victims that motivate him to fight.

I think Ancestral Tales is the only one with playable female characters: Rose, Turner's niece, and Claire, a fox and granddaughter of a retired female fighting master from Turner's old temple.(in the story-- in the game, Claire is a wolf model + animations with a modded fox skin). There are a few women and a couple of kid npc's along with 2 male pc's. One boss is a woman; she's a pretty nasty person and very fast.

Disclaimer: I made the campaign. It starts hard and gets harder, so not for beginners who get frustrated easily. Playing a wolf model & animation is addictive and stunningly overpowered in Lugaru, so I put her in some really hard fights right from the start. Some people have hated the platforming maps, but they are 5 out of 60 levels...

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:39 am

I'll have to get the full Lugaru purchase someday so I can try out the campaign and then the user campaigns.
On a side note, I found these while digging through Aubrey's dropbox! He's been adding stuff too, in the last few months that wasn't there before, I think.

These two show a good contrast in gender. The thief rabbit is pretty clearly, to me at least, female. She has slender limbs, narrow shoulders, and a more petite torso. Also, her shirt has that sort of strap thing going on, and it reminds me of a summer shirt that girls would wear.
The rabbit hiding from the wolves, however is more muscled and wide in the chest and has thicker limbs as well as a thicker neck.
Also, I'm gonna be so piss-shit sad if anything like the second picture happens in the game. I'm gonna be crying and crap because I got to watch some little rabbit children get ripped to shreds by wolves.
But Aubrey did a wonderful job getting the tension and fear across in the second pic I think, and they both do an excellent job of portraying gender and prowess.

Kolega

Post by Kolega » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:49 am

I cant belive some guys think that female characters are only for horny idiots. There would be a lot things improved such as storyline and character customization (cosmetic feature at least for multiplayer) if there were female characters. Female characters are today's standard in every game, because there cant be no woman world even if it was werewolf/werefox/wererabbit world. Doesnt make sense plus imagine Lugaru without female characters.