Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
theflightless

Re: Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Post by theflightless » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:04 pm

I'd like to say that this has apparently become a gauging of value based upon different philosophies of time management for the developers, as forwarded and defended by various consumerbase(hypothetically) participants, and I wish to forward something I have not yet noted in the past two pages; if it has been mentioned previously (as I would hope, it seems obvious - from a certain perspective and a certain type of gaming habit) I apologize to be redundant but not so much as to read through a backwash of quality vs. quantity or "content vs. no content" discussion to appeal with a perfectly current understanding of the ongoing discussion, because it is hard to actually parse and locate the discussion that I am interested in.

A quick rewrap of two things I find very important -
1. Multiplayer adds dynamic and permutational use of any given set of mechanics because of the depth of human thought, or even a random-generation machine. It covers a lot of ground that can not all be scripted to be enjoyed by the developers in all possible forms, particularly the meta-forms of well-versed rivalry combat that can be seen in many games (diablo II? Fight Night round 3?) Emergent tactics and psychocombat are parts of this.
2. Lag would destroy the cohesive need of combat to be distributed across very small intervals of time - reflex and sharpened reactions being part of the tactics useful in the videos, and of course from lugaru I would assume a very large part of the whole game.

This eliminates any connectivity that is not nearly ideal and unhindered. My service provider gives me something like 1 or 2 mbs with flakiness, noise, and uneven frequency. This is not conducive to a truly excellent experience in any game that requires rapidly reactive mechanics.

I love the single player in lugaru. I have bought and played lugaru, and I have beaten it five or ten times, each with a large part of the challenge missions likewise completed to my differing (over play throughs) satisfaction.

I have friends who very greatly enjoyed lugaru. Many of us live close. I have two roommates whom game, and coffee shop home boys to play with. I consider LAN connectivity to be very pure, in my experience there has been no lag whatsoever between me and my roommate upon our laptops playing diablo II in the same room, running through the game ourselves. This is a market I hope the developers will remain aware of - socialized gaming, people whom can spend 30 bucks on a whim for a weekend of ten hours of continuous virtual exploration and jousting( most of the people whom I game with over varied softwares) as well as me and my roommate, the tag-team collab co-op players who will drain a lot of time into PVP after having completed campaigns or available co-op.

I would like to see LAN multiplayer instituted locally within the game. I know I would get a lot of use out of it. The mechanics I leave to the devs, but the idea I give is the solidity of local connections is capable of giving some solid combat joy.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:05 pm

If we ever get Overgrowth PvP combat, I'd say some combat redesign would need to happen, make it slower paced for the sake of connection issues. Even drop out blocking completely! Rely only on attacks and movement, dodges maybe. That'd be interesting.

shayanjameel08

Post by shayanjameel08 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 am

The developers disagree. No offense, but I doubt the people who've worked on this game for a few years would've missed that if it was as simple as you think.

Bax

Post by Bax » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:58 am

I believe that having multiplayer lobbies similar to Jedi Academy would be perfect. For those of you that are not familiar, in Jedi Knight ffa servers, players join in a map and hang out/duel eachother, and free for all at the same time. You can challenge a player to duel, and when accepted it is just a 1v1.
I am a big fan of competitive play and see a lot of potential in this game.
Last edited by Bax on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

GingerWarlord

Post by GingerWarlord » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:00 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:Multiplayer games inevitably get repetitive and boring.
Not that this is aimed at you specifically, Ragdollmaster, but I find that to be ever so untrue.

In this thread it seems much like there are two sides battling, but that in it's self is the idiocy of it all. I can appreciate a single-player game VERY much. I still play the first release of Metal Gear Solid on the original PS1 disk using an emulator on my PC.

I believe, though, that there is a satisfaction provided by human competition and interaction that no game shall ever match, and without an extremely strong and well driven narrative many games fall short of being engaging, not due to bad gameplay but due to lack of will to continue, unknowing of what you're actually doing.

I would be happy to play Overgrowth online and LAUGH at the lag, errors, and faults caused between my friends and I, and to say that I'd expect LOTS of work to be put into it would be incorrect. I'd like there to be the function. That is all.
After all, my friends live close to me.

A 6player free-for-all LAN party would be ideal for this game, and the idea of a co-op campaign would have made me happy to pay £30+.

MkLBR

Post by MkLBR » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:53 pm

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:31 pm

GingerWarlord wrote:In this thread it seems much like there are two sides battling, but that in it's self is the idiocy of it all. I can appreciate a single-player game VERY much.
Well, yes - pro and con, two sides. Saying that doesn't really add anything to the discussion. The arguments each side is using are more numerous though. Your argument seems to boil down to "I like can i haz multiplayer pls".

The "con" side tends to have an argument besides "i don't like can I not haz" - for example, technical trouble, costs, etc. The "con" side wouldn't mind having both aingle and multi play if there weren't issues like those.

I disagree about the narrative aspect being necessary for singleplayer. What about skill-based games? Roguelikes, lots of platformers, shoot'em ups, strategy games with random or static maps (Civilization...)... "just one more turn" etc.

Fantasos

Post by Fantasos » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:40 am

PvP and maybe CO-OP? It would be really cool if you would have like a meter that has slowmo and it regens overtime for PvP.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:44 am

@endoperez u du laik wot david is doings or u gets outs
@Fantasos slowmo in mp? thats only possible when everybody gets slowmo at the same time (which kindof kills the sense) or when the Player has no control over it (like in the burnout series) but i thinkit would have to leave in an online mode.

aviviv

Post by aviviv » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:17 pm

I could see why for someone that does not play with his friends multiplayer could be unapealing but I just love multiplayer! i really look forward t othe day multiplayer will exist. me and my friends play ALLOT of games whisle talking on skype and it's WAY funner than sitting and playing with your selfe. all me and my friends want is a simple sandbox. sandbox will let us and everyone create wither dueling, coop or competitive maps and share them across the internet.

I had a few ideas for simple game modes like one wolf against many regular chars or something like that. but again give us a sandbox and we'll create all that and more :D

P.S. I really love the splitscreen mod. me and my friends play it allot. especially scince I have 2 monitors.

for give my terrible spelling english is not my native language

Dat_cool_guy205

Post by Dat_cool_guy205 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:28 pm

I can't speak for anybody else but a free roam styled multiplayer would be amazing. not anything with the side view camera locked like in the multiplayer available now but just a game where you could meet up with a buddy on a massive map and go adventuring online. just an idea.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:06 am

Dat_cool_guy205 wrote:I can't speak for anybody else but a free roam styled multiplayer would be amazing. not anything with the side view camera locked like in the multiplayer available now but just a game where you could meet up with a buddy on a massive map and go adventuring online. just an idea.

There would most likely be issues with latency for fighting each other, but it would be really cool to be able to parkour with a buddy!

Raggedstar360

Post by Raggedstar360 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Multiplayer games inevitably get repetitive and boring. There are a few gems out there (Battlefield Bad Company 2, Team Fortress 2, Counterstrike) that seem timeless, but honestly, most multiplayer games only hook me for maybe a total of 20 to 30 hours of gameplay. Meanwhile, I spent over 100 hours playing Oblivion and Fallout 3- each- and I've replayed a bunch of absolutely spectacular games on singleplayer at least once- more or less every game in the Metal Gear Solid series, Bioshock, Star Wars: Battlefront I & II, SaGa Frontier I & II, Final Fantasy IV, VII, and X, Uncharted 1 & 2, Kingdom Hearts I & II... to suggest that singleplayer holds no replay value is utter bollocks. The overwhelming majority of my time spent playing video games has been with singleplayer titles. Multiplayer is more or less the same shit with some variation- if you're on map X for game mode Y, you're going to by default use strategy Z and do the same crap over and over again. A well-crafted singleplayer campaign holds an enormous amount of variety, narration, and emotional impact that a multiplayer mode will never be able to have. Not to say multiplayer is bad as an addition, but I'd much rather take an extremely well-made singleplayer game than an average singleplayer game with average multiplayer. It doesn't hurt if an already great singleplayer title has a multiplayer mode, or if a game is crafted to be multiplayer only and does a good job of it, but more often than not, I find singleplayer titles more enjoyable and of a much higher quality than multiplayer titles.

tl;dr -> I'll take quality over "lasting appeal" any day. Anyone who wouldn't do the same obviously either hasn't had the pleasure of playing through some utterly fantastic singleplayer titles or just has a ridiculously short attention span, and rapid, repetitive multiplayer games (CALL OF DOOTIE) are the only thing that they can play without getting bored.
Well, I don't want overgrowth to be like skyrim, a game that is just screaming for a co-op multiplayer mode. Everyone who has played skyrim agrees that if you could just have one friend with you, that the game would easily have a ten out of ten on every review. I very much hope that online multiplayer becomes a real thing for overgrowth. Lord knows they have the money, but sadly, its seems as if they are focusing more on that damn comic strip and concept art. Yeah, the comic is cool, as well as the art, but I think i speak for everyone here when I say we paid for this because we wanted more and more features. When this game was released in alpha, they were updating every single week, now its like a monthly thing, not even that sometimes. I want the old days back :(

deprav

Post by deprav » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:16 am

*Dropping the shovel*

I'd like to add some stuff about that multiplayer debat, I already posted but it seems I've been misunderstood and have a few new points !

I did buy the game because of its great fun & competitive multiplayer potential, but I'm as well totally pleased to have bought it considering its awesome SP and the potential of all the mods. I just thought multiplayer was a logical feature considering the actual gaming scene and the structure of the game itself, it just seems like MP would perfectly fit on the picture.

Even a 2v2 or 3v3 game mod would open great possibilities, a multiplayer fast-paced tag team fighting game would just be one of the greatest things I've ever played.

With the new element that is split-screen multiplayer, which wasn't here last time I posted, I can really see LAN multiplayer being an actual thing. CO-OP is already playable as you can add AI to versus maps, thing is, you either need a huge screen (or dual screen, does it work ?).

Also, almost every PVP games (FPS or classic fighting games like SF4) require good reflexes and are playable online with the lag factor. I'm pretty sure the actual combat speed would be playable online with a ping under 90~100 ; and if not, slowing it down by 20 or 30% should do the trick. Mount&Blade : Warband (again) for instance, requires quite a fast reaction time for melee combat and is entirely enjoyable online at competitive level (I've more than 2000h on warband's MP, veri enjoyable indeed).

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:35 am

deprav wrote:With the new element that is split-screen multiplayer, which wasn't here last time I posted, I can really see LAN multiplayer being an actual thing. CO-OP is already playable as you can add AI to versus maps, thing is, you either need a huge screen (or dual screen, does it work ?).
Yes, Overgrowth on windowed mode can be stretched across two screens. Getting the split-screen split to actually be in the center has to be done manually by changing the size of the Overgrowth window.
Also, almost every PVP games (FPS or classic fighting games like SF4) require good reflexes and are playable online with the lag factor. I'm pretty sure the actual combat speed would be playable online with a ping under 90~100 ; and if not, slowing it down by 20 or 30% should do the trick. Mount&Blade : Warband (again) for instance, requires quite a fast reaction time for melee combat and is entirely enjoyable online at competitive level (I've more than 2000h on warband's MP, veri enjoyable indeed).
Yes, David himself shut the lag discussion down - according to him, lag won't be an issue, but multiplayer development isn't a priority so it won't happen soon. There was no promise of it happening later, but it was a possibility.