Female Characters

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Mizka

Re: Female Characters

Post by Mizka » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:51 pm

I would not mind... it makes the game more enjoyable for both sides femanon and men.

i't would be nice to choose the gender of your own character and edit it for some more specific details
like hair and stuff not bad idea at all.

also picture!---> Image
This fox looks like a girl to me nothing perverted. Huh? 0_o

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Cool pic. I know Turner is to be the main character, but maybe in multiplayer, we could customize with gender and such. That's what I'd imagine if multiplayer goes through. And yeah, it does look like a girl. A scary one, but nonetheless...

Zdzisiu

Post by Zdzisiu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:53 am

I do not understand this topic. Game Will not have female characters or what? Is this game is not moddable?

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Zdzisiu wrote:I do not understand this topic. Game Will not have female characters or what? Is this game is not moddable?
It will, the point of the topic is to, as I understand, help figure out the possible characteristics that will distinguish a male between a female in-game.

The problem I see in distinguishing male/female is that some races aren't a common part of our daily lives, and even if they are present, we aren't 'connected' to them in a personal level to actively distinguish one from another. In any way, aside from dogs and maybe cats, most can't be told apart reliably without checking their genitals.

I just noticed you pulled off some necromancy here, as well.

Kriegson

Post by Kriegson » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:18 pm

Thread necromancy isn't a bad thing if it's a decent subject for discussion imo.
As someone pointed out earlier, the design philosophy in female charr for guild wars two is a great example of how to easily differentiate gender without resorting to huge knockers to do it, though it may require a degree of creativity.

Slimmer waists, wider hips, generally more lithe and streamlined is a good way to portray feminine attributes without resorting to breasts.
Aside from the clothing, which is very obviously female, I think the narrow waist (easier to notice if you look at the curve of the cloth) goes a ways towards denoting her gender.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Kriegson wrote:Image
Aside from the clothing, which is very obviously female, I think the narrow waist (easier to notice if you look at the curve of the cloth) goes a ways towards denoting her gender.
That picture's clothing is rather androgynous looking to me, it seems to be heavily inspired by persian clothing, that a male could certainly be found wearing for sure. What gives me certainty that it's a female is the hips.
On your point about the waist, if you notice, some of the rabbit's art show males with rather slim physiques and waists as well.
Human males tend to have slimmer waists in comparison to females, actually, which is amplified by the often larger shoulders, as well. If I'm not mistaken, women burn fat layers more slowly simply because they'd need the nutrients and protection when bearing a child so they'd develop a thicker waist, while males tend to have more muscle and less fat in order to be properly fit for hunting and other physically intensive doings, developing a thinner waist¹.

¹ I did some research on this a while ago, though this was what I remembered from the top of my head, so I could be wrong in some accounts.

Karel

Post by Karel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:45 am

I think the real problem is, if they add female anthro animals, we can expect the whole furry fandom to come here.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:24 am

The only real changes we can make for male/female is bone structure. Waist size is not a distinctive gender trait.

Human-shape breasts are out of the question because:
1)
Karel wrote:we can expect the whole furry fandom to come here.
and
2) Animals type don't *have* such pronounced teats, apart from apes and cows, neither of which can be expected to appear in OG.

I agree that that (actually quite old) picture gives more of an androgynous feel than a female image, but truthfully, we're probably not going to be able to tell very easily anyway.
I mean, IRL, some humans can have trouble distinguishing genders of other humans on sight, let alone woodland animals' genders.

So I believe the solution is that the only features we should want in OG is at least the altered bone structure, perhaps clothing preferences (although that won't say much), and in-story behavioural quirks.
Knowing humans, we'd probably become experts at recognising the difference from a distance soon enough *anyway*, so let's at least keep it realistic and clean.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:33 am

Karel wrote:I think the real problem is, if they add female anthro animals, we can expect the whole furry fandom to come here.
If you ask me, that's irrelevant game-play wise, which is what I care about. I'm not one to judge other's tastes, likes and dislikes, and I expect them to respect mine as well.

Personally, I am into the Lore and believablebility of the Universe, females are a must if that is to be fulfilled, so are children, but given the acts of violence depicted in the game, that would be asking for far too much I suppose.
I hold games such as Mass Effect in high regards for the fact that their universe is very well developed, I would say the same for the Lord of the Rings universe, those are very well thought in details that other games/novels/movies/soonandsoforth overlook, it's simply amazing to me the amount of attention and effort put into them.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:07 pm

What's wrong with furries? You got me and that was just for the violence :lol:

If they entirely bypass breasts, then I think the next best way to teach the player how to distinguish gender would be cultural reference. Developing a culture first and subtly allowing the player to learn and observe it and then giving them a chance to apply what they've learned would be a cool way to ease them into gender differentiation. It also gives the devs an awesome reason to heavily develop the Overgrowth universe.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:28 pm

It's easy to tell males from females as long as they're wearing armor. Males have armor that protects the head, the chest, the pelvis, and usually also the neck, the arms and/or the legs. Some guys go without helmets or head protection though, like this dashing guy here.

Females have armor that protects the forehead, the shoulders or the foot, and sometimes also the arms and/or the legs. Some gals go without the forehead, foor or shoulder protection though.

Note that this only applies for gender, not sex, so you might find some seemingly male characters wearing female armor. Here's Plundor from He-Man, one of the most transgender-friendly cartoons of its time.

This post is very serious.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:15 pm

That's a cool picture of a woman crossdressing in non-female armor. It's almost as if she doesn't want to die. Here's a few more images like that.

They look really weird to my eye, but I guess I could get used to them. It kind of makes sense, in a weird way, that armor would be worn to protect against wounds. For some reason, this clip comes to mind.

This is another serious post. Very serious.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:39 am

Oh god, that whole bear video... Oh god.
"He's sensitive"
Bear pelt: I DON'T GIVE A SHIT!
:lol:

Endo, you mentioned the neck protection thing and I was all like "Oh hay, waitz! Teh Mareen Core has teh principle 2!"
EDIT: Distinguised Master Sergeant is distinguished. Srsly. I'm amazed the front of that jacket hasn't torn off from all those medals. I bet it's carbon nanotube reinforced or something.

The male dress blues have a high collar that is derived from the high leather collar worn during the American Revolution to protect against bayonets and other British bladed devilry! But the female dress blues lack said collar. Not sure if it's relevant, but it came to mind because armour is meant to protect against wounds.
The dress uniforms in the Marines are rather directly influenced by a past armour. And because most past armours were developed by non-affluent societies that didn't tolerate, nor could afford, waste and frivolry, any armours produced worked because the shit ones were never made again. Because they sucked. There are exceptions, but they aren't applicable to Overgrowth, I don't think. Unless, of course, you delve into that subject for means of an interesting story. I read somewhere on this site about the cat warrior who was too fast to have an even match, so he started doing some crazy ass drugs and is now some psycho or something. I'm sure that the story is only marginally similar to how I remembered it, but it sure is interesting and would allow for some awesome development of story and character variety that was unexplored in Lugaru.

I <3 Related Videos Bar: After rewatching that bear rug commercial, I watched this:
Ah, foreign countries. What would I do without your awesome commercials?
Anyone want some Panda cheese?

Karel

Post by Karel » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:32 am

Endoperez wrote:That's a cool picture of a woman crossdressing in non-female armor. It's almost as if she doesn't want to die. Here's a few more images like that.
Meh, most armors are okay, but they don't wear helmets and they keep their hair long/untied. It's an error.

More seriously, (no more furries arguements lol), here's what I think on the whole female in OG thing:

- First, even if the goal of the game isn't supposed to be realistic, it doesn't means we have to make it incoherent. In middle age, in most cultures, women were not really appreciated as warriors.
- However, we're talking about animals here. For some animals, the female is the dominant... and there could be some matriarch based systems, or female warriors, for some races - after all, nobody wants to fight with an angry female cat protecting her kittens (That's pretty much what my dog would say if she could talk! :D )
- Don't put boobs.