actually making something worthwhile.

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Antymattar

actually making something worthwhile.

Post by Antymattar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 am

I know that all the stuff they are making is soooo cool and I cant wait for the game to get finished but I feel as though it will take forever for them to make some better AI or some neutral actors that you can talk with or at least houses that you can enter into through doors or something. I really dont thing that all this shading overlapping fix is that important. I would rather like to see the game progress to a more immersive point and have a few shadow bugs and a few animation bugs. I don't know, maybe that's just me but I feel as though this could end bad(From my own experience in making games I have understood that you should always start by making the rough engine and then polish it)

But maybe that's just me.

Endoperez

Re: actually making something worthwhile.

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:48 am

Houses... have been possible for a while, and with this week's additions, the scripts can now create popup windows. That might be enough for NPCs talking, but I'm not sure. It's much closer, any way.

Houses and talking are not very important for a combat game, at least mechanically. There is lots of other stuff I'd love to see, and haven't, so I understand your sentiments to a point. I have been anxious about when they'll add scripting commands for item interactions, and item-specific scripts. For example, an item that does X when a player comes within Y distance of it, with X being animation or whatever. That'd let people do all kinds of things from traps to opening doors to curtains opening to dropping bazillion wolves on an unsuspecting rabbit to making a cart or a car that starts moving once the player hops on it. Being able to spawn objects of a given type would also be fantastic, it'd allow things like the character crouching down, grabbing a rock that was just spawned underground, and throwing it at an enemy, and lots of other stuff.

However, before the combat mechanics are working (attacks, blocks, reversals, weapons, jumping attacks and who knows what else?) it's way too early to talk about story features, or even advanced level features. They can't start creating final levels before they e.g. know how far the character will be able to jump, and that might change depending on AI and other stuff, so... it might take a long time still. :(

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:51 am

There has also been a blog post about this topic.

Shoat

Post by Shoat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:09 am

Antymattar wrote:But maybe that's just me.
It is just you.
You probably missed how incredibly early in production this game still is.

It's the alpha stage of a game that is made by a really small development team, that while having to deal with the time-consuming work on the beautiful graphics and exceptional physics, does not have the huge development team that your average triple A game developers have when they produce games with similarily time-consuming work.

And considering the point we're at, I think we can count ourselves lucky that there's not only an already functioning combat system (and AI) in the game, but that we also get Access to the Alpha AND a lot of insight into the development process with weekly video coverage.