Overgrowth combat mechanic idea: poisons

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
BionicleManF

Overgrowth combat mechanic idea: poisons

Post by BionicleManF » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:13 pm

the idea came to me through a dream, no seriously!

there would be many types of poisons for all sorts of situations, both lethal and non-lethal. Here are some examples:
wasp venom, a non-lethal poison, causes target extreme pain, making it very easy to KO them.
Cobra Nero toxin, an extreme case of lethal poison, causes the target no pain but an instant loss of motor control along with slight hallucination, immediately followed by death.

there are also quite a few systems to deliver poisons to targets, from needles attached to the hand, and blowguns and other launching weapons, or to simply put the poison on a blade.

it would also be nice if you could give me more ideas of poisons to make the game mechanic more interesting!

Korban3

Re: Overgrowth combat mechanic idea: poisons

Post by Korban3 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:16 pm

Don't forget to slip it into their food!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Like the Assassin's Creed Revelation's addition of bombs, I find this idea gimmicky, unnecessary, and and overkill of tactic options.
The sheer fact that there are many different options you *could have used* at any given point can actually severely take away from the experience.

I think a single poison-esque item could be given some consideration though.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:36 pm

The new Assassin's Creed has bombs? That's tarded. Yeah, I'd imagine that having too many poison things going on could detract from Overgrowth.

last

Post by last » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:50 pm

how do you thiks those poisons should be inserted into enemyes bodyes? makeing a poisoned blade is pointless, arrows shooted out of bows or crossbows, also pointless. I mean if you allready have a weapon that kills almost with 1 hit, why make it more powerful with some poison? Overgrowth weapon fights are almost real, 1 hit 1 kill. In the future it depends on where you got hit and how much armor did you have.
Also if you think there is a way to insert poisons into someones body, then enemyes should have also that option to insert poison into your body.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Mm hm. Slip it into the water supply. Maybe you get a stealthy mission where your goal is to take an animal corpse and throw it into a reservoir. Or you have to pose a servant and drop some poison into a wealthy warlords drink one night. I dunno, gotta get creative. It is a poisoning after all.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Aside from specific missions, as you said Korban, I fear poisons would cripple the usefulness of combat, the ones that cause death I mean.

Some sort of tool on the lines of a japanese metsubishi¹, used by ninja and japanese officers during the Tokugawa period, perhaps a simple smoke bomb, tools used to get out of a tight spot, such as being hugely outnumbered, or give you a slight advantage but that don't cause actual damage, would fit better in my opinion.

Anyway, my 2 ¢ents.

¹ A small box with ground pepper inside, on one side there's a lid, on the other a small nozzle to blow on, it's pretty much the ancient variation of a pepper spray.

cowfusion

Post by cowfusion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:10 am

Intially I thought, yes sure, poisons are a good combat idea. Then I thought, what could be better than that? And I realised Tanks. Yes, the M1 Abrams or the Russian built T-90 in the right fluffy hands could be a devastating counter against even a horde of skilled mêlée opponents. Plus the M1 has 13cm of composite steel, ceramic and kevlar armor capable of withstanding close range direct hits from Iraqi rockets so I am confident it could withstand a bo staff strike from your average ronin house cat. Few rabbits, when presented with the choice, would choose a pair of nunchaku over the strength and mobility of an armoured personnel carrier. Whilst it is true that ninjas didn't traditionally employ a tank as frequently as the kusari-gama or sai I feel that, as master assassins, they would embrace a more lethal killing option such as the modern armoured fighting vehicle. Now I understand the devs have a lot on their plate but they've stated that their release date is flexible, I assume to allow the inclusion of clever game mechanics (see Tanks). Just imagine getting your ass handed to you by an aikido trained hare only for you to return in a battle tank and crush his family in his warren beneath the tred of your Abrams armoured behemoth before blowing the top off his favourite head and the fortified bunker he was cowering in.

Give it some thought, that's all I ask.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:53 am

Nah, tanks would take too much of the focus away from the unarmed combat. I mean, you'd need a sword to cut through the armor, and if you had no sword, what are you supposed to do? You'd have to wait until it tries to run over you and then time the reversal to roll under it and destroy the engine, or something.

Then again, if you had a sword, it wouldn't be any worse than any other armored opponent. If you had the katana, it'd still slice it in one strike, and if you had anything else, it'd still be like three hits most. Although if there were multiple tanks, you'd really need the katana, since worse swords would break down after like 5 or 6 strikes or something.

Same applies for blocking the rockets that explode into flesh-shredding shrapnel whenever they hit you or the ground near you - without a sword to cut through the rocket or the cloud of impenetrable shrpanel, you're dead, but once you have the katana (which blocks all missiles automatically) you've negated the only trick of an armored, multi-ton machine armed with a cannon, several machineguns and the handlers' personal weapons, whose average speed on uneven, off-the-road terrain is faster than the top speed of fastest humans sprinters in optimal conditions.

So yeah, while tanks could be awesome, I think they'd move too much of the focus away from unarmed combat and into using the katana. In fact, adding tanks might even make the katana seem overpowered.

cowfusion

Post by cowfusion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:06 am

Imagine if famed 13th century master craftsman Masamune Okazaki had stopped making swords and turned his metalworking talents to tanks.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:13 am

The world would never be the same...
Disciplined and peaceful, perhaps, but not the same.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 am

cowfusion wrote:Imagine if famed 13th century master craftsman Masamune Okazaki had stopped making swords and turned his metalworking talents to tanks.
I've seen that anime!

(Actually, I haven't. I did see Katanagatari though, which had a famous master craftsman stop making swords in favour of weird and incredible things which he still called "swords".)

cowfusion

Post by cowfusion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:15 am

Did anyone see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? Good film, but would have been better if the Green Destiny that Zhang Ziyi stole was a Chinese tank. Then it would make more sense that Li Mu Bai would try to get it back. The end fight scene on the tree tops probably would have taken place at the base of the trees although I doubt it would have been any less spectacular.

There seems to be somewhat of a consensus amongst the community now calling for the addition of tanks. Poison though has fallen out of favour.

For those still sitting on the fence, here is the tank scene from Golden Eye http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMX7_z4ixFQ
Imagine a rabbit in the place of Pierce Brosnan and perhaps you will better understand my vision.
Last edited by cowfusion on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:19 am

Speaking of tanks, I just want Wolfire to give up on this whole silly Overgrowth business and get back to making SMALL TANK. Now that's a game I was really looking forward to. Shame these stupid rabbits showed up and delayed its development :|

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:07 pm

cowfusion wrote:For those still sitting on the fence, here is the tank scene from Golden Eye http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMX7_z4ixFQ
While that was awesome, I noticed a distinct lack of swords. That's exactly what I'm talking about! If you implement tanks, you need to put swords everywhere to counter them. For example, check out this scene from Full Metal Alchemist, a katananime:
http://youtu.be/jsxyxEPZ8Qs

The only easy way of implementing tanks would be a kind of rock-paper-scissors game, where tanks are used to catch something with powerful weaponry that swordsmen have trouble with. Like, say, helicopters. Because tanks can jump much higher than unassisted rabbits, they won't have any trouble striking the helicopters down from the sky.
http://youtu.be/ut71Sxyy98U