Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Endoperez

Re: Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Post by Endoperez » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:41 am

Wow, very nice for a first post! Those features would make a game with a supporting community an exiting experience. I don't know if Overgrowth will be that game or not, but I don't think it's very likely.

Also, I'll have to correct you on one thing - there's no LAN play, just splitscreen on the same computer. You might have meant that since it just enforces your point further.

jdturner11

Post by jdturner11 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Endoperez wrote:Wow, very nice for a first post! Those features would make a game with a supporting community an exiting experience. I don't know if Overgrowth will be that game or not, but I don't think it's very likely.

Also, I'll have to correct you on one thing - there's no LAN play, just splitscreen on the same computer. You might have meant that since it just enforces your point further.

Thanks :). For some reason it came out LAN... I don't know why. Sorry for that misinformation, thanks for clarifying :).

I agree, I doubt it'll go that way, but I'm extremely anxious to see how this game takes shape with such great gameplay already at an alpha stage.

J_Myers97

Post by J_Myers97 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:25 pm

Even if the developers don't create a online multiplayer, someone else might be able to create it for Overgrowth. Multiplayer was created for Just Cause 2 and Skyrim is in the works, so it isn't impossible for Overgrowth to have it even if they don't release it in the final version.

frylewis

Post by frylewis » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Last edited by frylewis on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unknownx09

Post by Unknownx09 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:51 am

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss please ad a multiplayer pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

OverGrowthWolf

Post by OverGrowthWolf » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:40 pm

It would be a good idea but who would host the server's like would wolffire host them all or would it be like IP hosting like some minecraft servers. 8) Overgrowth Wolf

Dagexon

Post by Dagexon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:41 pm

I think that co-op is what this game NEEDS, pvp could also be fun but I don't think that it's as important as co-op

aviviv

Post by aviviv » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:15 pm

i thnk a good way is 4 game mods: bunny on bunny, wolf on wolf, lots of bunnies on 1 wolf( winer gets to be wolf), and armed bunny on wolf.
about the slo-mo it would be a problem if everyone could slo-mo whenevver they wanted to it would be a pain in the ass and totaly slow the game down, so maibie no one can slo mo and it auto slo-moes every time somebody dies? that will also requier low players in a server, lets say 3-7?

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:32 pm

I doubt the slow motion button will be in the final game. It's just there as a testing tool, not a feature.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:15 am

Synapse wrote:I doubt the slow motion button will be in the final game. It's just there as a testing tool, not a feature.
It won't be there as something you can activate any time for as long as you want, but it might be used as a special effect in some cases. For example, when someone dies.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Synapse wrote:I doubt the slow motion button will be in the final game. It's just there as a testing tool, not a feature.
It won't be there as something you can activate any time for as long as you want, but it might be used as a special effect in some cases. For example, when someone dies.
I kind of want to see it as an unlockable. Beat the main story once or fulfil an achievement that somehow references the Alpha and you get it for singleplayer as a little inside joke and a fun feature/kind of cheat.

ee1213

Post by ee1213 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:40 am

Single player can offer many hours of gameplay, if it is rewarding.
Multiplayer is never static, and thus tends to extend the shelf life of a game (almost indefinitely).

Coming from an RPG + FPS background, I picked up Dark Souls. 489 hours later ( Pic or it didn't happen :3 ), I can safely say it's the most challenging and rewarding game I've ever played. This is thanks largely to its balanced focus on both single- and multi-player. It has a similar combat system, and overcomes lag issues for the most part to deliver the most man-mode, hardcore MP evar.

TL;DR: adding multiplayer components to a fleshed-out, in-depth single player adventure/rpg is the ultimate sauce.
Last edited by ee1213 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.

jdturner11

Post by jdturner11 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:04 am

ee1213 wrote:Single player can offer many hours of gameplay, if it is rewarding.
Multiplayer is never static, and thus tends to extend the shelf life of a game (almost indefinitely).

Coming from an RPG + FPS background, I picked up Dark Souls. 489 hours later ( Pic or it didn't happen :3 ), I can safely say it's the most challenging and rewarding game I've ever played. This is thanks largely to its balanced focus on both single- and multi-player. It has a similar combat system, and overcomes lag issues for the most part to deliver the most man-mode, hardcore MP evar.

TL;DR: adding multiplayer components to a fleshed-out, in-depth single player adventure/rpg is the ultimate sauce.

I have to respectfully disagree, Dark Souls was ripe with connection issues and the PvP in consoles had large latency problems that I can't just credit to the user. Though I do not know about the PC version and I would like to hear your response about the PCs PvP/connectivity.

ee1213

Post by ee1213 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:28 pm

jdturner11 wrote:
ee1213 wrote:Single player can offer many hours of gameplay, if it is rewarding.

I have to respectfully disagree, Dark Souls was ripe with connection issues and the PvP in consoles had large latency problems that I can't just credit to the user. Though I do not know about the PC version and I would like to hear your response about the PCs PvP/connectivity.
@jd
The lag issues with Dark Souls are related to the (silly/ridiculous) P2P connection system, which matches players randomly from across the world without regard for latency. And even at that, the rewarding multiplayer is the thing that kept me playing for so, so long.

Oh, and the PC version is worse than the PS3 in terms of networking. haha

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Assuming Overgrowth may someday have an MP server/client setup, I think it would be an amazing win for the community at large.

Not directed at anyone, but I've been thinking about it, and those who (outright) care only about single player have no place in a debate about MP...unless they're trolls, of course.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:09 am

I believe (and hope) that some sort of multiplayer addition will come up at some point.
Just... I don't really think it would happen right now. Like others said, OG has to be as accurate and fast paced like your typical FPS. That could be difficult to do, taking in count how the game works.

Something that I've seen is that multiplayer is always compared to the singleplayer. If OG was multiplayer since the start, no one would even care if latency issues came up. It would be all like "K, ragdolls are quite the data. The game is also on alpha state, no deal."