I still don't get it!. Looking forward to but worth it?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
joe10

I still don't get it!. Looking forward to but worth it?

Post by joe10 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 pm

First of all, hello everyone. This is my first post in this site and i would like to ask a couple of questions that had been in my mind ever since i finished watching every video on the wolfire youtube channel .

1- Is this game currently in an advanced stage of developement or are the videos on the youtube channel is the state the current progress? It had been 2 years and the amount of progress(based on what i have seen) is not pleasant to be honest(my opinion atleast). A detailed answer would be greatly appreciated.

2- Why the pre-orders? I mean this game is in the very very early stages and having pre-orders for this game is not rational. I understand that it helps the developers concentrate on the game and not seek other means to gain money, and being distracted from the current project, but what i really meant was what if something happens to the developers, who is going to compensate for everyone who has pre-ordered a not even half finished product?

3- 5 people are on the current project(amongst everyone who is contributing, somewhat), and after 2 years, there isn't much done. maybe hire more people to go at a faster speed? I don't mean rushing the game, but more work done in less time.

Please don't think i'mm a pessimist. I like what i have seen so far and if i didn't i wouldn't have watched every single you tube video. I'm so looking forward to this game, and I'm dying to get hands on the finished product. I played the lugaru demo and i hated it. The action is good but i just can't look past the graphics. That is why Overgrowth is number one on my watch list, because everything is upgraded(based on what i have seen).

m3nace

Re: I still don't get it!. Looking forward to but worth it?

Post by m3nace » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:26 pm

joe10 wrote:First of all, hello everyone. This is my first post in this site and i would like to ask a couple of questions that had been in my mind ever since i finished watching every video on the wolfire youtube channel .

1- Is this game currently in an advanced stage of developement or are the videos on the youtube channel is the state the current progress? It had been 2 years and the amount of progress(based on what i have seen) is not pleasant to be honest(my opinion atleast). A detailed answer would be greatly appreciated.

2- Why the pre-orders? I mean this game is in the very very early stages and having pre-orders for this game is not rational. I understand that it helps the developers concentrate on the game and not seek other means to gain money, and being distracted from the current project, but what i really meant was what if something happens to the developers, who is going to compensate for everyone who has pre-ordered a not even half finished product?

3- 5 people are on the current project(amongst everyone who is contributing, somewhat), and after 2 years, there isn't much done. maybe hire more people to go at a faster speed? I don't mean rushing the game, but more work done in less time.

Please don't think i'mm a pessimist. I like what i have seen so far and if i didn't i wouldn't have watched every single you tube video. I'm so looking forward to this game, and I'm dying to get hands on the finished product. I played the lugaru demo and i hated it. The action is good but i just can't look past the graphics. That is why Overgrowth is number one on my watch list, because everything is upgraded(based on what i have seen).
Check the newest videos on the blog. That's the current state of developement. I don't think you're being completely fair to the devs, the amount of progress since 2 years ago is in fact kinda huge for a company this small.

What are you exactly afraid is going to "happen" to the devs? You suppose they spontaneously combust ending up with everyone of us not getting our money's worth? The preordering is simple, without the preorders these guys wouldn't have made as much progress as they have, maybe they'd made a 10th or a 20th of the current progress.... And that's not exactly meeting your strict schedule now is it? Wolfire also has a full-return policy of your money but I doubt everyone will be going to give up this wonderful editor when they all spontaneously combust.

After 2 years there isn't much done? What the shit are you even talking about? Why are you even so eager? believe me when I say we're all eager to play the final product, but the devs should take all the time they can because we don't want this to be something half-finished, that's why we came to an indie company in the first place.
Hiring more people means more people to pay and less profit. What if the current stream of preordering money just fits within the budget of 5 hard-working people? 1 more and the price on the game would be upped (this is purely hypothetical).

To sum it up, I don't know how you suppose you'd finance an indie game company, when you want more people working on it, no preorderers for the alpha and you want it done very soon.

Bigger game companies are able to hire lots of people, only start doing preorders when the game is about to launch and ship the game soon because they have shitloads of money to start off with.
Wolfire is a small company and you're simply demanding too much of them.
(yes I consider you a pessimist... You hated lugaru? Couldn't look past the graphics?... Indie game virgin?)

MagmaDragoon

Post by MagmaDragoon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Lol, shitloads of money. I'll love this statement.
joe10 wrote:First of all, hello everyone. This is my first post in this site and i would like to ask a couple of questions that had been in my mind ever since i finished watching every video on the wolfire youtube channel.
Hello, and welcome. It's nice to see that YouTube it's helping attracting new potential customers as well.
joe10 wrote: 1- Is this game currently in an advanced stage of developement or are the videos on the youtube channel is the state the current progress? It had been 2 years and the amount of progress(based on what i have seen) is not pleasant to be honest(my opinion atleast). A detailed answer would be greatly appreciated.
Wolfire is making the videos to show the current progress of the game. I cannot give you a very detailed answer, since I'm not in the team, but it's a fact that the videos show the current state of progress. As a Preorderer, I know it because I can grab the Alphas and play them.
I can assure you that there have been plenty of progress - Mac support is a good example. And the engine too they are making it's going to be a great deal in the future, so why rush it? Wolfire is not a big company, they can accomplish a lot of things with a well-made engine, as well from the game/s. And they are five guys, remember.
joe10 wrote: 2- Why the pre-orders? I mean this game is in the very very early stages and having pre-orders for this game is not rational. I understand that it helps the developers concentrate on the game and not seek other means to gain money, and being distracted from the current project, but what i really meant was what if something happens to the developers, who is going to compensate for everyone who has pre-ordered a not even half finished product?
Well, preorders mainly because if you know Wolfire there is a high percent that you are here because you played and/or loved Lugaru... So many people were pretty secure to buy the sequel and show support to an Indie company they respect already. Also money always help; if I remember correctly, David (programmer and co-founder) bought a new computer, for example. Check this link for more, please.
http://blog.wolfire.com/2008/12/where-a ... ers-going/
And probably you weren't here when the preordering started, but many people (including me) bought two games at the price of one (the other is Natural Selection 2 from Unknown Worlds, another indie company) AND they get Overgrowth for all the platforms. Nice deal if you ask me.

And don't warry about your money. Jeff stated more than one time that if something happen they will give they money back. Yes, these are just words, you can belive them or not. I personally do, but again, if you are a preorderer you probably don't want they money back. If fact, I do not.
Check the FAQs about why you should preorder - you'll understand why.
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/02/overgrowth-faq/#q9
(Still no clue? Well, my money it's my support. To the people behind the company, and to the company behind the people. Many here love both.)

You may state that something my happen anyway, like a meteor obliterating them all et simila. In that case, well... See all the preordering thing as a gambe. A gambe with low chances to lose, too.
joe10 wrote: 3- 5 people are on the current project(amongst everyone who is contributing, somewhat), and after 2 years, there isn't much done. maybe hire more people to go at a faster speed? I don't mean rushing the game, but more work done in less time.
Again, the progress are a fair amount, even more than expect actually - by me at least. Why you think it's too little? Remember anyway that many preorderes "work" here finding bugs, giving ideas, etc. It's like having more people - I know is not like literally have them, but working this way has benefits: different minds thinking = better mass testing and bugs discovery.
About hiring people, I don't really know - but I can guess: no money for everyone. Also keep in mind that Wolfire it's group of college frind joined together, they are not likely to split apart, abandon the project/company, minding working in the night for little money or having problems with sharing money and stuff. They also know all the background of the game as well, and how the engine works. With an external person, it may be more difficult to work with.
joe10 wrote: Please don't think i'mm a pessimist. I like what i have seen so far and if i didn't i wouldn't have watched every single you tube video. I'm so looking forward to this game, and I'm dying to get hands on the finished product. I played the lugaru demo and i hated it. The action is good but i just can't look past the graphics. That is why Overgrowth is number one on my watch list, because everything is upgraded(based on what i have seen).
I don't think you are pessimist, I just think you are assuming knowing too much about how to run a company or make games. No offence. If you really want the game so badly, I suggest preordering - you are buying it anyway in the end, aren't you? That way you will be able to play, and contribute with money and alpha testing. Which will make the game development faster, and better.
Waiting is a good option too, since we don't want a rushed game full of bugs, do we? So please be patient. It will be delivered when it will be ready.

I'm not telling you that you should preorder, I'm just pointing out that there are more reason for you to do so rather than do not. :wink:

Conner36

Post by Conner36 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:02 pm

I'll just say that I've gotten more than 35$ of enjoyment playing in sandbox mode and doing horrible things to rabbits. Plus if you pre-order there are fan levels that are playable in the alphas that are pretty fun.
In the end it comes to voting with your dollars. I want Wolfire to stay in business so I give them money. I would pay 60$ in a second for the finished game.

Bril

Post by Bril » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:50 am

joe10 wrote:First of all, hello everyone. This is my first post in this site and i would like to ask a couple of questions that had been in my mind ever since i finished watching every video on the wolfire youtube channel .

I must start off by saying that I am quite sad that you let graphics control your overall gaming experience, :cry: but anywho, I think that you should do a little research on Indie Games, or check out an Activision forum, not trying to hammer you really, but it seems that everything you have a problem with is all of the things that would be problems if compared to a corporate publisher game. The pre-orders are to help support and fund the game, i doubt someone gave them a 6 figure budget you know?

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:51 pm

Overgrowth is in its early stages of development.

It is impressive that the Wolfire team has accomplished as much as they have given the time span in which they have developed the most recent Alpha.

Weekly updates should be a good indicator that this game is well on its way. Patience is a virtue.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:35 am

I think it's funny that most companies don't even mention the game in the two or so years that they have it in alpha stages. so people expect the game to be rapidly finished just because we knew it was coming.

joe10

Post by joe10 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Ok, after reading the responses and re-reading what I wrote, I think I came as a bit harsh. I'm an indie game virgin(well i played a lot of indie games)but this game looked to me more like an AAA title than all the other indie games I played, that is why i compared it with other AAA games. I don't know the process it takes to make a video game to be honest, so that is what the newbieness(if that's even a word) comes in. However, it is the first time I have seen a game progress being released to the public from nothing to what it is now, which is what coughtt me off guard. I wont pre-order this game but I will be keeping a close eye on it and when it is released, I will make sure that i will be the first one to buy it. Good luck on making it as ground breaking as i hope it would accomplish.

A little note about the graphics, yes, i value graphics as a big thing but I'm overly impressed with Overgrowth graphics, so it is a no worry for me in that aspect at least.

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:53 pm

joe10 wrote:yes, i value graphics as a big thing
You're missing out on a whole world of great great games. Does that mean you don't play gaming classics because they've got outdated graphics?

joe10

Post by joe10 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:58 pm

I think I have been mis understood by saying that i velue graphics as a big thing for me. Like i mentioned before, I played alot of indie games and 95% of them had crap graphics but the gameplay is nice. What I meant was I don't buy newly released games that have crappy graphics, especially when they cost more than 30 bucks. when they are on the bargain bin or special day sales and discounts, now that is another story. Hope this is clear now

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:22 am

I feel a bit ashamed that we all respond so negatively at the slightest hint of anything negative. I'm glad that you thought Overgrowth was comparable to any AAA games especially since their team is about 95 people smaller than most AAA games average teams.

Splicage

Post by Splicage » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:12 am

joe10 wrote:3- 5 people are on the current project(amongst everyone who is contributing, somewhat), and after 2 years, there isn't much done. maybe hire more people to go at a faster speed? I don't mean rushing the game, but more work done in less time.
-__- I do not believe you have watched all their videos.

StompJunkman

Post by StompJunkman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Overgrowth's got potential to become really, really interesting. What it needs the most right now is sketches of gameplay and level design, but I'm sure the devs are cooking on that.

I look upon the preorder as a donation. Fighting system is fun, and preordering makes me feel like a contributor.

MagmaDragoon

Post by MagmaDragoon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:33 am

Count Roland wrote:I feel a bit ashamed that we all respond so negatively at the slightest hint of anything negative. I'm glad that you thought Overgrowth was comparable to any AAA games especially since their team is about 95 people smaller than most AAA games average teams.
Well said, sir.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:02 am

I'm just addicted to positive responses.