Lugaru 2 - Stealth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:59 am

MacWiggy wrote:"Stealth distractions are pretty useless though, they had them in the Xbox version of Farcry but seriously, no one ever used that. "

I haven't played FarCry, but in every stealth game I've ever played distractions helped a lot. Like in "The Warriors" video game, you can throw objects at stuff without leaving your hiding spot, and then the enemys will rush over there to see what happened and you make your escape. Same as Splinter-Cell and Deus Ex.
Well the original Farcry for the pc had really simple stealth, you hide under a bush and take potshots at the enemy's head (And I mean rediculesly easy underneath a bush). But then farcry for consoles put in rock throwing along with branch traps. (although it was never forced, they just threw it into the game) They expected you to set up branch traps and then lure people into them with rocks. The console game was a friggin shoot em' up though, the amount of time it took to down one enemy like that was pointless, you just aim at head and shoot.

Games like splinter cell and Deus-ex (where killing mass people is fairly tough), that kind of stealth is okay. We'll have to see if it could actually be usefull for lugaru 2 though, (it certainly could, depending on how fast paced the game is. Even though they're focused on hand to hand combat, they wanted to add in every option like stealth and diplomacy so... You know, it could work out really well) for lugaru 1 though, normal combat is fast paced, and stealth is even faster ( I mean fast man, like 10 seconds for a challenge). So there wouldn't be much need for wasting your time doing distractions, for Lugaru 1 at least...
God damnit I ranted for no reason, Lugaru 2 could use distractions.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:45 am

Those who don't know the goodness of stealth and distractions would lose at hitman and other games like that. Hard.
People should have more patience regarding games. Waiting behind a corner to kill a guard after he seperates with another one, is by far much better and rewarding than going rambo and get yourself shot fighting against 5 guards at a time while the alarm summons even more. :?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:08 am

Except in Hitman it's easier to go rambo than to actually use stealth.

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:27 pm

Well, yeah, but it's not nearly as much fun as sneaking, planning, and perfectly executing your target. ;D
And on the harder difficulties, you can't really go completely apesh*t crazy without looking like a piece of Swiss cheese in a matter of seconds.
...Y'know, if cheese bled.

Anyfruit, on topic, I like the stealth in Lugaru.
It feels good sneaking around, breaking spines and slitting throats.
It is also very optional, although in some levels sneaking feels like a very obvious choice to avoid getting overwhelmed. (That's just me though)
Not that it's a bad thing.
Some distraction would be nice, but it's not needed.
But something simple like hitting a wall with your sword to lure an enemy closer would probably be possible?

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:48 am

Zaphon wrote:But something simple like hitting a wall with your sword to lure an enemy closer would probably be possible?
Yes, wouldn't be hard to implement, and you won't need a whole new key bound to it :D. Would make the guards seem more real, like if they hear something (caused by you or not) then they go investigate or something (or not depending on if they were told to stay there no matter what)

NickD

Post by NickD » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:51 pm

You should be able to put a lot more than just 8 characters in one map. It's hella bootsey in Lugaru 1. Woah! They changed the style of the forums! That's hella tight. Is that from L2, or is it just some random ghost town?

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:13 pm

It's the same as in the blog, concept art by Ninjas.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:41 pm

NickD wrote:You should be able to put a lot more than just 8 characters in one map. It's hella bootsey in Lugaru 1. Woah! They changed the style of the forums! That's hella tight. Is that from L2, or is it just some random ghost town?
There won't be any "maps," just the island, so yeah there's going to be helluvalot of them you can put :P.

NickD

Post by NickD » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:10 pm

that's awesome. So, there's basicly going to be 1 huge level? wont the game be hella lagy or wont they have to make everything disapear in a 5 inch radius? wait...... how do you know all this? do you help out on L2 or do you talk to David frequently?

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:46 pm

NickD wrote:that's awesome. So, there's basicly going to be 1 huge level? wont the game be hella lagy or wont they have to make everything disapear in a 5 inch radius? wait...... how do you know all this? do you help out on L2 or do you talk to David frequently?
No, there's an engine where anything you can't see won't be rendered (something like Culling or something like that) and I'm sure there'll be a permanent fog so you can't see past a certain distance to enhance FPS.

And no I don't work with David, he just mentioned that ti's going to be open-ended (and we discussed traveling and such) so I assume it's jsut going to be a big chuck of land you can explore. I don't work with David cause I have no skillz, and if I did I probably wouldn't be suggesting stuff :P

So I guess you can say that what I said about the huge land mass isn't true, I COULD be wrong, I jsut know that, looking at the blog, it's definately either going to be the huge chunk of land, or REALLY big maps (and if he can have than many guys with that many polygons/tris on screen at the same time I'm sure that he'll be able to have tons of enemies at a time).

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:54 pm

Having lots of charachters on a map/level can be problematic. RAMwise and funwise. If there's 5 wolves around every corner, stealth becomes impossible. And don't even try to Rambo your way through a camp filled entirely with wolves. No one has a six-pack that big.
One scenario where billions of people are good is the Warring type. You know, where two armys meet on a field, and they charge down the hill yelling "Freedom!!" or "Charge!!" or possibly "Yeaauuuugh!!".

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:15 pm

MacWiggy wrote:Having lots of charachters on a map/level can be problematic. RAMwise and funwise.
That's easily solved by making the map bigger :P
And getting a Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:35 pm

I'll buy Lugaru 2 for 40 bucks, tops. I wouldn't, however, spend 5000 dollars on making my computer beefier, just to play a level that takes several hours to beat. Long levels are like Windows 98. It takes ages to remove everything, you end up sputtering and dying 90% of the time, any tools you have will probably end up being useless, and halfway through, you'll do something wrong, and have to start the whole thing over again. I prefer the aforementioned war type level, which is like Mac OSX. Everything is right there were you can see it, and gets done faster. (Someone needs to make a Braveheart video game!)

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:38 pm

And don't tell me they already made one, because it sucked @$$.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:51 pm

I just dropped the latest dual core AMD model into my computer and added a second SLI graphics card to my machine for about $290.  That is going to be much more than enough to handle Lugaru 2 at top quality.  I've always been confused about people complaining about their ancient PCs...  Why not just upgrade it?  This doesn't apply to Mac users, of course.