New Climbing Idea

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Oblivion7456

New Climbing Idea

Post by Oblivion7456 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:50 pm

I've been playing around with throwing weapons lately and an idea came to me when I stuck a knife in a wooden fence. So let's say you throw a knife (or sword, etc.) at a wall made of a soft material (such as wood); it sticks in the wood. You can then jump up to whatever you threw, and hold on, using it as some form of monkey bar. If the object is big enough (eg; a spear), then you could pull yourself onto the object, and them jump from that postition. Or use it to get the drop on someone Batman style. Just an idea.

resyduldamage

Re: New Climbing Idea

Post by resyduldamage » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:01 pm

amazing idea i say put it in the game but it may be very difficult because weapons cause damage and are not made to stand on and it would be very hard to convert damage to texture that quickly :D just letting you know

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Well, I'd imagine that animating the process would be the hardest part. Because the weapons don't cause damage based on physical collisions, the damage thing is no issue. But it isn't a bad idea.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:39 am

Korban3 wrote:Well, I'd imagine that animating the process would be the hardest part. Because the weapons don't cause damage based on physical collisions, the damage thing is no issue. But it isn't a bad idea.
But it would look silly if you stood on a sword's blade. That won't be a problem though, since the weapons already have sharpness maps to tell which parts of them are sharp.

There's lots of other issues with the idea though, like pathfinding. AI wouldn't be able to follow the player.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:00 am

Well, I've said before that you could make a node path that creates nodes for both position change and actions such as climbing a ledge, wall running, climbing up a spear and such. That way the AI knows where you did something and what you did so that it can replicate the actions. It's probably not the most efficient way of getting a parkouring AI to follow you, and the only things it can do are what you did rather than it's own movements.