Lugaru 2 NEEDS GORE.

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:34 pm

But the physics in Lugaru were so fun! Wasn't it satisfying to watch a airborne rabbit crash into a wall? It's body flattening and crunching like a steamrolled baby.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:46 pm

MacWiggy wrote:But the physics in Lugaru were so fun! Wasn't it satisfying to watch a airborne rabbit crash into a wall? It's body flattening and crunching like a steamrolled baby.
I know, the physics in Lugaru were great. But that doesn't mean soft body physics would change that! I mean, Just by modifying the models, you can make them behave exactly the same as ragdoll ones. They would be better of course, because you could actually have the bodies flatten and crunch if they crash into a wall. Soft-body fracture physics basically swap out the models with ones that react better, the same basic rules of ragdoll physics still apply.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:34 pm

Zantalos wrote:
MacWiggy wrote:But the physics in Lugaru were so fun! Wasn't it satisfying to watch a airborne rabbit crash into a wall? It's body flattening and crunching like a steamrolled baby.
I know, the physics in Lugaru were great. But that doesn't mean soft body physics would change that! I mean, Just by modifying the models, you can make them behave exactly the same as ragdoll ones. They would be better of course, because you could actually have the bodies flatten and crunch if they crash into a wall. Soft-body fracture physics basically swap out the models with ones that react better, the same basic rules of ragdoll physics still apply.
I doubt that the ragdoll idea from Lugaru will change much, the reason being that it was so damn fun. Better collision detection and all would be great, but do we really need that much more improvement? If it really improves the gameplay, then so be it.

On a side note, let's start a quote nexus.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:10 pm

wormguy wrote:
Zantalos wrote:
I doubt that the ragdoll idea from Lugaru will change much, the reason being that it was so damn fun. Better collision detection and all would be great, but do we really need that much more improvement? If it really improves the gameplay, then so be it.

On a side note, let's start a quote nexus.
Well, I don't know. Aside from that single tech demo, that's practically the only attempt I've seen at soft body physics (I think it's the first too). So who knows, it might not effect gameplay too much, though I think it's fantastic. You know, maybe we'll just have to wait a bit for David's upcoming game for the Graphics meets Games Competition. I'm just totally stoked.
David (taken a bit out of context) wrote:...there are some key technological features that have never been seen in games before as far as I know. There are many planned, but these are the ones that are already implemented:

-Soft-body fracture physics: Remember the G-man destruction demo? Alec Rivers, the programmer behind that, has been working on that engine for the last few years and is actually working with me on Lugaru 2 now...

Wumpus

Post by Wumpus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:57 am

I'm personally really looking forward to Lugaru 2. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one, especially all the wicked fights, and moves. (in particular the throws and reversals.) While its not quite Oni, it has its own special touch Oni doesn't have.

I've heard the engine supports fractures and limb removal and so on. I'm hoping I can disable an opponent or two in the middle of a fight, and finish him off later. Like break an arm or a leg, or cut a hand off or something.

Call me sick, but I like the fighting visceral :D

Anyway regardless of exactly what it has, its going to rock beyond belief all the same.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:02 pm

Wumpus wrote:I'm personally really looking forward to Lugaru 2. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one
I'm pretty sure the same is true for everyone here.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:37 pm

If Lugaru 2 is going to have gore, it'll definitely need some new moves. My suggestion, multiple fighting buttons. Maybe left click is punch, and right click is kick, and any variation on the two. (or three) This would allow for crazy gory moves that don't get reptitive as fast.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:57 pm

But MacWiggy, you are missing out the Great concept idea for Lugaru, it only needs the shift and Click system to work. if you add more buttons it will end up like those other games where Fighting a noob is easy case there pressing as many buttons as they can.

L1 had a system so easy to learn it was not funny. that is what makes it Supreme.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:26 am

MacWiggy wrote:If Lugaru 2 is going to have gore, it'll definitely need some new moves. My suggestion, multiple fighting buttons. Maybe left click is punch, and right click is kick, and any variation on the two. (or three) This would allow for crazy gory moves that don't get reptitive as fast.
Yeah, it makes sense, it would just make the combat more clunky and less flowy. Fighting would change from situational punching and kicking to repatative punches and then repatative kicks, whatever button you hold down (I would only use kicks, it would work, but it'd just be like a lame one-move button masher). Also, kicks and punches are only executed at different ranges, which you wouldn't be able to pick out as fast as Turner would automatically do.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:41 am

Who's ever played the game Time Commando for Pc?
that game was alright for its time. it had the capability of Fighting with two type of Swings by ctrl and left and right. i how ever just did the constant kicking with ctrl forwards in melee.

i think the Running towards some one and attack being Kick is good. there is not a hell of a lot to change in the Combat system unless David implements Shields. only thing that you can change is how they attack, vary the moves a bit.

By the way... if David is going to implement Tower Shields they got to implement Roman Military tactics to some of the NPCs. that would be so cool if Turner Charged a Bunch of Romans with a Rabbit Kick. but i Highly Doubt that.

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:59 am

Tower shields are a bit clunky, gimme a buckler and I'll be fine... maybe bash someone with the little metal ball in the middle :D

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:29 pm

One of the things I'm most interested in is how David is going to implement more moves and such while staying true to the context-sensitive control system and not straying from that. I think even making different buttons for punch and kick might be straying from the course too much, but that's just me.

I just think it's going to be a problem for him when he has to contemplate it. Burn the bridge when you come to it.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:21 am

Perhaps the new moves come in different styles that you can pick and study (perhaps customize), rather than all together.

If that's the case, I'm sort of hoping you can switch between different styles at will, depending on the situation. That may be too complex, but the range of possibilities and combinations might be awesome (anyone knows Gen in the Street Fighter Alpha series?).

Edit:

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:37 am

Well what do you mean? Like aggressive attacks and Quicker attacks?
i could think you press TAB for that. maybe with Aggressive you become more susceptible to Reversals but you do Higher DAMAGE. but with Quicker you are less likely to be Revers or miss, but the Damage is Low..

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:46 pm

I think he means, like, different forms of karate like Ninjutsu and Tae-Kwon-Do. I'm probably off on those spellings or whatever. I'm ignorant of the facts.