long range weapons

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Ragdollmaster

Re: long range weapons

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm speaking of European bows, sorry if I didn't elaborate. The technology is very different between the two nations and time periods- the Chinese were far more advanced in the medieval age, so it's only natural that they made strides in weaponry. I'm sure with modern technology that we could even further improve upon the idea of an automatic crossbow.
Turner will be dead before he get's within 50 yards, maybe, of his enemies
Well, not necessarily. Turner's very agile and could dodge arrows, and usually sneaks up on his enemies.
Actually, wouldn't crossbows be better for continuous combat? In a long combat, the archers tire and run out of arrows, so crossbowmen fare better than in e.g. a skirmish where they might get one volley off and that's it.
Crossbowmen would run out of arrows, too? And it depends, but usually it's the other way around- if you're talking about rapid, swift ambush, a crossbow would be more ideal, because you can load it ahead of time and then just pop up and fire- a longbow (or even a shortbow) requires time to prime and fire. It's still faster over time, but if a guy with a loaded crossbow popped up in front of an archer with a longbow, he'd get the shot off quicker.

That said I'm generally against the use of bows in the game, yeah, I was just saying "if they were put in, then this was done for them, I would be cool with it."

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:16 am

This is one of those times where the devs know what's best for OG.
Says it all.
Says it all.
Endo Coin.jpg (62.83 KiB) Viewed 5281 times

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:32 am

Dude you are a photo-manipulation god :lol:
That is so epic. There are so many uses for this picture!

EDIT: Here's mine:
Pokendo.jpg

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:01 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:Crossbowmen would run out of arrows, too? And it depends, but usually it's the other way around- if you're talking about rapid, swift ambush, a crossbow would be more ideal, because you can load it ahead of time and then just pop up and fire- a longbow (or even a shortbow) requires time to prime and fire. It's still faster over time, but if a guy with a loaded crossbow popped up in front of an archer with a longbow, he'd get the shot off quicker.
You wouldn't even have to pop up to fire a crossbow. Like modern guns, it could be short from a prone position, or kneeling down. Standing up to loose an arrow from a bow would be much slower.

That said, even if were a bowman ambushing a crossbowman, the ambusher still has an edge. Normal people can't aim precisely in the few moments between the ambusher appearing, and his arrow or bolt hitting or missing. If the ambusher's first missile hits, that's it, the other guy most probably won't be shooting back, regardless of his weapon. Even if it's just a flesh wound on, say, a leg, I imagine most people would go WTF JUST HAPPENED THERE'S AN ARROW IN MY LEG WHO WHAT WHERE OGOD MY PANTS ARE WET OH THANK GOODNESS IT'S JUST BLOOD WAIT OH SHIT IT'S BLOOD OGOD AN ARROW WHAT DO I DO?! instead of, say Where? There! Retaliate!

Outside of an ambush, though... archers could hit more often in the early fight, but the crossbowmen could keep going for longer. I'm also not sure, but I think quarrels might be easier to make since they're shorter than arrows, so there might be more quarrels for crossbowmen than arrows for archers.

Also, sheesh, I imagine I'll see that rabbit popping up a lot from now on... :x Not sure what to think of it.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:50 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:Dude you are a photo-manipulation god :lol:
That is so epic. There are so many uses for this picture!

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Nice on Jack.
I like the screenshot edit too. I'll have to put that character into OG someday. And yeah, it's gonna pop everywhere now.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Korban3 wrote:Nice on Jack.
I like the screenshot edit too. I'll have to put that character into OG someday. And yeah, it's gonna pop everywhere now.
I'm disappoint, son.

In hindsight, it does looks like a photoshop. The normals are wrong, once again, so the lighting gets weird.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:27 pm

:shock:
Wow. Do Want.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Skizzelz. Did you attach it to Turner as gear? One of my planned projects was to attach gear to characters.

last

Post by last » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Korban3 wrote:Skizzelz. Did you attach it to Turner as gear? One of my planned projects was to attach gear to characters.
It's a weapon that ataches to the head bone

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:53 pm

Beat me to it, that's how I was gonna add gear. Oh well one less project.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:05 pm

Have I mentioned yet that the offset is really screwed? And by screwed, I mean rotated 90, 270 and 75 degrees, and off of every axis.

If left at the origo, it appears at hip height, about 1/3 to 1/2 rabbit's heights to the right, and a bit front of the character.

I've got no idea if I screwed it up or what, but that's not how it's supposed to work! :D

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:24 pm

If your using blender, you may have move the vertices around in edit mode which doesn't move the origin. So if you start with a cube who's origin is center, and start working upwards the origin ends up lower down. Or you have to set the origin to match up with the player's origin, although that seems impractical from a programming standpoint. I dunno.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Nope, the object origin was lined up with the geometry. I didn't move it in the edit mode at all once I had finished the modeling. It's much harder to reset an object rotated in Edit mode than in Object mode, so I generally try to avoid that.

For comparison, swords and such should be at origin 0,0,0 , blade towards Y-axis, rotation and scale applied before exporting, and geometry positioned so that the part of the handle the weapon should be grabbed from is at origo as well. Pretty simple, as long as you remember the correct orientation before baking Object-space normals.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Hm. Maybe the engine just doesn't like attaching non-weapons to non-hands.