What is this game really?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
bobokachu

What is this game really?

Post by bobokachu » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:20 am

It said this one the website

Overgrowth is a 3d action-adventure game for Mac, Windows, and Linux, coming soon from the independent game studio, Wolfire Games. It is the spiritual successor to Lugaru. Check out our FAQ for more info.

I saw in the faq under open world this

You can expect the Overgrowth single-player campaign.

So this means that there is a single player mode.

Under multiplayer it said this

Our primary focus will be adding some co-operative, multiplayer elements. We're not sure yet how many players can be supported at the same time but initial multiplayer tests have been successful.

So my question is the co-op a stand alone thing? Or is its just play the single player with a friend.

Also i was wondering will the multiplayer be setup like a mmo?

I never played any of your games before so idk. The only thing i would want is multiplayer and co-op i never play single player games.

but the videos ive seen make it look like a mmo world thats empty. If this is a mmo game i will get it. Is it a mmo?

LugaruFan

Re: What is this game really?

Post by LugaruFan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:33 am

I approved this post, but why did you make 4?

Anyway, the game is a hand-to-hand fast-paced combat game, set in the savage world of Lugaru.
It is not a MMO, but could feature some multi-player in future. The multi-player will probably be Deathmatch or TD, there will probably be co-op multi-player also.
I hoped this helped.

bobokachu

Post by bobokachu » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:18 am

After they finish with this game they should make a mmo.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:46 am

LugaruFan wrote:It is not a MMO, but could feature some multi-player in future. The multi-player will probably be Deathmatch or TD, there will probably be co-op multi-player also.
Actually, I think they haven't mentioned any deathmatch multiplayer modes so far, just that co-op multiplayer will be a priority. Not a high priority, though, compared to the single-player game.

Bobokachu, while understand that you would like to get more games you'd like to play, I hope you realize MMO games are a HUGE investment in time and money, much more so than normal graphically intensive PC or console games. The budgets of the latter games are already quite high, even for small teams. I don't expect Overgrowth to ever become an MMO game.

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:01 pm

I didn't say they said there's going to be DM, it's just what you'd kind of expect, or 1-1 DM.

johndh

Post by johndh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:15 pm

The world needs no more MMOs. Most are huge wastes of money because people realize that they already invest 40-some-odd hours per week on WoW or Guild Wars and really don't need to pick up another addiction. :P

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:32 pm

David has said that because of the fast paced nature of the game lag problems have him reluctant to try pvp combat.

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:25 am

Count Roland wrote:David has said that because of the fast paced nature of the game lag problems have him reluctant to try pvp combat.
That's all ways true but no-one here would get all Angry German Kid over being killed is there.
Is there?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:34 am

LugaruFan wrote:That's all ways true but no-one here would get all Angry German Kid over being killed is there.
Is there?
Dying once, probably not. Dying all the time because Overgrowth's PVP multiplayer might be a horrible, laggy slugfest? Probably several. Making the PVP work well is difficult, and since David et al don't want to make a bad game, they can't promise a PVP mode.

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:36 am

Even if they didn't. Someone could make a PVP mod, couldn't they?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:00 am

LugaruFan wrote:Even if they didn't. Someone could make a PVP mod, couldn't they?
That's like saying, "even if Lada doesn't make racing cars, someone could turn a lada into a racing car." While it might be possible, it would be very difficult, and in fact, might be impossible without changing the chassis so much it isn't the original any more.

If there's a co-op mode, and if enough of the networking layer has been opened to scripting, then it might be possible. Although as the networking code will almost certainly be written in C and comes pre-compiled, optimizing the networking any further would also be pretty much impossible, which would severely limit the kinds of things people could do.