Can't run OverGrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
MonkeyHeart

Can't run OverGrowth

Post by MonkeyHeart » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:36 am

Yes I pirated the alpha, but I only pirate games to make sure they work on my computer before I fork up money.

And luckily I didn't spend any money on OG yet because it crashes after loading a map.

Anyone know a fix around this? I'll pre order the game (I'm currently in pre order mode, got dead island and skyrim on my list so far) If this is fixed for me.

nutcracker

Re: Can't run OverGrowth

Post by nutcracker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:10 am

Does sound intensely suspicious. Provide us with your computer specs. Bare in mind that it is still in alpha. I suggest that you preorder the game and if it doesn't work when it is done, get a refund.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:29 am

Yeah, although it's had mixed results for other folk. For me, I just run it in compatibility mode for Win XP. That works, but you can try that with Admin too. If you preorder and it doesn't work, and then the final release doesn't work for you either, you can always email the devs, and they'll happily give you a full refund.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Man, there are more of them these days...

Kointoss

Post by Kointoss » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:37 pm

i dont understand why people pirate these type of games. It's not like they're expecting people to shell out 60 bucks for the game. This is an indie game, and i am wholeheartedly against pirating indie games. I have no problem with buying the game, expecially if it is something that these people spent a good portion of their time working on.

Its only 30 dollars and you still get weekly updates. Thats a lot of content for that amount of money. The only good thing pirating does is get the word out that this game is good. But that word also spreads with where they got it from, so they'll pirate it from there too.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:03 pm

i really don't understand why people are so vigilant about pirating the ALPHA. it's like they are expecting some big show, and they don't realize that this game is hardly even a game yet.

i haven't preordered, i haven't pirated, time is on my side.

anyways i suggest you post the technical specs of your computer, we will have a better idea of what's the issue if we know what your machine is made of.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:08 pm

I don't understand pirating if you have any intention of buying it since you can simply buy it and then if it doesn't work and you can't fix it you can just get a refund, though they will almost undoubtedly fix whatever problems there are later.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Because it's more convenient than buying it and going through the process of a refund. I'm not advocating it, mind, I'm just explaining the rationale behind it, it's just the choice between taking the time to fill out an order form and then getting your money back if you're not satisfied with the product versus clicking a button on Pirate Bay :P

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:13 pm

yes but you're less likely as a pirate to get any support for it and to actually have it fixed for you, and you'll likely get an older version than is currently available since it updates weekly, I say the somewhat longer time it takes is worth it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 pm

You can't honestly expect an Alpha to run perfectly, especially not on different machines!

krissztyoon

Post by krissztyoon » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:00 pm

I also have sort of problem similar to this one. But I'm not english and I do not really think that i could talk about this problem (i'm hungarian) neither in hungarian :D
But I try to do:
So my problem is:
I downloaded this game because of some reasons for example: im hungarian and i wont buy this game via paypal or so on because i have no bank card and my mother wont let me buy this game...
that is why i had to download.... so the problem is that when i installed the game on my laptop (HP pavilion g6-1104sh 4gb with win7 64bit) i didnt work. i downloaded the alpha 139 and updated it with the updater. After updating i clicked on the icon overgrowth.exe. Two progress appeared. I chose the map and waited for loading the game. It started t load the things like sound, hotspots... and when it tried to load the sound siddenly it stopped working... and I had to close the game... :@ and as many times as I try to play/load the game this happens every time I try to load the map. mmm... I forgot something... when the progress of loading the map stopped working it looks like this: -URL is fishy, repost with a legit one-

I hope you could understend me and help me.
Look forward to your replies.

Krisztián

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:32 pm

There are a few honest pirates out there who intend to buy, but we won't post help getting it working here. If we post help in this forum, any pirate can just come on the site and get their download running so we don't post any.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:09 pm

That's pretty much the whole of it. Pirating for a tryout is all good when it comes out of the pockets of wealthy corporations; the real developers still get their salaries. Here, every lost sale hurts the salaries and resources of the developers/owners/employees of this company, potentially delaying the release. We don't take kindly to pirates in these parts.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Ar, he be speakin' the truth, me laddie. These parts tain't be the friendliest if ye be o' the swashbucklin' sort. Ye best be makin' a purchase o' the game and be givin' it a try that way. If yer system not be up to the challenge, ye can wait for optimization or a release, ar. If ye be regrettin' yer purchase, ye can always be sendin' a e-letter ter [email protected] and they'll be right happy to refund yer entire purchase.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:32 pm

Arr!