Ovregrowth playablilty ideas!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
hennio

Ovregrowth playablilty ideas!

Post by hennio » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:26 am

Hello everyone in the forum, first of all, great thanks to the production team, for creating this fantastic game, Overgrowth.

I have seen videos of bunnies fighting, jumping, running, and it is really good, but what about the story? Knowing it is still on alpha stage, its the best moment to add ideas to make it an even better game.

I have been thinking, and I came up with an original idea, and I wanted to share it. As well as having this amazing fighting, map editing could be added to the playability.. let me explain:

You have to get from A to B, you kick out the rabbits or wolves, but then there is a great wall you can't climb, so you go to the editor, and you place some boxes, jump, and reach B.

This extra would add more versatility to the sandbox, as you are reaching the goal you way, and each person would do it their way.

Please comment on this idea, and share your ideas aswell!!

Endoperez

Re: Ovregrowth playablilty ideas!

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:41 am

The editor is too powerful to work that way, since not only could you move things, but duplicate, remove or change anything. For example, instead of adding a box that lets you get over the wall, you could grab the wall and scale it, first downwards, and then forward, covering everything in the level. They you'd just jump on it and walk to the exit.

There could be features where you can affect the environment in-game, though. Pushing boxes next to the wall and such. The problem with those is that the player might decide to push the box in a way, that gets it stuck. If the player is free to move the box, that can always happen. Having to restart a level because you failed at a puzzle is annoying, especially if it's at the end, so this wouldn't really work that well as a part of the main game. It could work as a mod, though.

EDIT:
In fact, it might be doable right now. You can pick up and move weapons. If you had a box object that was a weapon, but had no attack animation, it'd be pretty much this.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:38 am

Hey, that's pretty good, Endo. So you could just call anything a weapon-- in fact, you could just make a box, a vase, or a small rock or whatever a weapon and pick it up and place it...

or maybe throw it, heh heh. Like I said, those cat vases of Aubrey's look nice and hefty.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:45 am

kehaar wrote:Hey, that's pretty good, Endo. So you could just call anything a weapon-- in fact, you could just make a box, a vase, or a small rock or whatever a weapon and pick it up and place it...

or maybe throw it, heh heh. Like I said, those cat vases of Aubrey's look nice and hefty.
I tried making an object throwing mod a while ago. I tried doing an animation and releasing the item during a frame in which the hand (and the object) is moving fast. I thought that current speed would be used as the object's momentum. I didn't get the animation exporting working so I never tested it.

It would probably be much simpler to make a script that just adds velocity to the object.

Also, you'd have to add a few things to make the weapon have custom attack animations that aren't melee attacks.

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:20 am

Wait, weapons collide with characters?
I always thought they only collide with objects!

hennio

Post by hennio » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:55 am

Endoperez wrote:The editor is too powerful to work that way, since not only could you move things, but duplicate, remove or change anything.
Yes, the current editor enables you to modify all of the map, but, restricting it to creating and modifying new objects ej. boxes, maybe weapons.. is what I meant.
Endoperez wrote:The problem with those is that the player might decide to push the box in a way, that gets it stuck.
I think that just deleting the box would solve that problem.
Anyhow, this idea needs refinement.
kehaar wrote: you could just make a box, a vase, or a small rock or whatever a weapon and pick it up and place it...
I like that one :P